Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you got a favorite dog breed? Do you have special experience with certain dog breeds? Here's the place to tell your dog breed stories. Share your tale of what it's like to live with a specific breed of dog - or even a mutt. Your story will help prospective owners decide what dog breed is right for them.

AA-YXD-0614-0003-2.jpg

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
This is the pests forum and not the pets forum. :fyi:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
( Embarrassment), so sorry for my mistake .:stupid:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had an English Mastiff named Beyah that was my world-the best dog I have ever owned. I lost her 6/5/10 to end stage renal failure. I also have a black lab and a husky. I love them dearly, the lab digs alot and I swear to you the husky is the one that instigates the two dogs getting into mischief! They are very sweet and I am treating my husky's ears from the fly bites, he doesn't like it but they look so much better now! They are both terribly spoiled!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually spoiled my dogs, i have two dogs, sometimes i hate they messed up my stuff, but for a while, i saw they are close to me, i touched them , like my kids. Actually, i have no kids.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
All my dogs terrorized my house when they were puppies, and one of them chewed up every electronic item he could get his jaws around. Happily, they grew out of it. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"They chewed up every electronic item ", they look like so strong,how old are they?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Funny story, well maybe not to my parents. When I was younger & still living at home we had a lab puppy. We had several pets at the time. My mother was the last one to leave for work and shut their bedroom door bcuz they had a king sized waterbed and she didn't want the puppy near it. Only problem was the door had swelled in the weather and didn't shut tight. I was at work and got a frantic call from my niece. She had stopped at my parents to use the bathroom and as she walked into the house water was pouring thru the ceiling! She ran up stairs and here was Molly jumping on the waterbed while water was gushing everywhere. I quickly got home and my Dad who she also called was already there. The dog had apparently tried to bury her nylabone in the bed. My mother had gated off the dining room as we had a new dining room set she didn't want the puppy teething on. Instead the dog's water came thru the ceiling all over the set! My poor honest father told the insurance company what happened so of course they wouldn't cover it. Ceilings, wiring, wallpaper, etc. had to be redone. That dog turned out to be one of the best dogs we've ever had. We lost her at 12 yrs old to Mast Cell Carcinoma.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
jeccyka, my oldest are 12 years old now (Chow Chow and lab mix). I have a two-year-old lab, and recently adopted two little mutts, only about 9 months old right now.

judembc - yikes!! No water beds here, but my lab mix decided to build me an outdoor water feature once by digging out the in-ground sprinkler system, chewing through the PVC pipe, then tugging on the pipe until it protruded from the ground at about a 30-degree angle. Since the whole thing was on a timer and was charged, it proceeded to gush water for several hours, until I got home from work and found it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jeccyka, my oldest are 12 years old now (Chow Chow and lab mix). I have a two-year-old lab, and recently adopted two little mutts, only about 9 months old right now.

judembc - yikes!! No water beds here, but my lab mix decided to build me an outdoor water feature once by digging out the in-ground sprinkler system, chewing through the PVC pipe, then tugging on the pipe until it protruded from the ground at about a 30-degree angle. Since the whole thing was on a timer and was charged, it proceeded to gush water for several hours, until I got home from work and found it.
Hi, your dog is great .It must be very close to your family.:)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I've always loved my dogs, but you 2 (madhen and judembc (your family); how did you restrain yourself from "killing them" for so much destruction????
I adopted a golden several years ago when she was 2 and fell in love with the breed. A year ago I was looking for one from a shelter and found the golden retriever rescue to be ridiculous with several things so I kept looking and wound up finding what looked to be a black golden retriever and have found out since I adopted him that he is a flat coated retriever. He is alot of fun; but has sooooo much energy. Madhen I have heard alot of stories about labs and their getting into trouble and love their personality, but was afraid to get one.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
craftypam, my lab mix went through a destructive phase until he was about two, and now he is the best dog in the world (except for his prison breaks when I let them out to run - you would think 10 acres would be enough, but he heads right for the fence line and starts to dig). My younger lab is crazy - I wouldn't recommend him to anyone, as he tries MY patience on a daily basis, but I am told that chocolate labs (which is what he is) are a little crazier than their black and yellow brothers.

In re: killing them <g>, I like the old adage that says if you find your dog chewing something he shouldn't, you should get a newspaper, roll it up tightly, then hit yourself across the nose for leaving the object within his reach. :) Granted, Riley was more creative than most when it came to his chewing....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jack is my black lab and he is the neediest dog of all time but he is very sweet and I just want to make sure they are happy and healthy during the time I have them here. Loki is my husky, he is like a big teddy bear to me but growls at strangers and the vet. His ears look so much better now. Treating his ears was quite an adventure!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts