Frugal Village Forums banner

The flock

Tags
flock
2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Russ 
#1 ·
Thought I would post a few pictures of the flock.

Anybody need eggs? :skept:

This is today's collection.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh Russ, they are adorable . I want them......the flock and the eggs....lol What a blessing for your family. Thanks for sharing these pictures made my day!

Reactions: Russ
#3 ·
Beautiful birds :)
I love your leaves too.

Does the hen on the bottom have a name ?

#15 ·
Love 'em! So is the one in the last picture named BBQ? Nice poofy meaty chest on that one.

Reactions: Libby and Russ
#20 ·
Funny Darlene. I think more for some good ole Southern Fried Chicken.
I love your flock of chickies Russ. I surely wish that I had some chickens here.

#22 ·
It is sad when you buy eggs from a grocery store then when you crack it in the pan to fry, the white part of the eggs runs all over the pan. You just can't beat "Fresh" eggs.

Russ, how many chickens total did you get and how old are they now?

#23 ·
We have yet to actually purchase a chicken.
We were given 29 chickens total.
27 came from her bosses wife who is a teacher. Her class project was for each child to hatch out the egg and then we got the chickens. We figure these chickens to be 20-24 weeks old.

The other 2 that were given to us were full grown when we got them.

Apparently next year we are getting 20-30 meat chickens. They will be raised for however long and then taken in for processing. We paid $1.75/bird to get 11 or 12 roosters processed a month or so ago.

#24 ·
We have yet to actually purchase a chicken.
We were given 29 chickens total.
27 came from her bosses wife who is a teacher. Her class project was for each child to hatch out the egg and then we got the chickens. We figure these chickens to be 20-24 weeks old.

The other 2 that were given to us were full grown when we got them.

Apparently next year we are getting 20-30 meat chickens. They will be raised for however long and then taken in for processing. We paid $1.75/bird to get 11 or 12 roosters processed a month or so ago.
I highlighted the text that sounds so nice. Reminds me of how people go in for "procedures" which sound so much nicer/better than they are. I'd rather have a procedure than be processed, lol.

Reactions: Libby
#25 ·
Sounds like you got a wonderful DEAL Russ.

When I was in the 5th grade, we lived in the country. I was in the 4-H club. For a project, the local county agent gave me 100 Rhode Island Red biddies. In payment, they wanted me to make sure that I kept a book/journal of their food, exercise, growth, etc. and submit the information to them.

Needless to say, we had a LOT of chicken and eggs to eat.

Free chickens are wonderful! I enjoy your chicken posts.

#27 ·
You know how to have fun Russ!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.