Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,373 Posts
That is awful! We just stopped using one of the recalled brands listed a couple of months ago, because I found that 9 lives moist cat food was only 25 cents a can 5 cents a can less than the generic brand I had been buying. The generic ended up being recalled and pulled off the grocery store shelf last week. I feel grateful that because I always search for a bargain I avoided the potentially contaminated cat foods. I don't think I am going to buy any of the moist foods that have a gravy or slices of meat anymore, just to be on the safe side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is bad enough that pets have eaten and died or are getting sick. We just discovered that my moms dog has eaten some of it and it explains why she as so sick for awhile and we couldn't figure out why except it had to do with her kidneys. But what if I child had eaten some of it? I mean I know most people with children that have pets their child sampled some of the pet food. I know I caught DD eating some cat food once, I asked her why and she said that the cats like it so she wanted to know what it tasted like. This is to scary it almost sounds purposeful to me, other wise how did rat poison end up in dog food?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We feed our cats meow mix my DH insisted on it. He said we had a cat that lived 19years and all she ate was meow mix. So that is what our cats will eat. We have only given them wet food once or twice but I don't think I will be giving them any of the recalled food ever again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
That is terrible, your right Tracy about a kid eating it. Kids just love to play puppy and kitty and I can remember eating some of it when I was little, I wouldn't be surprises if there are a couple kids out there with related kidney problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,412 Posts
Wow that's just terrible, I know a friends who's dog ate a brand on the recall list and got really sick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,790 Posts
It is so horrible. It makes you just want to provide all your families foods, grow a garden and grains and get a few animals for meat and milk and even plant some trees for syrups and sweetners. Our food supply for both humans and pets is just so scary lately.

Our furbaby only eats IAMs Smart Puppy dry food and no wet food thankfully. I would be devastated if something I fed him hurt or killed him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,281 Posts
My two old lady cats will pretty much only eat the Whiskas pouches of meat/gravy. Whiskas wasn't involved in this recall, but it's still scary. My one cat did throw up a couple days three weeks ago (before any mention of the recall), and she recovered on her own. Poor little animals. Wonder how the rat poison got in the food?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,373 Posts
That rat poison idea really bothers me, I wonder if it was a rat poison like substance that was chemically created by whatever toxins were found in the food. Maybe it wasn't actual rat poison, but was similar to rat poison after the toxins reacted together. I don't know, I am just speculating. I can't imagine anyone intentionally hurting animals, though I am sure those people are out there and capable of getting access to the pet food supply. I cringe just thinking about how many people and animal food recalls we have dealt with this last year (bottled water, spinach, taco bell, cat food,). I am sure I a missing something too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
I heard that the rat poison may have come from China. The companies bought/used wheat flour from China and they think the poison was used in their fields. Sad....
I have never given wet food to a pet...I made homemade soft food when our dog was sick,- out of ground turkey and other things....Our vet says that wet food is the primary source of tooth decay in animals.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top