Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Best Crockpot Pork Butt

Recipe Description
Sooo tender it will fall apart. It's not the healthiest, but definitely rib-sticking.​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Very Easy​
Time Needed:
10 minute prep; 6-8 hours cooking​
Ingredients:
1 pork butt (also called Boston Butt roast or pork shoulder roast )
1-2 onions, peeled and sliced
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Adobo-style seasoning
Water or other liquid​
Serves:
Directions:
Remove roast from package. Do not trim excess fat. Generously season all sides of roast with season all sides of roast, rubbing into meat with hands. Place roast fat side up in crockpot (I usually get the large roasts so I use a 6 qt. crockpot). Pour about 2 cups or so of water around roast. Cover with sliced onions. Cook on high for 1 hour, reduce to low and cook till tender (I usually put mine on around 9 am and let it cook till 5). Juices make excellent gravy.

NOTE: The recipe calls for water but you can use juice, bouillon, coffee or even soda (it doesn't even make a different what kind or whether it's flat or not).
If the roast is partially frozen, that's ok... it will just microwave defrost it or cook it on high for an additional 1 hour (2 total) and then reduce to low and cook the remainder of time.​

·
Registered
210 Posts
we love pork butt here, and the best, many times I can get it for .99 cents a pound at hannafords. I get the biggest one they have and invite the kids over. They like mashed potatoes served with it. I wonder if I cooked it in 1 cup of ketchup and a can of diet soda if the sauce would be like cola chicken? I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I love pork butt rubbed with Adobo seasoning, I put in a can of green chilies and add onions to it. Yummm! I made one yesterday with liquid smoke, garlic and onions, I'm making bbq with this one.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yum, sounds great! I usually cook mine in beer, then pull it and mix it with BBQ sauce for pulled pork sandwiches! I'm going to have to try this! Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts