Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatever you call it, how do you make it? Do you use leftover bread or cornbread? A seasoned mix? What goes into it, nuts, fruit, giblets?

I have my own favorite recipe (Stovetop and cornbread) but I thought I'd try something new and I'm overwhelmed with variations.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
sorry no help here-Stove Top and DH only wants the Turkey one. I'm not "allowed to mess w/ it. No nuts,cranberries nuthin'. Just like mom made??lol
When I was a kid we went toa restaurant and their stuffing was peppery,w/ giblets and it seems brown rice. LOVED it until mom thought it was funny to tell me what giblets were.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I make a traditional stuffing with day old bread, celery, onion, butter, Bell's poultry seasoning, etc...

A suggestion, if you want to get creative with the stuffing try mixing the "new" ingredients into a small portion of your regular stuffing mixture and filling the smaller tail cavity, under the large flap of skin, with the experimental stuffing.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
fw, in the South most folks call it dressing and it's cooked separately from the bird. My great-grandmother's recipe called for it to be made into oblong patties to be baked. Most people make it in a casserole dish or a baking dish like a 9 x 13. Mine is moist but I wouldn't say it's wet before baking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I do it both ways stuffing and dressing. IMO the stuffing in the bird has a little more flavor and is usually a little more moist than the separate pan of dressing.

If you have leftover turkey or chicken you can make a one dish meal by adding chunks of cooked poultry to your batch of dressing prior to baking, serve it with gravy. You will see variations of this in Southern/Soul Food and Pennsylvania Dutch cookbooks. It is a tasty way to stretch a small amount of poultry.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Aunt Bea, I love to add turkey to the dressing & douse it in gravy.
Although I know how to make dressing & have made a really good recipe with sausage in it, my DH, like FWs DH, really just likes stove top turkey flavor. Not Chicken. He does't want anything added either. Oh well, it's Ok with me . I got us stocked up on the Kroger sale last week. When it is just two of us, I make 1/2 the package.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FW, we don't put it in the bird any more, mostly because we don't buy a big, whole turkey. That's too much for the two of us. The second reason is that DH uses a fast, higher heat cooking method where the cavity has to be empty. And third, we like it crispy on the edges, so I use a pan in the oven (but it's still called stuffing, dressing is for salads)

Anybody ever made a stuffing sandwich after Thanksgiving?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
CH-guilty!lol I also like to mix and add the turkey, gravy and stuffing. I got in big trouble for that though. YOU BETTER EAT THAT and not just be playing w/ your food!hahahaha! I'm a mixer. Now KFC markets it. We do call it the dog food bowl here though. I also used to pat my pizza w/ a napkin as a kid because it was too greasy and got yelled at for bad behavior in a restaurant. Once Cholesterol was "invented" Dmom did apologise. I love watching the cooking things where they are asked to reimagine old foods. I dont salt the bird but use a stick of butter and soy sauce for a brown crispy skin. We are just doing the breast this time.Ds is the turkey leg guy and the rest went to the dogs here. Every year it seems we froze the breast and didnt make broth. About March out it went??

ILC-thanks. Dmom cooks Southernish but doesnt realize it.Her fried chicken is identical to Alabama fried chicken and sounds like her stuffing is too. Yeah,dressing is putting on clothes or for salads. The patty thing intrigues me and the fact you know anything about a great grandma. My moms mom passed when she was like 12 and dads mom passed when she was 16 and i thing why they came here for work from England to Detroit

Winkie-sausage. that sounds good. DH would be all over that. He's like what else could you put in it. 'm like walnut,brown rice,cranberries. Hes like that would be fine. I bet chorizo in it would perk his ears.

NOOOOWWW I want stuffing and pineapple upside down cake and spaghetti salad. I want to skip the potaotes but Dh would pout.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I start with soften the onions in butter, then add sliced mushrooms, then add diced apples, then raisins, I have already made this and its in the freezer, I will take it out and follow the instructions on the pepperidge farm blue bag. I make it on the stove top not in the oven. family & friends love it.
I have never had the stove top one.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Well I was not going to make "stuffing" ( I am in the dressing goes on my salad camp). Was skipping because I really love it and know I would end up eating most of it! Reading this post made me crave it to much though and have not had it in at least 3 years o it is time! Hubby will prob eat a tiny bit but will spend his carbs on other things he likes better. I have never seen a diabetic that stays on plan like he does.....365 days a year!.....but he is rewarded for it by normal blood sugar levels for 2 years now and no meds.

So I stopped at small grocery today and was going to buy the pepperige farms cubes but small store means limited selection so I got a box of the Marie calendars seasoned cubes and will follow the directions on the box for addding butter, onion, celery and veg broth and may add the optional egg? I will just make half the box and am thinking I will do the slow cooker option and use my new 2qt casserole crockpot. I did buy fresh mushrooms to sauté and add too. I can't buy the stove top because they all have chicken in the ingredients.....so have to make my own to make it vegetarian. I have gone the dry my own bread route when I made it before but not this year.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Hi, TDN! Good to see you!

fw, my great-grandmother (my dad's grandmother) was a wonderful lady. She stayed sharp till she died at 99 years and 11 months. When I was in college we were visiting her (she lived in Alabama and we in Georgia) and she understood what my major was--special education. She said, "Oh, handicapped children!" and we discussed it for a few minutes. Her picture was on the front page of the Montgomery newspaper when she died because she was the matriarch of a locally prominent family. She took my dad to church when he was a child and he owed his religious upbringing to her because his parents didn't attend church much. And oh, she could cook. She was known as "Sweetheart" by just about everyone. I have a couple of little notes she wrote me when I was a young girl and I cherish them.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
ILC-thanks great story.We just cant seem to make it that far. Dmom is 84 and my dads mom passed at 84 so we shall see. My Dmom is still in pretty goodish shape. I mean shes active and thin.

Never heard of egg in stuffing. I am thinking walnuts this year? Dh may not squauk because he like walnuts.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FW, a little egg (mixed in with the other liquid) in your stuffing will make it hold together in more of a loaf, and keep it from being really crumbly.

Reactions: NikoSan999 and TDN

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
FW, a little egg (mixed in with the other liquid) in your stuffing will make it hold together in more of a loaf, and keep it from being really crumbly.
That's what I was thinking it was for contrary,

I also have a recipe from a precious old lady friend of mine who died in her 90's ......stuffing balls.....she made them every year for her family. I made them for my family once but honestly my family does not like change......not even the tiniest bit! I remember liking them.....basically the stuffing formed into balls.......might make them but prob will go with the crockpot or bake in oven.......

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After I posted that I thought I remembered hearing that some people also put chopped cooked egg into their stuffing. But I've never tried that. I suppose over the years people have tried everything in stuffing. And you like what your grandma made, which was probably what she had in the vegetable bin or pantry that week. I have heard of people that use crackers instead of bread crumbs. Or add white rice. I think those are recipes of necessity.

I saw a recipe for sausage and cheese stuffing balls on Pinterest. That might be a good football game snack. And I saw one wrapped in bacon. Dh would probably eat that. I don't know that I would serve them at Thanksgiving, but might be a good party app. I like the idea of stuffing muffins, though, especially if I was serving buffet style.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts