Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being responsible blows sometimes.
Got my tax return this weekend.We anticipated 5,000 but due to my husbands whooping 3% raise it pushed us to the next tax bracket:thud:. We ended up with 3,000. I know not bad but we were going to put 3,000 away for moving expenses this summer and spend the other 2,000 on a camper. So no camper:sigh:

We are doing well with saving and could afford to fudge the numbers around and still buy the camper but what did we do instead? We decided to buy Dental coverage for the entire family.
We haven't had dental for a year due to a raise in premiums. His employers plan went from 15.00 a month to 60.00:yikes:
and the benefits weren't as good so we dropped it.

We found our own plan for 30 and it has no cap, no copay on cleanings and x-rays , no waiting period. Fillings are only 25 and crowns only 226. My crown last year almost 2,000!

Was this the mature thing to do , heck yeah. Was it as fun as buying a camper, heck NO. Oh well , next year maybe.

Anybody have anything spectacular planned for your tax return?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Well being a single mother who claims both her kids...and I have a low income...I get alot back in taxes. It just so happens we moved this year at tax time. So I bought all new furniture, and a new car....Not necessarily needed...but wanted and haven't had the opportunity or money to do anything like this ever! So I took advantage of it! We now have everything we could need and want, and all the bills are paid! It feels good! Now back to saving and scrimping so that I can maintain my way of life!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Not sure what we will do with our whopping $200.
But $200 is better than owing.
We are going to San Diego next week so maybe we will use it as spending money then.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
If you're getting $5K back - why are you loaning the goverment $100/week at 0% interest?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We got like $4000 back. It got dropped into the EF. A little will come out for a few needed items, but the money sits in the EF until those items are bought (get more interest on it that way, some won't be purchased for like 6 months).

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
Half of my fed return will go to pay state taxes, and most of the rest went for - drumroll - new tires. About as unexciting a purchase as I can imagine.

I did allow myself a little fun though. I bought a quilt I had promised myself I could have after the first of the year, and a lightweight coverlet for the bed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
what tax return? We owe money... again. Not a lot but for two teachers who claim zero deductions I have no idea how we can owe anything.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
what tax return? We owe money... again. Not a lot but for two teachers who claim zero deductions I have no idea how we can owe anything.
You can have extra withheld - just have your HR department re-do your W-2

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
well i was responsible and worked my hiney off to pay off a car - pay off a bunch of debt and let my oldest 2 claim themselves ( oldest one had to but next oldest we could have claimed but we let her claim herself ) we ended up owing the gvt 5,000.

bleh

we had to change dhs to 0 claimed to make sure that doesnt happen again ( we usually get $ back ) and have an added 240 a month in medical coverage costs and will in total have checks about 500 less a month between the medical and for claiming 0.

tomorrow i have to be an adult and rework a budget based on what his new checks will be . boooo

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I think we are being responsible with out. We are getting $2200 back. $1000 to pay for dd's gymnastics fees, $1000 to pay down our van loan, and the rest to make a bulk meat purchase of 1/2 pig and 25 lbs ground beef from a local farmer. I wish we could go on vacation, but too many pressing needs for that.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
The federal ($1800) was put towards the car pay off (it's mine, it's mine, it's mine!) and the state ($240) is being used towards stockpiling

I'd rather get the chest freezer, but first things first... have to save up for it (now, how pathetic is THAT? Excited over a freezer! :lol:)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am also going to be responsible with a little bit of fun -

$1,000 to oil fund
$2,000 towards loan on car I just bought
$441 to replenish $$ I spent on new glasses I bought in December
$250 overnight stay and ski this past weekend

I have about $200 left which is going towards a new car seat for my son and the rest will be on groceries this week.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't know how much we're getting back yet, but we'll be putting most of it in the EF and also starting a fund to reno our upstairs bathroom.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.