Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH found a GREAT Black Friday deal on the internet last week...he was able to get a Sunbeam Breadmaker Model 5891 (retail price of $86) for only $15, so it was a steal! I just need to get some bread machine flour and yeast from the grocery store in the morning, and I'll be on my way to making our first loaf of bread for dinner!!!

There are very few recipes in the booklet that came with the machine and I'm having a hard time finding recipes for that model on the internet. Does anyone know if I can use a regular "bread machine" cookbook for this? If so, I will check out some books from the library on the subject.....I'm SOOO excited!

Andrea

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Just want to say what a heck of a deal and enjoy!!

Reactions: acox68

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Congrats on the bread machine!

I currently have a Sunbeam and really like it. Don't know the model..........makes a 2 lb. loaf or less.

What I have liked about it is that it makes a true bread loaf shape.......my others made the round loaf and didn't like that so much..........taste was fine but didn't always fit the appliances.

I use any bread machine recipe.........including the bread machine mixes from the store..........they all have worked for me. Have a couple bread machine recipe books and use them too with no problem.

Have fun............you will love it!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:purpcat:

Thank you both for the information! I was pretty upset that DH bought it at first because I thought we didn't need one, then it was like......hey, we just got a bread machine for fifteen bucks!!! We will get our money's worth in no time!

Doesn't a regular loaf of bread usually cost anywhere from 3.79 to 3.99? I'm really not sure because I don't buy it every week, and when I do buy it, I only buy what's on sale.

Can't wait for tomorrow to get here! hehe My bagged lunches are going to be SOOO much better!

Andrea

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Your house will smell great!! I can usually buy bread on sale for 1.99.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Doesn't a regular loaf of bread usually cost anywhere from 3.79 to 3.99? I'm really not sure because I don't buy it every week, and when I do buy it, I only buy what's on sale.

I do buy quite a bit of bread but can get it for under $2 at the outlet stores.

I buy the breads that have tons of diff. seeds and/or grains in them as it would cost me too much to buy all the stuff to make them............and some would probably go rancid.

So I use my bread machine for wheat bread -----don't buy or use white bread---------or some of the flavored breads.....cinn/raisin or cheese breads, etc. Or to use up some of my buttermilk after making butter.

Can make lots of 'fun type' breads.........and a great gift maker as most people love 'homemade' bread.

·
27,948 Posts
Congratulations! Like frugalfranny said, just follow the recipe, adding ingredients in the order given. I just want to add to check to make sure you are following the recipe for the size bread pan your machine has. Some are only capable of only making a 1lb loaf.
Have fun and we use our breadmaker all the time now for bread. Makes a great pizza dough too!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Darlene! I think it has a 2 lb. loaf capacity, but I'll be sure to follow all directions....I'm SO excited to be making a loaf of bread today. Can't wait for a nice warm slice of bread w/butter!!!

Andrea

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have a Sunbeam too that I bought about 5 years ago on sale for $30.00. I use any recipet written for the bread machine without issues.

·
27,948 Posts
If you want I can post our fav pizza dough recipe. Machine does all the work.:thumb:

I'll post it anyways,lol.

This recipe is from Fleischmann's Yeast Bread Machine cookbook and is our favorite pizza dough. It reminds me of Freschetta PizzaAmore dough. Makes 1lb for 1 12" pizza.

2/3 c. Water
4 tsp Olive or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 c. bread flour
1 1/2 tsp FLEISCHMANN'S Bread machine Yeast
1 Tbsp. Cornmeal

Add in water, oil, salt, bread flour, and yeast to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough/manual cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to a lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in sufficient flour to make dough easy to handle.<--we never have to do that part. For each pizza, grease pan and sprinkle with cornmeal, pat or roll dough into pan. Add toppings and bake 425º for15-25 min.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I haven't purchased a loaf of bread in almost 2 years now. You can buy yeast in 1 or 2 lb packages at Sam's or Costco. Just store it in the freezer and keep a small amount in the fridge for regular use.n It is MUCH cheaper than buying the individual packages or small jars.

Google homemade bread recipes and try some out. There are all types and varieties.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Darlene, thanks for that recipe. I haven't made pizza dough in my machine yet and it sounds perfect. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts