Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until last night, I'd never made bread before. It's kind of intimidating, with all that kneading and resting and rising. But last night I was making spaghetti for dinner and we didn't have any cans of the Pilsbury bread to go with it. Since I never make bread, I didn't have any yeast, so I googled "no yeast bread" and got this (from http://earthnotes.tripod.com/soda-bread.htm):

Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Ingredients
4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1½ cups water
2 tsp vinegar (cider or white)

Combine dry ingredients and mix. Combine water and vinegar. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for two or three minutes (no need to overdo it). Shape into a round (about 1½ to 2 inches high), then place on pan. Dip a sharp knife into flour and cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf. Bake 40 minutes. Remove, and while hot, glaze with 1 tbsp melted or softened butter.

It was fantastic! And it couldn't have been any easier. DH thought this might be "Irish soda bread," but we don't really know...we just know it's good!

·
4,028 Posts
That sounds like a good recipe, i'll be trying it! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you mean by being intimidated by bread making. I think I'm going to give it a try this summer.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Once you get the hang of it baking bread is addictive. I neve could make a decent loaf of bread until I got my Bosch. My Bosch has a kneading arm and it does it to perfection. Most of the time my bread comes out light and fluffy and oh so yummy.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
ooh, I need to try this one. I can make non yeast breads great - but something about me and yeast breads just don't get along, I've tried and tried.....and tried. but they never work for me.....I'll keep trying cause I love to be in the kitchen making things from scratch. I;ve discovered that most flopped yeast breads become really tasty french toast!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Boy do I feel lazy now....:laugh: I bet it was worth all the work!! I cheat and use my bread machine.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Thanks for posting, I might have to try this :)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
That sounds like a great recipe. I have got to give it a try soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts