Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Boycott the 2008 Beijing Olympics!

why so many schools and hospitals have wholly or partly collapsed, yet government offices fared much better.Corrupt building practises may emerge as a contributory factor in this latest tragedy.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
刘卓邕;899558 said:
why so many schools and hospitals have wholly or partly collapsed, yet government offices fared much better.Corrupt building practises may emerge as a contributory factor in this latest tragedy.
Right... the gov't controlled the quake...But it is sad that the country was not built for this kind of thing..

Bringing the olympics into this thread is just sad....

Whole other can of worms.

Why don't you make your way to the introductions thread so we can get to know ya. Google is a powerful tool.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Right... the gov't controlled the quake...But it is sad that the country was not built for this kind of thing..

Bringing the olympics into this thread is just sad....

Whole other can of worms.

Why don't you make your way to the introductions thread so we can get to know ya. Google is a powerful tool.
I don't think he was saying the government controlled the quake. I think they were saying the government makes sure their buildings are built sound (make sure they have the best contractors and best materials) but civil buildings serviced by the government (schools, hospitals) were victims of shoddy and out of date construction.

Honestly this happens here, too, though. How many times have we heard of government officials blowing thousands of dollars furnishing their own offices, paying outrageous prices for nothing -- yet cutting corners things like infrastructure (remember that bridge that collapsed last year because they basically skipped rivets to "save money"?) and services for the civilians or even the lowest level of government employees (think the Walter Reed debacle.)

Seems no matter what country we're in there are examples of this, citizens ending up in peril in part because those in power mismanage, cut corners, and remain ill prepared for disasters.

I actually made a comment to DH the other night when we were watching a special on all the construction going on in China the last few years to accommodate the upcoming Olympics & resulting tourism. It seemed to me like it's been rush rush rush to get it all done and make it all flashy -- I wondered how long it's all actually going to be able to last and if it was being built soundly. And that was before this tragedy. Now it makes me worry more.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
There's another thread here somewhere about the quake....
Somehow having my daughter being born in China just makes this all the more personal and real. It's not just place halfway around the world, but a real place, with real ppl and real lives. (I don't mean to trivialize the devastation in Myamar (sp) due to the cyclone) I've been to China, seen the country, seen the buildings, seen how ppl live, I cannot describe it, but the buildings that the general population lives in are in NO WAY earthquake proof. It is just so sad, and when I think of all the children affected, it just breaks my heart. The day that the story broke I found myself just holding on to my daughter and not being able to let go.

I'm attaching a few photos of what we saw in China

SAD, JUST SAD.....and I am afraid that the numbers have only begun to go up

G

·
Boycott the 2008 Beijing Olympics!

Right... the gov't controlled the quake...But it is sad that the country was not built for this kind of thing...
The town’s Juyuan Middle School completely collapsed in the quake, trapping 900 pupils beneath it. Parents complained that the school, built 10 years ago, collapsed because contractors used shoddy materials. Nearby older buildings remain standing.

”I'll tell you why the school collapsed,” said an elderly man beside the ruins. ”It was shoddily built. Someone wanted to save money.” [The Standard, 15 May 2008]

Another man, whose only son was killed in the earthquake, said the collapse of the school building was a ”man made” disaster.

”Look, the pillars were filled with sand and mud, not cement. There is no concrete to support the iron bars. This is a typical tofu project,” the man told the South China Morning Post, using the common term for shoddy or defective building work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts