Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out about a store in our area that sells retail/wholesale so SO and I went Saturday. Kind of reminded me of the grocery section at stores like Big Lots or our Save-A-Lot and Aldi stores. But much better. What a store!!

They had boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.49/lb. Got 15 pounds packed in 3 lb pkgs. I figured why not let them package them ready for the freezer. I just put them in a store plastic bag, tied the bag and put in freezer.

They also had whole fryers for 49 cents/lb; got 4 of those. I'm going to try crockpot rotisserie 2 of them and will probably make chicken and dumpling with other 2.

They had skinless beef franks for $9.99 per 10-case. With spring-summer right around the corner, I stood there imagining a grilled hotdog with mustard, ketchup, onion and relish. Yummmm!! Bought 1 case.

They had frozen green beans for 50 cents/lb (said it was because they were 'odd shapes' because some were longer or shorter than the rest -- who cares!!) Got 5 bags.

They had frozen french fries by the case, packed 6 - 5 lb bags, for $9/case. That comes out to 30 cents/lb.!!! Unreal. The only thing is they're for a deep fryer, not oven-ready. I'll either have to haul out the Fry Daddy or experiment a bit to bake them. I figured if we can't or don't use them all,
we'll give a bag or two away, we'll still be ahead dollar-wise than retail price.

Deli case had lots of yummy looking salads, most of which were under $2/lb. Bought ham salad and bologna salad -- both were yummy.

They had advertised Malt-O-Meal cereals for $1.49 a bag but missed out on those. Instead we got a couple of other off-name boxes for $1.09 a box.

They have a whole aisle of chips/snackies. Some full-sized bags of chips for as low as 79 cents. They were outdated Jay's BBQ, but still tasted fresh to us.

They had a lot of individual juices/sports drinks/etc., but we don't use these. They were definitely priced cheaper than the grocery or convenience stores for those that do.

Am going to go back this week (maybe) and see if they still have the cans of pumpkin -- they had Libbey's brand, big #10 cans like the restaurants/hospitals/etc use for $2. I can open, take what I need and scoop into zipper bags and freeze the rest. I've frozen canned pumpkin before (trying to salvage a mistake) and all you just need to do is drain some of the juice off before you use it. Still makes yummy muffins.

With all of that and a few other things thrown in I only spent $83. Plus they had a special that day and because I spent over $50 I got a coupon for 5% off my next shopping order (gonna save it for a big order to get max discount) If I had spent $100 I would have gotten a 10% off coupon.

I'll definitely be going back to shop there.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow that's awesome! GREAT SHOPPING!

·
Registered
161 Posts
We have a store near us that sounds similar to that one. It's a salvage store, so some of the items are repacked, but most of them are simply marked down. I do have to be careful about expiration dates, but so far I haven't bought anything that was bad. Just one bag of chips that were stale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts