Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to make the duster? I have four handles but have run out of the duster itself. With my allergies I need to kep ontop of the dust but I just cant see myself paying the price for the refill kit. Any help would be appreciated.
Barbara

·
4,028 Posts
For the dry swiffer cloths, I use a wash cloth, preferably the older or "cheaper" ones that tend to be a little thinner so they squeeze into the gripper slots on the back more easily. I also flip them over and use both sides when the dust fills up the first side.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you cut along the edges to make them fluffy or just whole.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I have made the dusters. I use fabrics that get easily staticky so that the dust clings. Flannels(on the floor Swiffer gathers more that the swiffer cloths, did a test). Fleeces(old sweaters can be remade.)

I'll see if I have a picture on file. If not I'll make one up during nap time on Tuesday(dh is home tomorrow so we're doing errands etc). And post pics. If I have a clean one :D I'll take a pic too tonight.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Ok, I have one, but I need to recharge my batteries, I'll post tomorrow after charging them :)

·
4,028 Posts
I leave the edges on so they don't deteriorate in the wash. I like the idea of using flannel though! :thumb: But I'm not ready to cut up my flannel to try it yet. And the flannel would also be easier to use damp (I sometimes have difficulty wringing out the water when I want to damp "swiffer" my floors.)

Hmm, I wonder if I have an old flannel pillowcase somewhere?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Ok, excuse the "dusty" duster, I didn't have one other than this and it's not my day for cleaning rag washing yet. Kids need their laundry first.

With the duster, I like to use fleece. It's easy to work with. This one i cut 2 layers, using the original dusters as a template. Then using a cotton scrap, I cut it to the approx measurements of the holder plus 1/2 inch on all sizes for seam allowances. I pres that in, and top stitch to all layers. Works great. I wash them with the flannels, no fabric softner so it gets good and staticky. You can use old polar fleece sweaters and blankets if you don't have scraps. Flannel cloths for the the swiffer broom, I cut in a rectangle and serge the edges, bot an overcast stitch or zigzag will work too.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow those are awesome, wish I could sew that good! :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is what I am looking for. Oh thank you so much. Trace if I can get the pattern down I will make you some.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
You're very welcome!!

I'm thinking of doing some smaller craft sales for these "green" items. They are green. You're using recycled plastic(fleece).

If you want an actual pattern, I'll see what I can do about putting it in pdf format, just pm me your email.

Tracy. The only sewing involved is 3 straight lines.

·
4,028 Posts
ROFL... where is my brain. i was thinking of the floor swifters. sorry for throwing the curve ball into the game.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I love that idea! WOW GOod JOB!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If case you didn't know, Swiffer Dusters can be washed over and over again in the wash until they eventually fall apart. If they are washed by hand, they can be used indefinitely.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Ok, here is the pattern for the duster. It includes simple directions. If anyone needs clarification, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mommy4ever
I got your pattern. Thank you so much. I did change things a bit. I have bundles of washclothes that I bought 30 for 5.00$. when folded they are the exact width of your pattern. The length is longer so I cut them off on your pattern line and found out that what I cut off on the top was about the same as the piece in the center to hold the wand on. So instead of having to cut material for this piece I used the part that I cut off and zigzaged the piece on. Works great. Thanks again for the pattern.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
thanks so much for the pattern. really appreciate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts