Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on Monday we went up north to visit DF's parents. They were raving about this new Super Walmart they put in down the block and how cheap they were.

Seeing how his parents are naive about prices and knowing that I am a savvy shopper, Vic and I went to check it out. This is the first SWM I've seen/been to in NJ and I must say NOT IMPRESSED!!! Actually, I got so angry we had to leave. I could not believe what people were putting in their carts and willing to pay. $4.79 for a gallon of milk? $3.09/lb for chicken thighs?? I mean really!

Sorry, this is the only place where I can vent and people understand.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Seems really high. Could it be that it is a particularly expensive location? It would be interesting to know what other grocery store prices there are like.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I mean in northern/central NJ prices are typically higher but this was just highway robbery. We noted that a few ethnic foods strategically placed in the front were pretty cheap but that's about it. This was the first time DF acknowledged my couponing as being more than a hobby. After seeing my reaction and how much money I could be spending, he understands why I do what I do.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
That does seem high. I'm pretty happy with our prices here. Well since the last I went.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems really high. Could it be that it is a particularly expensive location? It would be interesting to know what other grocery store prices there are like.
As a comparison....a gallon of milk (milk of the week usually 1%, 2% or skim....not whole) runs $2.89 & thighs .99/lb at the local grocery.

Location-wise, it is in the heart of a large immigrant populated area. Don't know if that was planned or what. It is easily accessible for those who do not drive i.e. buses, taxis, etc. There is also a BJ's Wholesale Club in the same plaza.

·
Registered
904 Posts
That seems amazingly high! BUT what do the other local stores charge? Maybe Wal-mart is happy just to beat the competition and not loose markup.

My local Wal-mart usually has the best non-sale prices. Theirs is nothing like that though.

·
19,119 Posts
Very high prices - strange. What did your relatives say about the prices - or weren't you able to convince them that the prices were high?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DF relayed my reaction to them and they thanked us but I doubt that will stop them. They, like many others up there, are willing to pay for convenience.

PS - I did take note of the "chubs" of meat and exclaimed real loud "heeeyyyy chuuuuuubs". He looked at me like I had 3 heads. He says WTF is a chub? I said, I learned about them on FV. That was a first for me. Normally our meat is packed on styrofoam trays with plastic wrap.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
That does seem high....don't know your area for prices.

The mistake that consumers make that WM COUNTS on is that just because it is in WM it will be cheaper.

I don't find that to be true (cheaper at WM thing) with ours AT ALL.........and for lots of things. I can usually beat any of their groc. prices by shopping the sales. I do shop there sometimes but buy very few groceries there. Won't buy their meat and seldom buy their produce! Buy other things - sundries - vitamins - dog food - etc. You have to know your prices.

They also will often go in on the edge of town- outside a city limits for the cheaper tax base potential - is that where this one is located?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I paid 3.41 today for a gallon of skim milk , whole is almost 4.00 no matter what store it is and our farmers want another .03 to .84 a gallon and our chicken is running around 1.89 -2.00 a pound and we have a shortage on chicken due to the storms in DC there is a sign posted above the chicken saying that the plants are closed due to the storms and it could be a while before the stores get their full shipments.I 'm well stocked up on chicken so no worries here.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All milks were 4.79. At the grocery store, whole is always 3.99, never on sale. I may go again just to jot down the prices and have a good laugh. A few items were ok, but the milk & meat are really what caught my eye. We were going to get some steaks from there but decided we didn't know whose cart they may have been in for an hour and put back. Seeing as though I saw a gray ham LOL Instead, we went to the local butcher and it was cheaper.

The only thing I buy religiously is the GV brand Equal @ 2.14 for 200 packets. Better than my store brand's 1.99 for 100 packets.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I agree that meat is very high at Walmart and I never buy it there.

My local grocery store has a better selection and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
milk at my walmart is 1.77 for a gallon. huh.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I never buy meat at our local SWM- too pricey, but I find them good for dry goods and the like. Produce is TERRIBLE quality and overpriced to boot! Some people see 'Walmart' and assume good prices, but not everything is- seems to me they're no longer the bargain they used to be, in many departments.

Reactions: mamamia

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to admit, I do shop at Wally World. I know my prices and their GV brand is cheaper than the other stores. However, I only buy meat at my local grocer during a sale. Wally-World is just too high.

BTW In North Louisiana milk is $4.46 a gallon regular price at almost all the stores, and that is the store brands. Some stores are even higher. I wish I could find it for less my children drink almost a gallon a day. In comparison, gas is $2.45 a gallon.

Kim

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
That's interesting, KimberlySi. I'm in north Lousiana too and had no idea milk was that high here. Obviously, it's not something I ever buy - maybe a quart every two or three months. I've learned something! Not to mention, have become seriously glad I don't have to buy it.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Those prices do seem really high. There seems to be such a variance in prices at different Super WM's. A gallon of milk at ours is $1.98.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah $4 + for a gallon is real pricey but I have to keep telling myself it's still cheaper than formula. I go through 2 gallons of whatever's on sale myself & 1 gallon of whole for the baby per week. I need to learn to drink my coffee black I guess LOL.

·
Registered
708 Posts
2.89 for a gallon of milk seems very low..

however it could be a difference in location and i have always been told that Maine is a very expensive state to live in... I pay .3.59 for a gallon of the cheapest milk.... ugh! and we go through so much a week.. lucky you for 2.89 I would love it....

As a comparison....a gallon of milk (milk of the week usually 1%, 2% or skim....not whole) runs $2.89 & thighs .99/lb at the local grocery.

Location-wise, it is in the heart of a large immigrant populated area. Don't know if that was planned or what. It is easily accessible for those who do not drive i.e. buses, taxis, etc. There is also a BJ's Wholesale Club in the same plaza.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts