Frugal Village Forums banner

Teenage Drivers

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mikandmari 
#1 ·
My 16 year-old daughter got her driver's permit last week. :nerv2: We've been driving around locally, she is handling it better than me :blind:.

She just left with her Dad to drive to my Mom's house. They aren't taking the interstate, but going thru the 'valley'. It's about 12 miles. I am feeling sick worrying about them. :nerv2:

#4 ·
Been there, done that! :) I didn't let me DD get her permit until she turned 16 and then her license at 17. When she turned 15 and everyone else was getting their permits I looked objectively at my DD and realized there was NO WAY this CHILD was mature enough to get behing the wheel of a car!!

When the time came, the key for me was to impress upon her that you can kill and be killed with a car. Driving a car is something we take for granted. We just get in and go and don't realize how easy it would be look away for just a moment . . . .

Today she's 19 and ticket/accident free and I consider her a safe and considerate driver.

Just remember, "this too shall pass"! (And then you'll be on to the next drama of raising teens! :)

#6 ·
I bet my grandparents are glad I had no interest in getting my permit until I was 18 and my license 'til I was 20! LOL. :D My younger sister got into an accident within a month of getting her license when she was 16 - she was at a red light and it turned green, but she was messing with her stereo and saw the light change, but didn't notice that the guy in front of her hadn't started moving and she rear-ended him. Errr! :shake: I just always get into my car with the mindset that everyone on the road does not know how to drive.

#9 ·
My DD didn't get her license until she was 18. Unfortunately, she also got into 2 accidents within a year. (One her fault, the next one the other person's). I know exactly what you're going through. Our DD has actually become a good driver, but it just took time and experience for that to happen. FWIW, we still have her call us when she gets to her destination, especially if it's a good distance away. Your DD will be fine and as time passes, you both will become more confident in her driving skills. :)

--Michelle

#11 ·
driving teens

My oldest had held her permit for 2 years---now she doesn't want to drive at all---some people are not meant to drive--I love to drive so I never knew they exsisted, but they do, she was awful....hubbie and I are wondering what to do, we are pretty rural so she will need transportation......it doesn't bother her at all..........????????????

#12 ·
My oldest had held her permit for 2 years---now she doesn't want to drive at all---some people are not meant to drive--I love to drive so I never knew they exsisted, but they do, she was awful....hubbie and I are wondering what to do, we are pretty rural so she will need transportation......it doesn't bother her at all..........????????????
I had no interest at all, either until I was 20. In fact, I was terrified of driving. Over the past 4 years, I have become an excellent driver (imo :D) but it has taken a lot of time (to overcome my fear) and experience (to not become anxious before going somewhere I was no familiar with, etc.) Could this be her problem? I would just give her time. Has she tried driving at all? Good luck!

#14 ·
Well, they survived.

Thank you everyone for your stories and support. She is actually doing much better than I did at her age, like many of you, I also was in no hurry to drive and didn't get my license until I was 19.

Sunshine... a teenage pilot??? :surprise: I did survive watching my son drive a race car beginning at age 12. At least he was on the ground!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.