Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This link will take you to a Utah State University Extension article comparing the cost of commercially prepared foods, homemade, and fast food. Mind you, the prices of foods in your area will differ, but you will find good information as well as recipes you may want to try to hold costs down at home.

The Cost of Convenience
by Diana Sagers,
Diane Sagers, Lee Sherry, Kris Saunders, Georgia Lauritzen, Eileen Milligan

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/pub__8822711.pdf

·
4,028 Posts
Nice information. I think they needed a proof reader though... I don't think they really mean 1 egg to serve 6! LOL

Scrambled Eggs
1 egg
1/8 tsp. salt and pepper
2 tsp. milk
TOTAL COST: $0.41 (6 servings)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice information. I think they needed a proof reader though... I don't think they really mean 1 egg to serve 6! LOL

Scrambled Eggs
1 egg
1/8 tsp. salt and pepper
2 tsp. milk
TOTAL COST: $0.41 (6 servings)

I bet the total cost for 6 servings is $0.41 - so multiply the single-serving recipe X 6.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The article was very interesting.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Interesting article. I think anyone can learn to cook from scratch.

Over the years I have gotten better and memorized basic recipes.

When you learn to cook from scratch you can adjust recipes to suit your pantry, tastes, and diet.

I think it is fun when you can make something and you thought you had nothing!

Plus, I believe scratch cooking is cheaper and healthier overall.

Reactions: Grainlady

·
Registered
314 Posts
I grew up on a strict McDonald's and Twinkies diet, and I began making the transition to scratch cooking a few years ago. It took forever to get my wife on board. She's just not a numbers person. She knew we were "store shopping" and not "eating out," so she'd feel like buying a $5 frozen dinner was just fine in terms of healthiness and cost.

Finally, I got through with this equation:

Frugal, tasty, quick. You can always get two out of three, but almost never all three. If you are just getting one, why even consider it?

I make a wicked homemade bread for about $0.40/loaf (and I don't buy my ingredients in bulk). It's *fantastic* for breakfast in the morning.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Interesting article. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the interesting article. It helps to see confirmation that what we do is saving us money everyday. Cooking from scratch is much healthier and cheaper for my family. I thinks it tastes better, too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Once I started making meals from scratch, my boys did not want to eat out anymore. I think if people would do a little planning, meals from scratch are easy and taste soooooo much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts