Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay she is not quite a teenager but is going into 7th grade.

She has hit a growth spurt. figure changing shape ( not quite teen not quite girl) ans out grows her clothes at the drop of a hat including bras too. it seems evey time you turn around she has outgrown some form of clothing. we ar shopping at thrift and clearance. most time just happy to have found something that fits.

Moved on to the diffrent development stages too. make up and shaving. so we bought some simple make up and an electric shaver.

uggh teens are so expensive.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I know and feel for you. My DD is going into 6th grade and is going through the same growth spurt. Thankfully we're not dealing with make-up yet. She's been shaving since last year.

But it isn't like you can buy ahead because you never know which direction the body changes will go.

The best you can do is (1) fit it in the budget and (2) limit the buying sprees. My DD is simply learning to do with fewer clothes than when they were cheaper and ... smaller.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What killed me were the shoes! In addition to the sandals, casual shoes, tennies, and boots, DD is a dancer, so every time she changed shoe sizes I had to buy 4 different types of dance shoes, too. She's closing in on 14 1/2 now, and I think she's leveled off in terms of shoe size and body-type changes. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I don't think Paige grew anymore after 14......Amber quit growing about 15..... I had 4 kids all together at least 30 pairs of pairs of jeans a year, 8 pairs of tennies if not more, at least 10 pair of shoes...ugh

2 boys and 2 girls...my girls were easy..my boys destroyed every pair of jeans and tennies, ripped undies....riding them dang skateboards ugh

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I repeatedly tell my husband that I will happily raise our daughter until she's 13, and then she's all his for the next 5 years. I will happily make the decisions on toys, bedtimes, dealing with tantrums, etc. But once that teenage drama starts, I wash my hands of it. He can handle the next 5 years. :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh how expensive teenagers are in general! Just dropped 5100.00 on braces for one! She endlessly says she "needs" new clothes she has nothing that fits or nothing good to wear. Always begging to stop at Dunkin for coolata's. Our boys were frugal and barely asked for anything.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I have 3 girls and a boy. DS started working at a really good wage at 16, and full time for 6 mo. He paid his way after that, clothes, etc. I did his toiletries, but he wanted brand name clothes, he bought them.

Now the girls are a challenge, we can't find a job for dd16, no one is hiring it seems other than the theatre and they want her to work til 11. She gets a few babysitting jobs, and money from extended family for Christmas and birthdays. It keeps her with spending money.

We are known to accept hand me downs, so we get from a few different people. That typically outfits the older 2 in jeans. I hang on from the older 2 for the youngest. Tops some times the hand me downs work, some times not. More are good for dd14, as she is slender and most of the hand me downs are from tall slender girls. DD16, is shorter and curvy.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
553 Posts
The best way I found to deal with teenaged girls clothing was to give them a set clothing allowance. I bought undies, school required items and would chip in on occasion for something special, but they had to use their clothing budget for the rest. They were informed how much they got and what they were responsible for and if they blew it the first week they were going to have a long dry spell. The girls decided they wanted the money on a monthly basis. BTW we had 2 teen dd plus 4 teen foster dd so teen angst ruled here for several years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts