Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sweet onions (Walla Walla, Vidalia, Texas SuperSweet, and Maui) are a special variety that have a higher sugar content than regular onions. These onions are best used raw (salads, sandwiches...).

When you are cooking onions, choose regular onions because sweet onions have more moisture and they can fall apart.

If you have a recipe that calls for sweet onions and all you have are regular onions, soak slices/rings of regular onions in a mixture of ice water and sugar for a few minutes to make the flavor milder.

(Source: "Shortcut Cooking" by Linda Larsen)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sweet onions (Walla Walla, Vidalia, Texas SuperSweet, and Maui) are a special variety that have a higher sugar content than regular onions. These onions are best used raw (salads, sandwiches...).

When you are cooking onions, choose regular onions because sweet onions have more moisture and they can fall apart.

If you have a recipe that calls for sweet onions and all you have are regular onions, soak slices/rings of regular onions in a mixture of ice water and sugar for a few minutes to make the flavor milder.

(Source: "Shortcut Cooking" by Linda Larsen)
I soak mine in milk - ultra sweet that way!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Thanks for the tips!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks! I wonder if you can do this to save money. I love Vidalias, but they can be expensive. Maybe if you soak them in milk AND sugar, they get REALLY sweet! LOL ;-)
Tracy Q.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Had no clue...thank you for sharing. Will have to remember this as 'regular' onions are cheaper. Although love Vidalias.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I love onions! I use them everyday!
Also I read somewhere..that if blindfolded and noce pluged(as in held so u can smell) an onion and apple would taste the same. Odd but is what I have read never tried. But I wonder about this as apples are sweet.Wish i remebered where i read that anyway more semi useless info lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts