Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's mine
17 lb butterball turkey with coupon and sale 14.bucks
cranberry salad ( need fresh fruit and cranberry sauce 2 cans, 4 boxes of jello)
sweet potato casserole (need marshmallows)
cornbread dressing ( need onion, celery, and to check my seasonings)
corn on cob 3 bucks
slaw ( need 2 bags)
rolls ( need 2 packs of french rolls or Hawaiiian)
Pumpkin pie (need pie shells and cool whip or whip cream)
Pecan pies ( 2 Mrs. Smith or Edwards) sale this week 2 /10

I cut my menu back a lot no tater salad, no mac and cheese, no broccoli bread, only 2 desserts.... I am glad I did it was way to much work:clap:

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
There's only the four of us, so it won't be a big deal here. I'll figure out something from the freezer when it gets closer. I might make a turkey, which is already in the freezer. Sides would be easy to come up with. But it depends on the weather and if we're having dinner at our house or my mom's. I cook either way, usually. If we're going there, then it'll be something simple and easy to transport like a turkey hotdish or lasagna.

We don't do the whole traditional huge meal anymore. It ends up being too much leftovers for just us. Two of the four of us are diabetics so sweet dishes aren't a good idea.

I really need to learn to use our smoker!

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I'm going to look for a whole turkey breast this year. Will probably make a little mashed potato, mostly so I can have potato pancakes later in the weekend. Roasted root vegs (carrot, sweet potato, turnip, etc) a green veg (will see what is on sale), cranberry fruit salad. I'll make some clover rolls, too and a pie or torte of some kind.

Reactions: oheoh's momma

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We always go to see DH's (elderly) aunt for Thanksgiving. I buy all the ingredients, haul it down there, and cook it when we get down there. It makes for an interesting trip. She wants to have turkey and roast this year.

turkey breast-need to buy
roast (with potatoes and carrots) - have
stovetop stuffing - have
spiced mashed potatoes (homemade) - have
gravy (packets) - have
salad stuff - buy a kit there
sweet potatoes - need to buy
rolls - need to buy
veggie - need to ask if steamed green beans are ok, if so it will be a "have"
pies - usually pumpkin and apple - buy there
coolwhip - need to buy

She is the only one that likes cranberry sauce and I have her buy that for herself. She usually insists on paying for the pies also. We argue about it a little at the store and then I give in so that she feels like she is contributing.

Side note: The "arguement" isn't a real arguement, more of like a fun one. We do it every year. I know she is on a limited income, especially since DH's uncle passed. And, since I have three teen boys, I know who is going to eat most of everything, so I feel like I should pay for most of everything. Sometimes, if I am feeling really "impish", I hide the cash for the pies in a pretty dish (where she will find it later - after we have gone home). When she finds it, she knows it was me and I get a phone call.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Just the 4 of us here. I am planning on the following:

turkey ~ need to buy, hoping to see some deals
mashed potatoes
gravy ~ have gravy mix I will use
yams
cranberry sauce ~ already have
cornbread stuffing

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmm, we go to my parents & there's usually about 30 of us:
Mom makes some appetizers, turkey, butternut squash, creamed onions, apple pie, rolls
Mother in Law makes ham, cabbage salad & marinated mushrooms
Me: 10 lbs. bacon mashed potatoes in crockpot, crab appetizers, mushroom appetizers, wine
1 Sister: broccoli/carrot casserole, blueberry pie
1 Sister and Nephew: green bean casserole, sweet potatoe casserole, desserts
Other nieces & nephews bring stuff too.
Mothers, sisters, me & the 2 little kids make crafts after dinner/dessert while the guys socialize and watch football or nap :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Just the 4 of us this year.....
trying to decide on doing a whole turkey or just a turkey breast
stuffing
mashed potatoes
gravy
green beans
homemade cranberry sauce
homemade rolls (dh might do biscuits)
relish tray
pumpkin chiffon pie
brownies

·
Registered
268 Posts
There will be 81/3 at the table this year.. DD is expecting and we are thrilled. I keep my menu in a drawer along with a standard holiday shopping list. Just grab. review and shop. Easter is a different menu and shopping list. Less stress that way.

piney

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We always go to see DH's (elderly) aunt for Thanksgiving. I buy all the ingredients, haul it down there, and cook it when we get down there. It makes for an interesting trip. She wants to have turkey and roast this year.

turkey breast-need to buy
roast (with potatoes and carrots) - have
stovetop stuffing - have
spiced mashed potatoes (homemade) - have
gravy (packets) - have
salad stuff - buy a kit there
sweet potatoes - need to buy
rolls - need to buy
veggie - need to ask if steamed green beans are ok, if so it will be a "have"
pies - usually pumpkin and apple - buy there
coolwhip - need to buy

She is the only one that likes cranberry sauce and I have her buy that for herself. She usually insists on paying for the pies also. We argue about it a little at the store and then I give in so that she feels like she is contributing.

Side note: The "arguement" isn't a real arguement, more of like a fun one. We do it every year. I know she is on a limited income, especially since DH's uncle passed. And, since I have three teen boys, I know who is going to eat most of everything, so I feel like I should pay for most of everything. Sometimes, if I am feeling really "impish", I hide the cash for the pies in a pretty dish (where she will find it later - after we have gone home). When she finds it, she knows it was me and I get a phone call.
I love it used to do my mommy the same way... I would put it in her purse lol

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There will be 81/3 at the table this year.. DD is expecting and we are thrilled. I keep my menu in a drawer along with a standard holiday shopping list. Just grab. review and shop. Easter is a different menu and shopping list. Less stress that way.

piney

That is what I do ..but this year I am cooking less 6 people at the most..

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Still need to do this. thanks for the reminder

·
Registered
92 Posts
Only 2 of us and one pup (who will only get a tiny piece of turkey breast mixed in with her puppy kibble). So we're simplifying this year:

11lb turkey or turkey breast (both in freezer)
mashed potatoes and gravy (got it)
green bean casserole (got all ingredients)
dressing (got ingredients)
cranberry sauce (in a can, got 3)
pineapple-banana hummingbird mini loaves (just need to get pecans for this)...I think we're all set!:yippee:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I too am cutting way back this year. I normally make 2 turkeys and all the fixings with pumpkin cheese cakes and 2 pumpkin pies, Plus, plus, plus. Not this year.

1 Turkey - done!
Gravy - done!
Mash taters - need
Stuffing - need
Cranberry sauce - done!
Bacon green beans - need
Rolls - done! Grandma 1
1 pumpkin pie w/whipped cream - Grandma 2
1 Low carb pumpkin bake (trying this)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm having our big dinner on the 17th so the girls don't have to spend their holiday time on the road trying to fit visits in with everyone.

turkey - have
dressing - have
sweet potatoes - just need the potatoes, have the other ing.
cheese green beans - have everything
picnic potatoes - need frozen hash browns
corn - have
deviled eggs - have but will probably need more eggs
gravy - doing HM this year so have everything
rolls - gonna try HM, have everything
fruit salad - need fresh fruit
cranberry - have

pumpking pie
pumpkin crunch
cherry cheese pie
lemon merigue pie
apple pie

need pie crusts, apples and lemons, have everything else.

·
8,714 Posts
~This will be our first Thanksgiving on our own. We decided on the bare essentials, our must haves, for the actual day and I can add other, new sides(such as mashed taters, corn & greens, carrot salad, slaw) as the turkey lasts through the days/weeks. I'm making a huge turkey(18#) and freezing the meat and gravy. I got a Butterball for $1lb a few weeks ago. I'll be happy to buy a couple more turkeys if I see them at that price again. As it was, I bought just one bird during the sale since we were moving that very week and I wanted to avoid additional hassle. Anyway...
adding:
lots of gravy of course(have all)
homemade baked stuffing(have all)
mashed turnips(need)
sauteed mushrooms and roasted asparagus(need)
fresh cranberry relish(need cranberries, hoping for less than the $2.50 bag they are now)
warm apple cider(need)
pumpkin custard with whipped cream(have all)
blueberry pie(have all)
pecan fudge(have all)

It's weird to think of the menu being so limited. I never took my family Thanksgivings with all their pot-luck surprises for granted but I am missing it keenly this year. Having a small feast for just us isn't too much different than a regular roast meat + sides meal. Just have to remember what the holiday is about. The food is usually the focus at large gatherings(probably because as an avid cook and baker I tend to make it so) but this year I have a great opportunity to shift my focus to the real meaning behind the day and how I can best celebrate that.~

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I also keep a list along with the recipes. It's just the two of us and I usually mix and match recipes every couple years or so but it seems we may have finally settled on our favorites. Even with just the two of us I still go overboard. I like doing it and it's the one time of year we both can eat leftovers for a week and not complain. :)

Turkey - have
Turkey Brine - need apple juice and oranges, have everything else
Homemade Gravy - will have everything
Cornbread Dressing for me - will need celery and onion
Traditional Stuffing for him - will need celery and onion
Homemade Mac and Cheese for me - will have everything
Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole for him - will need sweets and apples
Relish Tray - will need celery, have everything else
Devilled Eggs - will need eggs
Homemade Cranberry Compote - have some cranberries in the freezer from last year, need to see if they survived or not - will also need an orange
Rolls - I haven't decided if I'll do homemade or store bought yet
Desserts - still pondering - will probably make a Pumpkin Pie and an Apple Pie - but I may opt to purchase store bought
Token Green Veggie just to make us feel like we're eating at least one healthy thing - TBD :p

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This year instead of me cooking, I decided I am going to order the Prime Rib dinner from Luby's. All you do is heat it up. It's not cheap & feeds 10-12 people...I expect 8 ...It comes with gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, mushrooms, rolls, and strawberry cheesecake. I will add a ham, olives, sweet potatoes, corn and pumpkin pie, which I have already. The only reason I am doing it this way is, I am not in the best of health but i enjoy having the kids and grandkids here. Hopefully my daughter won't have to work. Son and wife goes to her parents ALWAYS.....I have come to accept that, but it stills irks me since it's EVERY holiday....

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Menu
Turkey breast
Greenbean casserole
homemade cranberry sauce
homemade bread
mashed cauliflower - mock mashed potatoes
Stuffing (if my mom wants to bring it)
pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream topping

What I have to buy
turkey breast
gravy
french style green beans
onions
2 cups fresh mushrooms
butter
heavy cream
sharp white cheddar
french fried onion rings
fresh cranberries
ginger ale
orange
pumpkin pie
cauliflower

·
Registered
398 Posts
Fresh Turkey
Homemade French Stuffing (family recipe)
Cranberry sauce from Trader Joe's
boiled onion
home made gravy
mashed potato
carrots
butternut squash
turnip
corn
Homemade rolls
Dessert is to be determined!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I still haven't decided but I'm leaning towards the more traditional, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, etc. But a lot depends on weather. If there is one flake of snow falling out of the sky, my mom will not drive over here, and since she's 83, I'm not about to argue with her.

So more likely I'll put together a turkey hotdish with stuffing on the top, a relish tray, a fruit salad, some kind of dessert, and a veggie side dish. Then we'll just take it all over there and bake the hotdish when we get there. Easy.

I've been known to make a twenty-pound turkey for four people. Leftover turkey is just so darn handy!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts