Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently discovered "pict sweet" seasoning mix, a frozen blend of onion, celery, red and green peppers. even though they cost more, i am not wasting furry or mushy produce.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've seen that in my freezer section at my local grocery stores. Is it good? Does it have seasoning on it or just those veggies? I'm ridiculously allergic to MSG additive that is in a LOT of "sauces" and "spice" mixes but I use this fresh veggie combo all the time and I wouldn't mind having a bag of it in the freezer, ready cut and ready to use. Could save a lot of time some evenings.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
I don't have a bag now, but I think it's just the veggies. I use it, as well as the chopped onion and chopped green peppers. Fresh has become so expensive that it's not all that much more and saves me a ton of fine chopping for recipes that can use it frozen. One of our stores often has good sales on it.

Something else I use when I can get it on sale is the Kroger brand onion/pepper mix. It's coase chopped; the PictSweet is diced.

·
19,119 Posts
Good idea - hate money wasted on food - don't think the cost is going down either.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I don't think I have seen it........will have to watch for it here.

I am forever needing some peppers for something and I won't pay the price. (but have a gob of celery!)

Last year was a lousy pepper year for gardening here........so I don't have any in the freezer either.......or dehydrated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used the Pictsweet mix. It's great for jambalaya, or any type of stew, soup or rice dish where you don't need the veggies to be crispy. @frugalfranny -- I haven't had great luck with growing peppers lately, either. When I see them on sale at the market, I dice them up, put them in a ziplock bag, and freeze them. Works good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.