Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my first pair of contacts today. Im to wear them for a week then report back as too if my eye balls try to eat themselves.

But i cant get them in. I keep dropping them on the floor or flinching and screwing it up.

They showed me at the office. hold eyes open and shove contact onto eye, lock left, look right, then shut your eye and tap the eyelid to get the air out. Look down and blink a few times. Done.

I cant get the contacts onto my eyeballs. I guess i keep hitting the lashes or something.

Anyone have any secrets to this?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I always look way up and way over to the right and poke the lens in onto the white of my eyes. If it touches anywhere else, I will blink. Also, sometimes it helps to put a drop of saline into the lens before putting it in, the liquid sticks to the eye better so it would fall out as easy.

It gets easier after a while. I was 17 when I first got contacts, many years ago. I was in high school and had to add an extra 30 minutes onto my morning routine to put my contacts in. lol Now I can put them in and out without even looking.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Make sure you do notput them in upside down. Use saline.

The lens will roll like a taco if it is right side up after a drop of saline.

It also helps to not think of it going on your eye. Just think other thoughts!:idea:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i have them in and now the world looks soo diffrent. Im afraid that they will pop out. Will they?

·
Registered
578 Posts
My soft lenses pop out if my eyes get watery or if I bump them. I've been wearing contacts close to 17 years.

I tried hard lenses for a month or two - and those just did not work for me. It was very uncomfortable. Changed to disposables, instead.

It might be a good idea to keep extra solution, your case, and your glasses close by 'til you get used to wearing them.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i never had one come out unless i rubbed my eye and it stuck to my finger. as long as you got them in properly, they should stay in till you take them out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. One more crazy question. How do you know if you put it on inside out? I think i put the left eye like that because it felt weird and would get a little blurry sometimes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
To tell if the contact is inside out, take the contact and lay it rounded side down, like a bowl, on your hand. Lay it at the end of your pinky finger, where the crease/line on your palm ends. Fold your pinky just a bit so the lens 'bends'. If it folds over and tries to stick to itself like a taco shape, it is ready to go into your eye. If it flips the other way, it is inside out.

My eye doctor showed me that trick. Some people can look at theirs and know if they are inside out or not, but I can't.

G

·
I had contacts for a few years - I can remember that they wouldn't let me take them home until I could put them in myself at the doctor's office - took me about an hour and a half. It is definitely a learning thing!

I found that the easiest thing was to look away instead of straight at the contact. And do it two handed - I'd use my left hand to hold the top eyelid up, and then with the right hand use the middle finger to hold the lower eyelid part down and the index finger to hold the contact. I can remember watching a video where the woman used one hand to get them in - I could never figure that out!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
What I do is take the lens out of the soaking container, rinse it with saline and let it sit in my palm in the solution or on my finger tip and see if it curves up like a bowl. If its slightly warped then I re-spritz it with saline and give it a gentle massage and re-sit it on my finger. Even after I put it in, if it doesnt feel or sit right, I just take it out, rinse and start all over again and flip it inside out.

The only time mine come out are when they're dry - usually at the 12 hour mark and after. Or when my eyes are super itchy b/c Im around pets or when I rub my eyes.

Sometimes I pop them out and rinse with saline and pop em back in - depending on the day or take em out and soak for a few hours until I need to put them back in again to go out later that evening, after work for example. (Get home at 5pm and remove contacts and wear glasses. Around 8.30pm put them back in and head out the door for the night at 9pm etc)

I used to bring my contact kit - small make up case with spare lens holder, saline, and glasses in their hard case. It was always in the car just in case.

To put them in, you need to pry your eyes open or pull down the bottom lid wide enough for the lens to fit in w/o touching and look off to the side as you put it onto the whites of your eyes. This way you wont scratch your actual eye. Once you feel its on, cup your hand below your eye in case it falls out, shut eye slowly - do not allow yourself to squint or else they will slide off b/c your eyes natural reaction is to get this foreign obeject out asap! With your eye closed, just keep moving your eye around slowly - left, right, up and down. I used to put mine in 1/2 - 1 hr before going out to ensure I was ok with wearing em that day.

It just takes practice and patience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts