Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was trying to explain to a friend how to shop loss leaders. I am not doing a good job of it. Any ideas? TIA

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Good question! :)

I guess I would start out with telling them to save their sales fliers from all the junk mail they normally (most likely) throw away...

Then I'd have them look through the ad and see if they could spot a 'loss leader'. If they can't, I would try to point out... "do you *normally see brand name soda's on sale for .99 a 12 pack?" hopefully they would say no, since at least around here they aren't...
So i'd keep doing that, and have them see if they can find the prices that just are surprisingly low to them...

Then I'd ask if they would normally buy that item, and if so then to put it on their shopping list :)
Also what I do is i write down *all the loss leaders from each store then when I'm done I look at which ones are worth my time going to.

I guess that doens't really help much though :bang:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I would just explain that loss leaders are the items that stores use to get you in the door. They are items that are priced lower than wholesale price to get you to shop there with the hope that if you are already in the store to purchase the loss leader that you will also purchase the rest of your groceries there. Heather gave a great example of the .99c 12 pack of name brand sodas, the store probably pays more to the manufacture for them than that but they can sell them at that price for a short time if you will come in and purchase the rest of your groceries at regular price. HTH. :D

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Wow, Heather, that was such an awesome explanation! You certainly know your loss leaders. BTW... I haven
t heard much about your shopping raves, I need you to help get me pumped back up...Come on Girl GO.....

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Shopping loss leaders is the way to go, only if you can resist the pricier stuff the store hopes to sell you !!!!!!!! You can often get loss leaders for free or nearly free with coupons...... so try to combine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts