Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

i am seven months along now.I have done a lot of debating thinking soul searching and have talked to several professionals about this decision that Ive come to- I am going to switch from the group of OB/GYN's I am with now and go under the care of the Stoneybrook Midwives for the rest of my pregnancy and delivery.This has not been a snap decision or easy choice;I was in the ER yesterday for seizures and abdominal pain.They were all set to admit me when the doctor from my group called and told the emergency room staff to cancel all the tests and not to admit me.Furthermore he said he would see me at the practice-When I got there he wasn't there.I waited a half hour.After being in the ER for five hours without eating or drinking anything(NOT good anytime even more so for a pregnant woman,)I decided to go home.I am exhausted physically and mentally,am getting over the flu.I know it isnt the best time to make such a desicion but I have two months to go and really feel this is what I need.I feel that the doctors in this group dont really take my opinions and needs into consideration.I have to go I just received some news- Ill keep everyone posted.

Patty

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I did the same (well, no seizures), but I switched from an OB to a CNM with about 8 weeks to go. I've never regretted it. And I went back to her for my 2nd baby.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, but it sounds like you're making a good decision. Make sure you get the follow-up you need on your tests, etc. :hugz:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear your not feeling well. It certainly doesn't sound like your doctors are taking very good care of you. Midwives are excellent, and even though you're late in your pregnancy you should do what you feel is best for you and your little one. :hugz: I hope everything goes well, and you have a smooth delievery and a happy/healthy baby.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
It sounds like a well thought out and wise decision. I hope you are feeling better soon. :hugz:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I also had a midwife for the delivery of my son. It was the greatest decision I have made.

My first and last meeting with an OB/GYN involved a 2 hour wait in the waiting room, followed by a 20 minute wait in the appointment room and a 3 minute appointment. He then sent me to the lab to wait some more, to get some bloodwork done.

My midwife took care of me every step of the way, and any bloodwork, etc., that needed to be done she did herself. I had a series of bad migraines, and she had me admitted immediately into the OB wing of the hospital, where she stayed with me all night monitoring me and the baby. When I was in the early stages of labour, she came to my house to help me, and stayed with me every step of the way.

I'm not discounting OB/GYNs, because they are important for cases of complicated pregnancies and multiple births. Midwives are true experts in pregnancy and delivery, and they deal with only that. They don't make you wait for appointments, trying to squeeze as many in per day as possible, and they will give you time and resources and information that a doctor doesnt have time to do. They also deal in your complete care, and your interaction with them doesn't end when the baby is delivered.

Congrats I think you are making a super choice for the health of you and your baby!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone-

just an update.I was in the hospital these past two days-the seizures kind of worked me up so much that I felt I was going into premature labor.I had contractions;turns out they were braxton hicks.While I was in the hospital I continued having the seizures saw my neurologist and had an eeg.As far as we can see it looks like the seizures are caused by migraines.I have the headache aura of lights and I get hot then cold and then convulse.Afterwards I am in a twightlight-fuge state.I can't respond when people talk to me.And afterwards I have a terrible headache-migraine.So the seizure is a severe symptom of migraine or vice versa.Wierd huh?

I also had a heart to heart with my OB/GYN while I was there and let her know EVERYTHING>made a difference to be completely forthcoming with her.I know now that since I am having such complications with my pregnancy, that I am high risk, this is why they caution a VBAC, though I do not wish to deal with the Dr in the group that was not there when I needed help.I will even put it in writing and have it put in my file.Nevertheless, I have decided not to switch, for not only am I seven months along now, I am in the high risk catagory.I trust my OB/GYN to have helped memake the right decision for dr Schneider is wonderful.

So sorry to vent so much lately! Seems like the sky has been falling the past few weeks!But I think I have a handle on things now, and everything is going to be alright.thanks again for being so supportive!

Patty:smball:

T

·
0 Posts
:hug2:

I know that this must have been a really hard decision for you to make. I liked my OB/GYN, but I actually liked a few of the other doctors in her group better. Since I spent two and half days in the hospital before my son was born, I got to see just about every doctor in the group, and it was taking so long I never knew who would actually handle the delivery. It ended up being the doctor I felt the most comfortable with - he wasn't the most comforting, but I did feel that he was the most knowledgable about making decisions, and keep me the most informed about what was happening and how I wanted to handle things.

I hope that you don't end up with the doctor that you had such a horrible experience with. I'll be thinking of you!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I hope you feel better and good luck with the switch!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts