Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of course there is the charge for the summer camp.
But what are the extra expenses- maybe even hidden expenses of summer camp that would add to the true cost of camp?

Here are a few I could think of

Gas to and from camp (more $$ if it is a day camp with daily drop offs and pick ups) also more $$ if further away.

Extra clothing We normally only have 3 or so outfits for each child. This won't be enough for a week at sleep away camp.

Swimsuits (ones you don't care if they get muddy or ruined)

Any other expenses you can think of?

·
19,119 Posts
Care packages!!

What will your child need to take that you would need to duplicate to also keep at home - like sunscreen, bug repellent, kleenex, toothpaste.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Haven't done the camp thing for years but from what I can remember....
Are arts/crafts supplies included in price? Swimming costs?

As for gas versus clothes...if it's a sleep away all week or however long and no gas is involved maybe take some of the gas money saved and goodwill or salvation army a few pieces of clothing. Yard sale...

As for the swimsuit...ask if old cutoffs/tank top ( don't know if boy or girl ) would be ok. Again, salvation army etc.

After the camp is over you will have a few more play clothes and won't have to launder another day or two maybe...electric/soap.

Do you have another mother to take turns driving?

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What about stationary supplies, stamps and phone cards...so the homesick kiddos can write or call home? Disposable cameras to capture the memories of camp, so you arnt' sending and expensive camera that could get lost or stolen?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Depending on the type of camp, special clothes for any performances they do. Dd does a theatre camp, and they always need very specific shorts or capris to wear with their camp shirts, and they never let us know what that will be until the week before.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All things I hadn't thought about.

Now I'm nervous about the extras and wonder if summer camp is something we can do.

A family we know set up a scholarship fund after their daughter died. They send two children to YMCA camp each year. They don't take applications they just pick someone they know and want to send.

This year they chose my children. If both of my children go camp is over 1,000. Which will be paid by the scholarship, by this generous family. It is a week long sleep away camp.

So the extras are all we would have to worry about.

But now I'm worried about the $$ of the extras.

By the way, Little Miss is leaning toward going and Buddy is leaning toward not going (he takes longer to warm up to ideas) I have to give the family an answer soon so they can find someone else if we decide not to go.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That is wonderful that your children received the scholarship- you should really encourage them to go. One of my children is very shy and he was a little upset at first, but did have a great time. I know when he went the extra money was for food- they ordered pizza sometimes at night and there was a snack bar- this also was a Y camp. You can call the camp and ask- they'll tell you. I wouldn't stress too much about the money. They will, however, need more than 3 outfits. But what they wear really isn't important- just clothing. If the 3 outfits they have are their only clothing I would try to scrounge up something else as they are going to get dirty and muddy so don't send something super nice. I bet if you ask around you can even find something. I know my kids have tons of t-shirts from various things that they never wear. They are so busy when they are there. I know one day was a dress up day and the kids had to take something funny to wear- dress up as in costumes not dressy clothing. That is a great gift you have been given- I'd do my best to take advantage of it!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.