Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We replaced the belt in our attic fan today and that was only like 9 bucks. It 'broke' down at the end of spring and I was scared it was something major but thank goodness it was only the belt.

Love this time of year! Have the windows open and I can hear the crickets now. :D I think it's only going to be in the 70's this week if the weather man is right. :p

*Looks forward to saving at least a hundred bucks slashed off the monthly electric bill from now on.*

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That's great that it wasn't too expensive to fix. I too love having the windows open and never use an air conditioner. :) Enjoy those crickets!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wish we could have the windows open here but its still over 100 or 110 most days. At least another month of ridiculous utility bills... possibly 2 :(

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great that it wasn't too expensive to fix. I too love having the windows open and never use an air conditioner. :) Enjoy those crickets!
Yep, and there is something so therapeutic to me hearing crickets and froggies, turkeys, and coyotes. (there is a field in our back yard)

I wish we could have the windows open here but its still over 100 or 110 most days. At least another month of ridiculous utility bills... possibly 2 :(
Hang in there. *hug*

That is great news palooka. Cheap repair and save big bucks from now on......can't beat that!
Darn straight. :D

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Hasn't cooled off enough here yet either, though this morning it was nice outside when I let the cat out.

In this sieve of a house we live in, with our craptastic "central" a/c we have to supplement with window units, so our cooling bills hit $500/month now with the rate hikes.

I can't wait for September so we can open the windows. I'm jealous!

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I can't wait until we turn ours off. I did turn it off for an hour or so this morning, but it will be back on soon.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Palooka,

I grew up with an attic fan. Hubby and I lived in an old rental house for 9 years that had an attic fan. It was wonderful to close off certain windows, open the windows in the room you were in and turn the attic fan on!

I can't wait for it to cool down a little and be able to open the windows! I too love to hear the crickets.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hasn't cooled off enough here yet either, though this morning it was nice outside when I let the cat out.

In this sieve of a house we live in, with our craptastic "central" a/c we have to supplement with window units, so our cooling bills hit $500/month now with the rate hikes.

Wowza that is quite a bill there Greebo! I live in Florida and a/c a1700sq ft house and my bills is no where near that!

Even so, I can't wait to shut it off and open my windows too!!
Maybe another month, that would be nice, more like two though.

·
Registered
980 Posts
We turned our AC off yesterday. I hope it is off for the season. For me using no AC or heat is like living free.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Greebo, I feel your pain. Ours averages $400.00 a month in the summer and drops down to around $100.00 the rest of the year. It's been really cool here the past couple of days and I'm hoping I don't have to turn it on anymore this year.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Greebo, I feel your pain. Ours averages $400.00 a month in the summer and drops down to around $100.00 the rest of the year. It's been really cool here the past couple of days and I'm hoping I don't have to turn it on anymore this year.
*faints* I think our highest one was 250.00 and I had a cow over that. I will have another big bill and then it should go down.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Summer's not over for 3 more weeks, I won't be surprised if we have to turn the AC on again next week. The last 4-5 days have been unseasonably chilly, but 80-90 temps in Sept is pretty normal.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I've actually managed to make it all summer without setting up the window A/C, so I guess the air has been officially off for me since the end of LAST summer, when I took the window unit out! :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Summer's not over for 3 more weeks, I won't be surprised if we have to turn the AC on again next week. The last 4-5 days have been unseasonably chilly, but 80-90 temps in Sept is pretty normal.
I know, you live close to me. :) It's almost too cold tonight for this time of year! I'm just hoping it doesn't hit 90 again. I can do 80 with the attic fan on. *crosses fingers*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts