Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has any big plans.

I am going to a summer seasonal job in Sitka, Alaska for 4 months. Hoping it turns out to be fun. I have no idea what to expect really as I have never been there. After I get back, I have a family week in Florida. I am then heading for Phoenix AZ for my fall seasonal job from mid- Oct to mid-Dec. After that I am gonna just wing it and probably do a lot of camping around the AZ and Southern CA area before coming home to Colorado in the early spring.

I've already figured out that being a bit of a snowbird is kind of nice. Head north in the summer and south in the winter and enjoy spring and early fall in my home state. I retired 2 years earlier than my spouse, so he can't go with me for a while longer. That is why I have been just grabbing a few seasonal jobs, I knew I would be bored just sitting around waiting for him to be able to retire. I may as well make a little money to put toward a travel fund for some fun stuff for both of us later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am going to a summer seasonal job in Sitka, Alaska for 4 months. Hoping it turns out to be fun. I have no idea what to expect really as I have never been there.
--- ---
The 2 things I can think of....
Take 2 X the cash you think you will need for the time there..
DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES cash in your return flight ticket to "get by"
Good luck..

·
Registered
853 Posts
We are taking our daughter and her family up north for a week on the lake. We rent two side by side cabins for the week so we can spread out a bit. The grandkids are 7 and 11 and full of energy. Dh and I are not. Haha. We’ve been doing this a few years and it’s always a lot of fun.

last summer I was sick for a good part of it and I never even managed to get into our pool which I love. The tumor is removed and I’m feeling tons better and I plan to spend as much time as I can either in the pool or sitting beside it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We don't have any big plans for this summer.. Just to maximize our garden space this year.. Add to our berry bush patch and orchards.. Maintain and improve our chicken flock some..

We are really good at organizing garage sale missions.. Sweetie looks for on line listed sales.. We make a list with addresses and Google Map directions when needed.. We are good at picking up unlisted sales of opportunity on the way between map locations.. This all minimizes time, kilometers driven, fuel and the like.. We really don't need much, but always are on the hunt for bargains on things we will use..

We are allowed multiple black bear hunting tags here.. We don't have to leave the yard to hunt.. We usually have a number of bears go through the yard every season.. We get at least 1 moose hunting tag every year.. Occasionally one will wonder through the yard or close paddocks.. Either or both are a big boost for the freezer.. Either is also most excellent tasting and useful as raw packed, pressure canned meat cubes...

The only one extravagant thing we would like to do this summer is go back to the old 1870s gold mining town that is preserved as a provincial park.. This summer will be our 3 rd anniversary of getting married in the old original 1870s church there.. We were married in 1870s costume.. The park staff in costumes had fun playing off us, and us interacting with them while we were there.. We provided wedding cake for everyone in the miners café where we had lunch, including the staff.. All this adding to the confusion of the tourists there that day, they didn't know who was who or hardly what all was going on... It was fun...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
TH sounds like an interesting life. I started clearing wild undergrowth in the back yard last year and will continue this year. I got and planted dozens of free hostas last fall when my friend re-landscaped her yard. More free landscape plants would be great but I can still divide and propagate what I have. Plants that were crowded out by wild ones need fertilizing to bloom again. Yard looks bigger and hopefully less mosquitoes. I have 2 decks and patio space, it would be nice to sit/eat outside more.

·
Super Moderator
20,691 Posts
I'm hoping we can travel more with the camper. We would continue the usual covid mitigation strategies, of course, but 2 things may be problematic. Public showers where masks can't be worn won't work, and indoor spaces meant to attract crowds of tourists aren't workable either. Luckily, I did finish the indoor shower mod for the camper so it's an option although not convenient. Tourists sites can be partially managed by visiting early in the day, although that's not always possible. But we plan to do at least some short trips of 500 miles or less just to see how it goes.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
DH and I were talking about taking a weekend trip through wine country, though right now it's just talk.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I will be staying home and working on my garden. Also, canning, dehydrating, freezing and storing.any harvest the Lord provides. Current project is organizing pantry and making an actual list of what's there. This really needed to be done as I've found some rusted cans to be tossed and several rather old cans that need to be used. Found items that were in short supply and have started picking them up a bit at a time. Hit a sale on one item this week so did a full stock up on that item. I want a hard copy list not on the computer just in case SHTF takes out the computer.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
well lots of places are booked up so not sure what we are doing yet. summers are busy and we don't want to travel yet much. maybe some day trips or just book hotel for a couple of days. we are just getting though spring busytime too.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Don't really have any plans for summer vacations, although I never have anyway. Work is giving staff three extra days off this summer (around the three 'summer' holidays we already get). So the most I'm thinking of doing is going up to the tea shop near the LH farm and just hanging out while I do worldbuilding on my current story WIP. I find that does help a lot with my writing. Other than that, it might be day trips over the weekend, depending on what's going on and my interest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts