Frugal Village Forums banner

Will you change your summer vacation plans?

• No change...**** plan on extra cost.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Stay closer to home to save money.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Cancel vacation..can't afford to go now.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 17.9%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the increasing gas and food prices affect your summer vacation plans? If so, what changes will you make?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
This summer, we're going to northern NH so it's not that far. We'll also be taking many day trips. I'm just planning on the extra costs. Next year (hopefully), we'll go to Disney. We're waiting not because of costs, but because of ds's ages.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Luckily we live in an area that has all types of vacation like things to do. We were thinking about renting an RV for a week ( you can rent them at uhaul) to drive to the lake a mile away and camp out in it for a week.
;)
I know after that week, we'll be soooo happy to get back home !!!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We don't take big vacations but this summer will be special since Zac is coming home from Iraq.

We are planning lots of little trips to take Wesley to the zoo, here in town, and the one in Omaha. We are planning a trip to Kansas City, but other than that....not much of anything.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
We had already booked and paid for a cruise on the Delta Queen before all this crunch happened, so we are still going on that. It's the Queen's last voyage before she is retired, and this boat has become dear to us over the years.

We also are flying to California for my niece's wedding, and I almost have enough saved for that trip. I just lack about $100!!!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
We don't go one vacation.
We have a farm. Its 365 days a year.
My son did watch it last year over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
We generally do not do vacations any more. Guess I will have to see where the wind blows us this Summer.

·
Registered
772 Posts
We planned our vacation to Cape Cod a few months ago. Our family is really looking forward to the trip. It is the first one we have had in awhile that is just the 4 of us. Everyone is putting change in our change jar so we can enjoy our time. :)

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
We are not really changing our vacation. We take a big family vacation every summer. Just trying to save extra money.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
i think a family vacation is far too important to cancel.

esp. since dh is the only one working right now, it's super important to me that he get some time off and away.
so we usually take a couple weekend road trips a year as well as a long week vacation somewhere.

we may just stick closer to home this year because of the price of ... well, everything! but, we'll make sure it's relaxing and worth while. :)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
We vacation every year but rarely do we fly anywhere my DH just hates to fly. Cape Cod this year. DD is getting married in the beginning June so the wedding plans have taken over. We will go camping a couple of long weekends one in June and another in August. Our week long vacation to the cape is in July.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We decieded to go ahead and stick with our plans. DD will be 16 this year and this could be the last year we can all get away together.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We have canceled our vacation for this year. We are trying to get our non-mortgage debt paid off this year and this was one thing that could go.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The only vacationing we'll do is camping. I live in the perfect area for that. Lake Tahoe is a few minutes away and so are about 50 (guessing here) different camp grounds.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We are planning for the extra costs. When we visit family in the states, we're going to get gas gift cards with our debit card points.

For driving around here to visit, we'll pack our own food and snacks in coolers rather than eating at quick serve or fast food restraunts to save money.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I know that we'll be taking DD to the zoo for the first time and we'll probably take our camper out (we recovered it last year after it was stolen in 2004! We still need to clean it up a bit though). We went to New England back last fall and I'd LOVE to go back, but gas is toooo much! The beach sounds nice, but DH HATES it. I'd also like to take DD to the ocean.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We will take our vacations and trips.We will plan for extra cost.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
We have a seasonal campsite, so we're not hauling our rv(1978..loll. HEAVY) around. So the only gas is to and from. We'll off set it by not driving all over during the week. I don't anyway. We'll sepend every weekend and 2 1 week periods out there, then it's time for back to school. I'll budget for a little more in gas, but we just downsized our van to a more fuel effecient that that will offset.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts