1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe we did it, but we did it!!! This month, we:

~ had to spend $165 on our cat's kidney tests
~ went out to eat more often than we should've
~ had to replace my SIN and my NS Health card ($10 ea)
~ hosted Kyle's mother overnight

And even after all that, we managed to do the following:

~ pay our old apartment's closing electricity bill ($87)
~ pay our new apartment's initial electricity bill ($69)
~ pay rent ($640)
~ pay our home phone bill ($108 -- should be less, but we didn't get a bill for two months and didn't realize it until I went to calculate the total and discovered we didn't know what we owed. They didn't have our apartment number on the bill, and so it wasn't getting to us.)
~ pay our cell phone bills ($50 ea)
~ pay our pet insurance ($50)
~ stay within, if not under, budget on groceries ($78)
~ spend $80 on gas

And even with all that, we still have $60 extra! Granted, that's going to get us til next Thursday when I get paid, but the fridge, pantry and freezer are solid full, our family is happy and healthy and well fed, and we're all able to continue reaching our goals as they come along.

This envelope system is top notch! I recommend it to anyone!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Congratulations!! If feels so good when a plan works out like you hope!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
ENVELOPES

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
So glad it worked for you! Keep us the great job :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
never heard of the envelope system, tell me more about it

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Wonderful! I am so happy to hear that it worked for you. I have heard that it takes a while to balance the envelopes so that you dont have to rob one to pad the other! I tried but honestly not hard enough.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The envelope system is pretty simple. Grab a half dozen envelopes and label them "groceries" "bills" "entertainment".. all of your expenses, basically. Then divide up your money into the envelopes based on what your budget calls from. If you run out of money for entertainment, then that is IT and you can not pull from the other envelopes! It really helps you to see just where you tend to blow your budget.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
WTG! We still use the envelopes for entertainment and groceries. I used to have about 10 envelopes when we first started budgeting but now things are nicely under control and we can get by with 2.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
:grwave::grwave:WTG!!!:grwave::grwave:

Gotta love the envelope system!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That's wonderful! I'm starting mine this weekend. I'm off Sunday, so I figured that would be a great time to get it done.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
We used it for years and it worked really well for us. It's a wonderful feeling knowing everything is under control.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Congrats! I love the envelope system too...well, I did when we were being diligent about using it. *sheepish smile* I need to get back to it, at least for entertainment and groceries. Being debt free is not a reason to abandon it! Must remind myself and hubby of that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Way to go!!
I've got to get back on the envelope system train!! choo choo!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Great job Nada! :)

The only version of the envelope system I use now is my wallet, if its out of cash thats it - Im stranded! My 'spending' money is in there, gas and entertainment so once its gone its gone :( Everything else in my bank account has been forwarded to pay a bill or shoved into savings :lol: I try to refuse using my credit cards too.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
WTG!!!! thats great Im so glad for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do you do the envelope system when there are so many bills that require checks? Just curious. Do you pay cash for gas instead of using a debit card? I guess I am wondering how strict you are about just using cash for everything? I have a lot of bills that are direct withdrawl.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's Great!! But I was wondering...

How do initially get started doing the envelope system? I mean, we are so behind and living paycheck to paycheck, barely getting by. Shut off notices and misc. How do you get the money to get started? I only have enough each week to pay two bills - usually the two that have to be paid right then or we lose our car, house, electricty whatever. Its pretty tight right now. But kudos for you!!!!!!!

Thanks,
stephanie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts