Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a tradition of doing a "Thanksgiving Tree", starting on the first of November we write one thing we are greatful for everyday until Thanksgiving morning. (made leaves out of construction paper)
I found a new one I want to do this year. You use a white sheet as a table cloth, and put markers out to write on it. Then you have everyone write their name, trace their hand and write something on it that they are thankful for or draw a picture. Then you save these from year to year and can either use the same one or add a new one each year. I think this sounds like fun.
Some people do this almost the same but they make paper chains with what they are thankful for on them.

Make a small booklet and write a few of the Things I Love About My Family and keep it out on the table during your Thanksgiving celebration. Have everyone
write their thoughts in the book . (easy to make from a dollar store note book, and a few stickers, let the kids help they really have a lot of fun ) Other things you can do the book on to try: Things I'm Thankful For or My Wishes
for my Family, My favorite Thanksgiving food, Recipes for Thanksgiving. There are tons that can be used.

Please share your traditions, or the fun things you do for the holiday!

·
Registered
763 Posts
The thanksgiving tree is a great idea, I like the table cloth one too, I think we will be doing both, considering the table cloth one could be used as markers fo each persons seat at the table as well and then handed down to family members as a gift for their tables!!
One of our traditions is to make sure everyone eats way to much food and is miserable for hours after dinner!!!!ROFLMAO

Reactions: Patty A

·
Registered
656 Posts
Because our kid, grandkids, and great grandkids are busy during the season and it's hard to get everyone together at the same time, we have our annual "Thanksmas" the weekend before Thanksgiving. We eat too much, exchange gifts, watch "the Grinch" both the movie and the original half hour one, and have a wonderful time!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We have a tradition in our house occasionally on Thanksgiving that one of us gets to chose the menu, whatever they want. One year it was chili dogs (that's what they wanted :cblush: ) another was bar-b-que ribs...

This doesn't happen every year but it sure is a change and it's fun.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
We have a really strange day on ThanksgivingDay. We (my sisters and our children) gather at our parents home at 8am. We have breakfast of donuts and juice and put up the Christmas tree (artifical one) and watch the Macy's Day Parade. We do it all from getting the tree storage box out of the attic to rearranging furniture in the livingroom to putting the ornaments on the tree. Mom moves the placement of the tree around every year. In years past when we had small children in walkers we decorated them too. We chat and tell the stories of the different ornaments as they come out of the boxes. This one was from great grandma, this chain was made when Middle sister Missy and I were in Brownies ( a hundred years ago). We marval at the macaroni ornments made by little sister Shelly now 45 still survive. Then after the tree is done and the parade is over we all pile in the car and go out for lunch. At this time husbands show up. We talk and laugh and enjoy each others company. Then we part with a reminder about the up coming girls day out for the Jr. League Tour of Homes.
We all go home and start our Christmas Cards while husbands watch football.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
When I was growing up, it was tradition for EVERYONE (family, friends, neighbors, strangers) to come and pile into my parents home and eat thanksgiving dinner. For the past few years, though, for dh and I this seems to happen:

We either make a gumbo or fry a turkey, have cornbread dressing, and regular stuff- always pecan pie... Then, after we get stuffed, we always end up on the three wheeler or four wheeler riding around all afternoon...

We also generally put the Christmas tree up Thanksgiving night.

I would like to move our traditions more toward the evenings than morning like everyone usually has dinner around here.

I would also like to start either the leaves or the chain of things that we are thankful for.. but that won't happen until we have children of our own.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Last year we decided to put the tree up, I think we will do it again this year and make it a tradition.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, my family was never really frugal around Thanksgiving or Christmas time. I remember going over to my grandparents house at 6am to start cooking. We would cook the turkey, ham, homemade baked macaroni and cheese, potato salad, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie, 5 cup fruit salad, deviled eggs, homemade egg nog, and candies. Then while everything was boiling/cooking/heating up we would set this huge table with linen table cloth, linen napkins, actual silver silverware and crystal cut classes and all sit down for ever -- talking, eating, laughing and just having a great time.

·
4,028 Posts
Best thanksgiving.... had 3 bottles of wine and made pizelles with my Mom, while the turkey was cooking. :D She is very funny when she is toasty... lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts