Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to barter or make my Christmas gifts this year and need help with some suggestions. I've got my mom covered but need ideas for the rest of my family.

I need suggestions for my kids

a 10 year old boy loves the outdoors and building stuff
a 12 year old boy- video game enthusiast
13 year old boy/girl twins boy- loves to read girl -hard to buy for
a 16 year old girl- again hard to buy for

My dad who is a DIY kinda guy
My brother who adores video games and music
And my husband who always says he doesn't need anything but I'd like to do something for him this year

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
For the 10 year old boy you might consider a rocket, if there's a safe place to set it off. This was a hit with grandson. A flashlight in the stocking would probably go over well too. My grandson also liked those sets sold on Amazon ( no doubt on other places as well, but that's where I bought his) that you use to create electrical circuits. There are also more advanced items along these lines. Does the 12 year old have a video game chair? I got one off freecycle that's still being used 5 years later. For the 16 year old girl I might put together some gift cards and put them on a standing photo display designed for wallet sized pictures. I would have loved that and a bottle of my favorite perfume... HTH

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
If your dad doesn't have a good way to get homemade food at home, then you could make some frozen meals or baked treats for him to have in his freezer, or give gift certificates that invite him to share a meal with your family and then make his favorite meals when he comes over. Or make up some gift certificates good for things like a batch of cookies of his choice once a month for the next year, or a homemade pie or batch of bars, etc. Doing something once a month like that would spread out the work and cost for you and he wouldn't have to try to use everything up right away so it didn't get frosty in the freezer, and he could enjoy the gift all year long.

For the ten yo, see if you can set up a simple toolbox for him with basic tools that would be all his own. Ask around at construction sites or call some wood contractors and see if they will allow you salvage scrap lumber for your son to work with and build things. You may be able to get a good variety for free. If your dad is a DIYer and is looking for gift ideas for your son, maybe he would be interested in either buying some tools to gift to your son, or passing down some of his own spare tools, which might be meaningful for your son if he got to have some of Grandpa's tools to use on his own projects.

Check Buy , Sell , Search Textbooks , Music , Movies & Games Online at Half.com for discounted video games, DVDs, and music CDs.

I like the idea of getting a game chair through Freecycle. Maybe you could find other free things, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts