Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD will be going to school here this fall. In the past she has just spent summers and breaks with me, and we didn't have any kind of formal chore set ups. She only picked up, vacuumed, etc. when I told her to. I gave her $30 a month in allowance during the summer months.

I'd like to do some kind of chore schedule when she gets here. How much is reasonable for that age? She will be taking some AP classes, so I don't want to overload her. How much allowance is reasonable for 9th grader? Should I give her a set amount and have her be responsible for getting her clothes, school supplies, etc, or just money for spending and going out?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Been a long time since I've had a teenager in the house. Yes, she should help you and do chores. Basic is to take care of her own room and/or any pets that belong to her.

Beyond that, I think would be up to you and her. Sit down with her and make up a reasonable chore list taking into account that she will be taking a stressful courseload at school.

I'd probably insist that she pick up behind herself anything that is hers and then, do dishes/ vacuum/ clean the bathroom a couple times a week at least.

·
Registered
501 Posts
We didn't do allowances. I gave them a daily checklist which included chores that included taking care of their space/things and also chores like unloading the dishwasher, sweeping and vacuuming. If they did everything without having to be reminded, they were paid 20.00 per week.

·
8,714 Posts
~I don't know how much is reasonable for a 9th grader these days but I will address the question of a clothing allowance. My parents did that for me starting when I was 13 or 14. It was a wonderful experience. Any money I didn't spend of clothes I was able to save and spend on whatever I wanted which was additional motivation. It's a great teaching opportunity for sales, clearance, swaps and thrift. Choosing classics over trends and spotting quality items. Those lessons are often learned by buying failures so poor choices have their educational value too. It also makes a young person conscious of the care of their clothes. I did all my own laundry when I got to buy it. I hung it up, folded it neatly and mended it as needed. It meant more to me.
Inflation adjusted, I got the equivalent of $12 a week which was more than generous to get what I needed, practice economy, and make enough mistakes to learn important lifelong lessons.~

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will be difficult to DD. I think you should have some guide for her about list of daily chore and remind if she forget to do. She need train before leavinghome

1 - 5 of 5 Posts