Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once a week I am going to try new foods.

This week is
Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah)

Description:
It is a grain. Looks like bird seed actually. I picked up some online to give it a try. I had researched it and it is to have lots of vitamins and protein.

How to I made it:
You have to rinse it about three times till water runs clear. I used a small sievey strainy thing. Then I put it in a bowl. I used 1/2 cups to 1 cup water. I then microwaved it for 7 minutes and stirred. I went a few more minutes to absorb the water. It will look done when the seeds all have curly things coming out.
I let it then cool.
When it was finished I added diced tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Took a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Sea salt and tossed. Refrigerated.

Taste:
It wasn't bad at all, it was kinda like tabouli grains. It made a really refreshing salad. It was so much better the next day, cause it had soaked up all the flavorings.
I loved it. Husband was indifferent (I am sure if it was covered in ketchup he would have ate it all ) The kids thought it looked icky... SEE WHAT I AM UP AGAINST>>>>>LOL

I would have this again. I think probably would be good with chicken broth and serve like a rice dish.

If anyone gives it a try, let me know what you think?

Wonder what is for next week?????

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
What a great idea!

I haven't had quinoa is a long, long time ~ I'm sure no one but me would eat it. I'm the only adventurous eater here, LOL!

·
27,948 Posts
I've never had it but it sounds good & I know it's good for you. Kudos to you for taking the plunge & trying new things. I did that often with my family and there isn't much they won't eat now.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
You definitely need to have a mesh strainer vs. a regular colander to rinse it. Otherwise the grains will go right through the holes...they are that small :)

I didn't have one when I tried it last time, so I never did end up making it once most of it poured down the drain. :rolleyes:

I can only find it at Trader Joe's around here, and last time I was there they didn't have any. Next time I make it up that way, I will buy another box. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quinoa is rated as an extremely good for you kind of food. I use it alot cold and hot. I've mixed it in casseroles, soups and had it as side dishes like we would rice, cooking it with chicken broth and herbs. It is really good in cold "pasta" type of salads taking the place of the pasta.

http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=66706

I bookmarked that page quiet some time back and have tried a few of those recipes and we have enjoyed them. The Hot quinoa salad with the bacon and onion is delicious, I left out the green chilies though.

I have some quinoa and all the other ingredients to your dish on hand and tomatoes and cucumbers in the garden, I think for lunch tomorrow I'm going to give your recipe a try, that is just screaming "try me" at me, seems like it would be a great cold mediterranean type of salad.

Keep creating in the kitchen!

Reactions: missyali

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I didn't have a drainy thing so I punched holes in a square old tupperware and used a coffee filter.. you just have to do half at a time and dont let the sides of the filter slip.. But I am looking for a drainy thingy..lol

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I love quinoa. My son does, too. DH is indifferent at well and so is dd. I use it as I would rice. I checked into using it as a first food for my son and have found it to be a great rice cereal substitute for babies; just make with water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts