Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone switch from oil to gas? We might be getting a grant from the city where we live, they came and did an inspection today and they asked us before they started is there anything in our home that we think needs repair, we of course said yes, the heating system which we went on to tell them is oil, yadda yadda yadda

She was talking to me about the program, and since the inspector said for sure we need a new heating system asked us if we wanted to stay with oil or switch to gas, it would be our choice, I am just trying to figure things out if we will up our oil tank 2 times a year and it costs is approx. $300 each time x 2 = $600 / 12 = $50 a month.

Usually when it's time to fill the tank we are scrimping and saving just to pay the $300, so would it be the right thing to switch to gas, not worrying about paying a big chunck of $300 but instead pay $50 or less per month since summer months we only need to heat the hot water?

I am in Northeastern PA so anyone in the area who switched, your help is appreciated or anyone with some insight is greatly wanted.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Tracy - You know I have oil and I think it is great that you could get a grant to pay for that! That is awesome! Is there natural gas on your street? Will the grant cover the cost of hooking you up all the way to the street? I think that is where the gas lines are no quiet sure though.

I know people in the area that have gas and get bills in the 300-400 range for a month when it is really cold.

I had gas once not for heat but for cooking and my dryer. I love cooking on a gas stove! I really do miss it sometimes! It is also more economical to cook and dry your clothes with gas. So maybe if you do switch to gas heat you could eventually switch to gas cooking and dryer when you need to replace those appliances.

Would you be able to go on a budget plan payment if you switch to gas? That would help you setting up a monthly budget. I agree $50 a month would be a lot more manageable than $300 in one paymment. Maybe you could call up the gas company and ask them what they think it will cost you a year to heat your house if you switch to gas? If you tell them how many gallons of oil you use a year they could probably figure out how much gas you would use. They might be able to give you an idea based on the size of your house and the neighborhood etc.

Let me know how it goes!

I need a new furance too, I wonder if I would qualify for that as well. If you can send me the info I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now everything is electric, our stove, washer and dryer and I like it that way, our electric bill is roughly from $45-$55 a month so not that bad, in the summer with the AC it goes to about $75-$80, I would only have gas if we decide to switch just for the heating, but I will call the gas company and see what they say, even if in the winter we had to pay $75 a month, it's better than figuring how we are going to come up with $300 if not more for the oil.

·
Registered
674 Posts
We have oil heat and whenever I think we are going to get ahead, that oil man comes with his delivery and it is $300+. Starting in the fall I think we will go on a budget with the oil company.

I am afraid of gas heat so I would not convert from oil to gas. I know a lot of people who have gas heat and they are happy with it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I know we are not in the US but recently they put gas into our town and offered grants for those that changed, I know alot of people that did change and while they were initially happy over the winter months they have been recieving their bills and they are so much more expensive than using oil.

Possibly they have been using more, when you have oil, its very easy to check the tank and work out how much you have left and how long that will cover till you get the next fill. With gas you dont see how much you are using and just switch it on if you need to? I dont know just my opinion but after talking to friends there is no way I would switch if they ever got round to sending gas up to us

just a thought as well if you are paying for a fill upfront. Do you have a budget system with the oil, we pay a set amount each month to the oil company and when we need a fill they come and fill the tank - every may they add up how much you have paid/used and you either get a credit or have to pay the balance - we generally break even and have no balance to pay

·
Registered
419 Posts
I live Ma. and have had both. Although it has been close to 16 years since we had oil heat. I do remember struggling to come up the cost of a fill. A neighbor has oil heat. When we were speaking about heating costs, she told me what her total oil bill was for last year, it was close to mine.
I have what is called balance billing, I pay the same amount everymonth, and then in April I will either get a credit or owe them money. Last year we got a small credit, this year I have the feeling we have to pay. My friend with oil also has balance billing with her oil company. I like having gas heat, although I can see how it can be overused. there isnt a way to gauge it like oil. I would definitly call the local gas company to find out an estimate of what your gas bill would be.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Gas burns cleaner but is more expensive than oil.

Here is the fuel chain I read this in the newpaper now I wish I saved the article. I am not sure about propane.
oil being the least expensive
gas
electric

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks ladies, I think we might as well just keep the oil, atleast we can just put that $50 away every month as a "save for oil fillup fund" would be the same as paying a gas bill every month I guess, either way I would hate to have a high gas bill so I will just stick with what we have. :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Thanks for this interesting post. I remember having oil as a kid, my parents made the switch in the mid 70's. I haven't lived in an oil heated home since then. I know there are homes in the area that still use oil, or my neighbor would be out of a job, but in our area most people have gas.
I find it intersting that oil is the cheapest. Here's a thought. My brother said his buddy from work went to get a wood burning stove and the salesman asked him if he had ever thought of using coal? My brother's friend ended up getting the coal burning stove because it's cheaper and burns better. I know one thing, I would love to have an alternative to gas.
It costs us around $1200 - $1400 a year for a gas furnace. I sure could handle $50 a month a lot better than $117 a month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts