Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right place to put this but if any of you are like me and like to see what things cost to make I did a break down on homemade laundry detergent.
Bar Soap (Ivory)...............50
Borax..............................43
Washing Soda.................72
Scent..............................25

Total.............$1.90

The recipe I made makes 2 gallons so it breaks down to .95/gallon
You get 64 loads per gallon and use 1/4 cup per load so each load costs you less than $0.15

Now to be fair that doesn't take into account the water or the gas used to boil the water but it's still a pretty good deal!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't use scent and I use baking soda, that's right baking soda ;) instead of washing soda so I'm getting off even cheaper. Thanks for the breakdown.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Great job breaking it down. I make my own soap and love doing different scents. I make a dry mix also.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't use scent and I use baking soda, that's right baking soda ;) instead of washing soda so I'm getting off even cheaper. Thanks for the breakdown.
elphie, do you still get good results with using the baking soda? I used to make my laundry detergent, but our Kroger's closed and it was my only nearby source for washing soda. Now, if I factor in gas to go get some (at least 45 miles away, in a town I have no need to go to) or shipping from ordering online, my commercial laundry detergent comes out cheaper per load. If the baking soda is as effective, I may have to try it that way. Also, do you make a dry mix or the liquid?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently started making my own laundry soap and I make it dry. I use 1/2 c each of washing soda and Borax and a grated bar of Ivory. I pulse it all in my food processor and then pour into a CoolWhip (generic brand of course) bowl. It takes 1T per load & I keep a measuring spoon in the bowl for easy use. No boiling and no slime. I think 1 batch takes 5 min to make and is enough for at least 30-40 loads. I'm gonna count the loads and then do a cost analysis between it and the warehouse club soaps.

I can't buy washing soda in my area so I use ph+ that you'd use for a pool. Slightly more expensive than Arm & Hammer but it's the same chemical. Sometimes washing soda is called soda ash. I think it could be found in a garden or hardware store.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm curious about the baking soda also! Can't wait for a reply!!:nails:
elphie, do you still get good results with using the baking soda? I used to make my laundry detergent, but our Kroger's closed and it was my only nearby source for washing soda. Now, if I factor in gas to go get some (at least 45 miles away, in a town I have no need to go to) or shipping from ordering online, my commercial laundry detergent comes out cheaper per load. If the baking soda is as effective, I may have to try it that way. Also, do you make a dry mix or the liquid?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm curious about the baking soda also! Can't wait for a reply!!:nails:
I have never had a problem, no stains and the clothes look and smell great!

I recently started making my own laundry soap and I make it dry. I use 1/2 c each of washing soda and Borax and a grated bar of Ivory. I pulse it all in my food processor and then pour into a CoolWhip (generic brand of course) bowl. It takes 1T per load & I keep a measuring spoon in the bowl for easy use. No boiling and no slime. I think 1 batch takes 5 min to make and is enough for at least 30-40 loads. I'm gonna count the loads and then do a cost analysis between it and the warehouse club soaps.

I can't buy washing soda in my area so I use ph+ that you'd use for a pool. Slightly more expensive than Arm & Hammer but it's the same chemical. Sometimes washing soda is called soda ash. I think it could be found in a garden or hardware store.
I'm going to have to try this dry, sounds so much easier!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I do mine liquid, 1/3 bar fels naptha soap (grated) 1 cup washing soda and 1 cup borax, this makes 2 gallons, the reason I do it liquid is because when I did it dry I always ended up with some sort of danged residue on the clothes.

It only takes a few minutes to do the liquid and it cleans better for me! I do think I might try the baking soda next time though, between it being cheaper and harder to come by here as well!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I just started using baking soda added to my regular liquid laundry detergent and what I've noticed are:
The whites are much whiter.
All the "musty" smells in our towels (mostly kitchen, and the occasional bath towel that wasn't hung up to dry).
My laundry detergent seems to just "work" better. I can cut my laundry detergent in 1/2 by using the same amount of baking soda.

I just wanted to add to your experience with the baking soda, for anyone else who might be wondering about it.

Elphie, would you mind giving your measurements on your laundry soap?
Right now, I'm looking for different recipes to try.
I have several years' worth of the liquid laundry detergent, but I would like to find a recipe that I love and then make sure and buy enough of the ingredients to have on hand for later.

Thanks so much!:flowers:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I save the gallon milk jugs that have the screw on lids, the gallon mayo jars, any gallon jug that is sturdy and has a screw on lid is my philosophy!
I had a laundry jug from years ago, a gallon one but it had the "pump" on it, so that is what I use for the detergent that I am actually using, I just keep it full from the other jugs and a funnel!

Reactions: kittykatstrong

·
Registered
279 Posts
I make powdered and I use:

2 C Fels Naptha (turns out to be 2/3 a bar)
1 C Borax
1 C Washing Soda
1 C All purpose Bleach

I use 1 tbls per load and it doesn't suds but boy does it clean. The first time I used it I couldn't believe the dirty water. It isn't as bad now, so I guess the regular laundry detergent must have been leaving a residue either on the clothes or in the machine. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a smell. I have been thinking about adding a cup of baking soda to the mix to get that clean smell.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I use dry and I use half baking soda and half washing soda in mine.

I have a front loader and I zap some water in the microwave and mix up the soap into it before I put it in the machine. The ground up soap wasn't disolving in the wash.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use Lemon Ajax and Baking Soda plus a little hot water and it works wonderfully. I store it in an old Tide container.

I have no idea where to find Borax or Washing Soda but if someone would tell me I'd be glad to try it. Also, what is "scent" and where would I find that?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
You can find the fels soap, borax and washing soda at Krogers.

You can find borax at every grocery, walmart anywhere. It is 20 mule team borax. It is with the laundry soap, bleach, stain cleaners.

You can also use ZOTE which is cheaper than Fels but I have an 8 year supply of fels so I haven't tried it.

I make mine liquid and I store it in a tidy cats plastic bucket. I use 1/2 cup per load and I use Snuggle fabric softener because I like the way it smells!

It takes about 20 minutes to make 2 gallons of liquid soap. Well worth the little time spent.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Is borax necessary? I would love to try this and I think I have about everything I need except borax. :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Washing soda is also called sodium carbonate or sal soda. But you can make your own washing soda.
Setting your oven to 450 deg for about 4 hours would reduce sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to sodium carbonate (washing soda). It has something to do with the chemical composition and the breakdown rates of chemicals. Take it with a grain of salt but I would think that if you would take a small box of baking soda and sprinkle it evenly over a cookie sheet and bake in oven at 450 for around 4 hours that could possibly work. Although you would have an oven going for 4 hours which may not be that cost efficient.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts