Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone in my house has a terrible smell coming from them. This morning when I got up I felt sick from the smell in the house. I spent the entire morning cleaning and looking for the source. When I picked this person up this afternoon it was clear the smell was coming from them.

It smells like rotting spinach. It is really strong, I can smell it everywhere even after they have only been home for 1/2 an hour. Does anyone recognize this as being a symptom of anything? I'm worried that it is an infection or that they are really sick with something. I've asked if they feel sick or have anything infected, but obviously a difficult topic and I don't want to push it too hard. I'm not sure if the smell is coming from the inside or the outside, you can only sniff at someone so much before they feel hurt.

Nurses, have you smelled this before on anyone? Like a package of spinach that's gone bad.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
they might just need a bath and deorderant

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Did they maybe eat a lot of garlic recently?

Or ramps?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've noticed older people who do not drink enough get a similar odor. I have to stay on an older person in my life about drinking esp when I start smelling the smell. If I don't, we usually end up at the dr.

Reactions: LuLuBleen

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oh I had a friend who really smelt bad once. I mean it was really gross. It turned out she had an highly infected ingrown toenail. It was soooo bad she had to have the toe nail removed. I hate to say it but it was an infection. That was one nasty smell.

·
4,028 Posts
I worked with a woman who had a 'rotting' air about her, sadly it was an internal infection that was noticeable. I've also worked with diabetics who didn't realize they had an open sore or gangrenous wound. You need to find a delicate way of approaching this as it could be something very serious as easily as something fixable.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Someone in my house has a terrible smell coming from them. This morning when I got up I felt sick from the smell in the house. I spent the entire morning cleaning and looking for the source. When I picked this person up this afternoon it was clear the smell was coming from them.

It smells like rotting spinach. It is really strong, I can smell it everywhere even after they have only been home for 1/2 an hour. Like a package of spinach that's gone bad.
sometimes teenagers need a reminder to bathe daily and use deodorant. inspect ears, inspect teeth brushing, flossing, inspect for clean clothes.

rotten, stinky shoes might needs to be replaced. nothing can make a stinky shoe smell good again.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Sounds like you have a good idea of who it is. Regardless if its SO or children, you are the other half or MOM so pull rank and get in there to investigate. I'd rather have this 'issue' discovered by SO or mom vs a stranger and end up horrendously embarrassed. You need to stop the smell for your sake and others but as well b/c they may have a health issue you're not aware of and do not want to get worse.

Could one of your children be starting puberty early?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Another good idea is to have the offender change out their toothbrush, and brush their tongue several times a day.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Any sinus infections lately? Or gum disease? Gum disease can have a putrid smell. There is no mint or mouthwash in the world going to mask that smell.

I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Maybe call a local doctor/nurse and explain that you don't want to unnecessarily embarrass this person, so do they have any ideas or does this person need to be seen.. I've done that (different situation) and they told me on the phone what and what to do...

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Female hormones will sometimes do this. As supervisor, I had to 'discuss this' with a co-worker one time..........she said it was her hormones and she and her Dr. were working on it.

Could it be a puberty thing?........like another poster said.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My first thought would be that this person could be a diabetic. They tend to develop a fruity odor at times.
I agree with the previous postings- you need to discreetly discuss the matter with this person. It is better you inquire in a caring manner than the person be humiliated by someone rude telling they that they have an odor.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You are right to suspect that this person may have an illness. Odd odors do not only come from infections, but like others have stated from diabetes, hormonal conditions, mental health issues, neurological problems such as a seizure condition, ADD, Tourette Syndrome and scores of others.

A medical check up would be in order to identify any problems, but know that if there is a medical condition that is not an infection other measures will need to be employed. My youngest son has Tourette Syndrome and it has it's own odd odor. It's not BO, however it can get rather strong smelling. His problem gets worse during high stress situations or when he is in a bad Tourettes cycle. We have adopted a proactive solution for his dilemma. We first found that his clothing/bedding must be washed in a really good detergent. We add How X-O Odor Neutralizer Works to Remove Odors to his wash load. We buy it in the gallon bottles. I use it in all cleaning of his room, from floors to ceiling. He also showers both morning and night using his favorite deodorant soaps, body washes & highly fragrant shampoos. We found that spray can deodorants work best, and that even spraying his shoes with XO is necessary. All dirty clothing is expected to be promptly put in the hamper where there is a special odor absorber. His room has Honeywell Plug & Clean air cleaner 16180 Replacement filter 4 pack - $6.00 in the outlets, which are amazing.

It's not easy for him, it's his cross to bear, but he has learned how to handle his condition and it rarely is noticeable anymore. As he's grown he's learned to change his clothes and pop in the shower before heading out if it's the middle of the day, and follow all the other necessary hygiene routines to keep him fresh and clean smelling.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this soon. :hugz:

Reactions: Libby

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions. It was definitely not a hygiene issue, scrubbing did not remove it. The smell went away by itself after 24 hours, which leads me to believe that it was some sort of reaction to something that was eaten. It was coming out of the skin, sniff test suggested that the scent was strongest in the abdominal region.

I don't know if a food intolerance could produce a strange smell? Or if it was some kind of bizarre chemical reaction to something in the food?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.