Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new comptuer yesterday - a Dell with Windows Vista...and I'm already having problems!:pdoff:

I tried installing an ActiveX Control yesterday from a site I trust, and since then keep getting an error message - though it seems to be fixed now, I'm not 100% sure. I find all sorts of information about the error message for old systems (XP or earlier) but none for Vista. Grrr... If I get the error message again I'm going to call Microsoft Support, but it doesn't open for another few hours...

I also keep having problems with my internet connection. It keeps telling me that I'm not connected and tries to get my permission to connect, even though I'm already connected to the internet. :weeping: It is quite frustrating!!! I'm not sure if this is a known bug with Vista or what, but it's annoying me. And I'm not able to connect to some websites either, due to a firewall that is supposedly blocking me, even though my firewall is configured correctly to allow the connections.

I knew that I'd have some problems with Windows Vista, because it is a new system and it is from microsoft, but seriously - I thought the problems would wait to come for at least the first few days I had it!!!

And to top it off, despite BLIZZARD WARNINGS in effect until 6 pm tonight, my college is not closed for the day!!!!

Sigh.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Have you tried calling Dell and talking to a customer service rep? I think you paid enough for the computer that they should give you some free advice.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My DS (teenager) said that Vista has it's problems. You should call the service line to help.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I hope you get the bugs out of your new computer and can enjoy it soon.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just (four days ago) got a brand new Dell with Windows Vista Business on it, and I found the Dell support site (support.dell.com) very helpful. I didn't bother spending hours sifting through all the info on the site; I just sent them an email through the site about my specific problem and they got back to me within 24 hours. Sorry that things aren't going well....I hope the computer shapes up soon so you can start enjoying it!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I just got a new HP computer 4 days ago with Vista. It crashed today so I took it back to the store and got another one. I am really hating Vista right now. I also hate IE7 which has its own problems. I downloaded Firefox so I hope that helps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know (I think) that other people are having problems with Vista too. It seems that I fixed the one problem due to the ActiveX control, and so far it hasn't asked me anymore if I want to connect to the internet. I am enjoying it, it's very pretty... and the bugs will work themselves out over time. After all, it's a new windows system and will take a while to get fixed. I'll have to go to the dell site sometime and get info from there (and call them if need be too).

In other frustrating news, my car died last night. :( First I needed a new computer, but was able to get money up for that. Now my car needs to be repaired and the money for my computer (which I was going to send to my cc where I put my computer) is going to have to go for a car repair. Stupid car. Seriously, if something ELSE goes wrong, I'm going to cry.

At least I still have cash to pay for it with and don't have to put it on my cc too.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Vista is too new to rely on. Our school won't switch anytime soon and I wouldn't buy it until at least several versions have come out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My mom just bought a new HP with Windows Vista. I set it up for her yesterday. I installed roboforms for her. She also bought n HP printer, and I had no problem installing it either.
I had trouble with errors installing the AVG free anti spyware, so I had to uninstall it. The AVG free anti virus worked I think.
I will be there tomorrow and I will check the status. Norton is the product that came with the computer, but AVG Free is free and very reliable.

My new HP Pavilloin computer will be here next week as well. I paid 768.00 for everything.
I saved almost 400 dollars and got a flat screen monitor for 50.00, and got a free all in one printer (after rebates). PM me if you want the details.
Anyways,
I am excited, and I think automatic updates can help with the new OS. I also use live chat, seems better than any other type of support.
Don't forget the Microsoft website, they have alot of chat forums there too!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just got a laptop a few weeks ago and it has Vista. I HATE Vista. I am asking around to see if anyone has a copy of XP they could let me use. Good luck! Vista stinks. :furious:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm still using win98! I see no real reason to change. I use firefox as my browser also but still have to keep internet explorer for some websites and links who won't let me use firefox! I can't upgrade the ienplorer, either, since I don't have windows XP or later. I purposely didn't install Iexplorer's mail program since it's always been a terrible security risk as an email program.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I purchased a new Dell with Windows Vista and haven't had any problems yet, but I am sure they will come eventually. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there are no problems here!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like Firefox too, and had it on here but had to deinstall it... I will probably reinstall it later this week.

Yeah, Vista sucks more or less, but overall I still like it. It has problems, but mainly now it's compatability issues. I have a web cam that I can't use because it won't work with Vista - I can get the program installed but the computer won't recognize that the camera is installed. And when I installed the software, it made my DVD player messed up (the sound was bad), then when I deinstalled it my DVD player is perfect again. So now I have a non useable webcam... Maybe I can sell it and get a new one that'll work with Vista... (I use it to talk to my fiance in Germany, to save money on phone bills). I also have a driver that won't work, that I have to check on too (it's nothing major though).

It's a pain to have such a new windows, but it's a good computer overall and I think eventual downloads and updates for other programs will take care of my problems. I just have to be careful what I get for programs right now and make sure they work with Vista.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I like Firefox too, and had it on here but had to deinstall it... I will probably reinstall it later this week.

Yeah, Vista sucks more or less, but overall I still like it. It has problems, but mainly now it's compatability issues. I have a web cam that I can't use because it won't work with Vista - I can get the program installed but the computer won't recognize that the camera is installed. And when I installed the software, it made my DVD player messed up (the sound was bad), then when I deinstalled it my DVD player is perfect again. So now I have a non useable webcam... Maybe I can sell it and get a new one that'll work with Vista... (I use it to talk to my fiance in Germany, to save money on phone bills). I also have a driver that won't work, that I have to check on too (it's nothing major though).

It's a pain to have such a new windows, but it's a good computer overall and I think eventual downloads and updates for other programs will take care of my problems. I just have to be careful what I get for programs right now and make sure they work with Vista.
Sometimes if you go to the website of the product, you can update the drivers to ones that are compatible with Vista. I am waiting for the one to come out for my printer. It is suppose to be ready in April.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts