Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you that have a super walmart think that they have better deals than other grocery stores? I have always wanted to browse a super walmart and just found out that there is one 50 miles from here. I am thinking of combining an X-mas shopping trip at the outlets and then going to the Super walmart (these two are next to each other).

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We have 2 super Walmarts in our town and the prices are different in both. The one on the more affluent side of town is higher than the one nearer to the military base and more economically challenged neighborhoods. The differences on prices can be from a few cents to as much as several dollars on higher priced items.

The regular neighborhood Walmarts have better clearance prices, the super Walmarts rarely have good clearance but the small ones have great clearance prices, the lowest price I have seen on seasonal clothing like summer shirts for example are $5.00 but at the smaller ones, the same shirt can go down to $1 or $2. :confused: .

·
Registered
713 Posts
My Super-Walmart does have better prices on most items, so if you're going to be there anyway, definitely check them out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Walmart used to be so financally great... I remember Christmas in 2001... I bought presents for everyone on my list, daughter, husband, mom, dad, stepdad, friends (hubby and wife) their 3 boys, other friends, (Husband and Wife) and their two children, and the neighbor across the street for 300 bucks.

The NEXT YEAR, 300 dollars wouldnt even buy half of what I bought. I dont know what happened... but I think Walmart figured out that people who shop there just assume that their prices are better than other places, or that because you can buy everything in one place while getting the oil changed and tires rotated that people will pay more for the convience, but I think it sucks. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Our Walmart just "upgraded" to Super-status. I loathe Walmart for other reasons, but I have gone in to see prices... it does depend. I can do better with loss leaders/double coupons at the grocery store combined with shopping at Aldi's... for me it is not worth going in there, things don't seem waaaay lower.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I personally think if you have to drive 50 miles to get there and calculate how much money you spend on gas, it has to be worth while to drive there.

I must admit that Walmart does "often" have great prices, it more of a convenience to be able to purchase items and groceries in the same place.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I agree with katybird (Kathy). It depends on what type of neighborhood the walmart is near. Before they rebuilt the walmart nearest to us, it was
a regualr walmart store. I miss it something aweful. The prices went up as soon as they turned it into a super walmart. Only once ina while do I find a really good clearnce item there. However, on dayd to day purchases they are still somewhat cheaper than the store I wish I could afford.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Most items I can do better with sales at my two grocery stores that double my coupons. I just stock up at the lowest sale price, and rarely pay their regular prices for anything. Some things at Wal-mart are a good deal all the time, like Vlasic Sweet Relish in the 10 oz. jar is always $1.00, with my coupon (usually 50¢ off one, sometimes $1.00 off two) the price is 50¢. This is a better price than I can get at the double coupon stores. They very rarely run this item on sale. I also really like the Wal-mart store brand of some items. The pancake syrup is very good, and only $1.33 for a 24 oz. bottle.

You just need to check the prices of items you regularly buy, to see if it is worthwhile to get those things at Wal-mart.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
We have a Super Wal-Mart, but I don't usually grocery shop there; as once I am in the store, there are too many temptations for me!

·
Registered
182 Posts
i use walmart mostly for their store brand products. but i'll admit, once i'm there.. i start to see all of the things that i suddenly remember i "need" and before you know its, ive spent way more money than i intended to.

i live in dallas and there are several super walmarts around, theyre always jam packed with people. even at two in the morning, its extremely crowded and sometimes not worth the hassle for me. it took me twenty minutes to get thru the store and line after going in for one pound of tomatoes for 69 cents.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
One thing I DON'T like about Super Wal-mart is how far you have to walk if you need just for instance, dog food and milk. They are at OPPOSITE CORNERS of a huge store.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Walmart is just down the road from us. When it first opened it was great, no one could really beat the prices, plus they match any competitor. But lately I've noticed that allot of items have gone up. I never gave up the other places I shopped. I have a price book and some things are cheaper at super walmart than others. But Aldi's is number #1 on my list. Then we have a local grocer that offers good deals. I think you just have to know your prices. We generally shop all year long for birthday gifts, christmas, anniversaies etc. Things will become clearanced and you walk in on some great deals.
I say if you are going in that area 50 miles away, then stop to see what they have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts