Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's time to take my car in to be serviced. Oil change, etc. I end up with new tires. (sigh). It seems everytime I get my EF built up something happens to take it down. First it was a new hot water heater then a few months later my frig went out, now it's tires. I figure next time it'll be brakes. lol

I guess trhis is what my EF is for. I'm thankful to have it.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I know what you mean. It's not fun having to use the EF and having to rebuild it, but it's wonderful it's there when you need it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
But you were able to take care of it right away, that is what the EF is for...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks for this topic. I really needed to hear your struggles of using your emergency fund to face my choices. I have saved almost $2000. My goal is $4000. Great to have a cushion, but I really need to spend it on a new roof. I guess it is good to pay for what I need using my emergency fund instead of just putting it on credit. I/we just need to keep rebuilding the EF!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I do... use it if I must but keep adding to it. And yes, it is awesome having the $ when things come up and I need some extra.

I can't seem to get it fully funded but I've always had enough in it to take care of what I need.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know, I hate using it, but am grateful that it's there! I just have to keep plugging along and pray that another need doesn't arise until I get it back up!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think exactly the same way. Grateful for a second that I have the cash to pay for a big item we need, but also disappointed that we have to take money out of our big savings account! Kind of like I forget that is what it's there for!

·
Registered
573 Posts
So it's time to take my car in to be serviced. Oil change, etc. I end up with new tires. (sigh). It seems everytime I get my EF built up something happens to take it down. First it was a new hot water heater then a few months later my frig went out, now it's tires. I figure next time it'll be brakes. lol
How many times does the thing that needs fixed have something to do with the car? Did the car really need new tires? Some repair shops will recommend new tires before they really are due.

Are there any other forms of transportation available to you? Figure the less the car is driven the longer it will go between maintenance intervals.

I've learned to live a nearly car free life and my budget has been thanking me. You don't realize how much a drain on finances a car really is until you get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
How many times does the thing that needs fixed have something to do with the car? Did the car really need new tires? Some repair shops will recommend new tires before they really are due.

Are there any other forms of transportation available to you? Figure the less the car is driven the longer it will go between maintenance intervals.

I've learned to live a nearly car free life and my budget has been thanking me. You don't realize how much a drain on finances a car really is until you get rid of it.
Do you live in a city? Use public transportation? Ask people for rides? I can't imagine not having a car, but if I could take buses & the subway in the city, that would be cool.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
To the OP: I kwym. I hate having to use it too, but I am grateful when I have it to use. There's always something needing the EF though.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I live on the edge of town so no public transportation goes where I need to be. I do ride my bike alot but riding to work is not an option. Taking a bike on the main road is taking your life in your hands.

Oh yeah I needed new tires for sure. I drive almost 3 hours each way twice a month to go see my DD. She is mentally challenged and resides in a group home so these trips are not an option. I drive an older car (1997) and I keep it well maintained. Getting a newer vehicle is not possible at this time.

·
19,119 Posts
After much internal back and forth, I am now convinced that I need to address the EF situation. The only way that will work for me is automatic deductions. Will be setting up the account tomorrow for all the reasons that you have been talking about. Sure makes sense. Mahalo and aloha!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That's what I do... use it if I must but keep adding to it. And yes, it is awesome having the $ when things come up and I need some extra.

I can't seem to get it fully funded but I've always had enough in it to take care of what I need.

I think you're doing great! Be proud of yourself. :sun:It's not easy putting money aside these days. You had it there for what you needed. Like the others said, that's what it's there for.

Good job!

Theresa :grnwave:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
That is the truth of it--the EF comes and goes but it sure is nice to save and replace then it is to add another debt with all it's baggage isn't it.

I am rebuilding mine now....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts