Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You all know this one, you look into the freezer and try to figure out what is for dinner. I need some help this week using up as much of this as possible.

frozen corn
frozen peas
deli ham
specialty pear and blue cheese bratwurst
a large chunk of blue cheese
wonton wrappers
walnuts
blueberries
thin sliced raw beef
rise and bake dinner rolls
pita bread
chicken meatballs
grated cheese of various kinds
sandwich rolls
"sushi" tuna that's not really sushi grade
frozen cranberries

I also have, in the fridge:

cherry tomatoes
cucumbers
red onion
baby carrots
red apples
sour pie apples
strawberries
zuchinni
yellow squash
lemons
limes
green beans
bacon
leftover rotisserie chicken

I have a few ideas, but am mostly lost on the frozen stuff which is left over from recipes that I don't have the rest of the ingredients for. Would love to see this from a different perspective. What would you prepare with the above, and a basic pantry?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I would combine frozen corn, yellow squash, bacon, onion and some cheese into a sort of creamed corn/chowder soup and serve the rolls on the side.

Blueberries or cranberries/walnuts/zucchini in zucchini bread
tomato/cucumber/onion into that marinated sweet & sour "salad"

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. It is a little warm for soup here, but the corn/squash/bacon combo sounds like a winner, I will just saute it and serve on the side.

I found two small containers of mystery meat crumbles. One with onions, I think it is beef. The other has vegetables chopped in it and a sauce. No idea what that was. I am thawing the beef and some of the dinner rolls and making hand pies https://www.rhodesbread.com/recipes/view/runzas-(bierocks). Fruit for dessert, I think.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, the pita bread is gone, I've been having that for breakfast.

I got some lettuce and will make cold fresh spring rolls with leftover chicken and cucumber, and a simple sugar and vinegar dipping sauce. The wonton wraps will become fried crab-less rangoon. At least, I think I still have cream cheese. Add some steamed rice and maybe yellow squash. Sound good?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would use the corn, peas and ham to make a either a ham casserole with egg noodles or a ham pot pie.

I would have used the bratwurst and blue cheese with some cream cheese in the wonton wrappers. Maybe include some finely diced cucumbers or squash. I don't know why - it just sounds like a good base to me for appetizers. :)

I would use the walnuts and blueberries to make a blueberry buckle.

Alternative could be breakfast for dinner with blueberry walnut pancakes and a homemade brown sugar syrup.

Cook the raw beef slices and make mini sandwiches with the dinner rolls - brush the tops with melted butter, sprinkle with garlic and italian seasoning. Fill the rolls with the slices of cooked beef and some grated cheese (mozzarella or provolone or cheddar). Bake until warm, then spread a little mayo inside... Also delicious with ham instead of the beef. Yummmm

Tuna melts with a side of homemade cranberry jelly (better if you have an orange you can add to it) or tuna casserole (I have a yummy one with tuna, mixed veggies in a cream sauce topped with snipped biscuit quarters).

The red onion, zucchini, yellow squash and raw beef are a basis for a good stir fry with a little teriyaki sauce or hoisin sauce (easy to make from scratch too).

Ham and cheese and green bean frittata.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips Marie. I have one scoop of pancake mix left, that will be good for blueberry pancakes Sunday. The brats are very sweet, they will make a good breakfast.

Tonight it is the last of the chicken, and stewed green beans with onions and bacon. I think I will cut up one of the cucumbers to make fridge pickles.

Sliders with the dinner rolls and deli ham sounds good too.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sort of have a plan for this week. Today it is cool and wet, and I think a hearty meal will be nice, so braised short ribs for dinner, with carrots and brown rice. Sliced tomato on the side.

Pulled another cucumber, 3 large tomatoes and a double handfull of cherry tomatoes from the garden. That puts me at 3 cukes and more than a pint of cherry tomatoes. Still have 2 yellow squash and several apples.

-- tuna (canned) sandwiches and an apple and cucumber salad. https://she.steals.com/blog/wp/2013/05/a-bite-of-joy-crisp-cucumber-and-apple-recipe/ and probably a sliced tomato

-- spinach salad w/ canned mandarins, walnuts and blue cheese, and sliced tomato

-- chicken, yellow squash, tomato + cucumber salad

Going to get lettuce and make lunch salads for DH with cherry tomatoes and cucumber.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adding homemade frozen burritos and tamales into the mix this week. I made them for DH's work lunches and I guess he got tired of them because he hasn't taken one in months. Time to use them up.

Have leftover spinach from this week that will end up along side one meal.
- ham and swiss sandwiches
- spaghetti and chicken meatballs
- seared sushi tuna salad
- burritos/tamales
- BLT sandwiches

Also have half a package of phyllo dough that I can't figure out. DH does not like the spinach and feta cheese filling. I forget why I bought this. Will go cruise pinterest I guess.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably I will steam the spinach, I like it with butter and vinegar. Unless it is still fresh enough to have as a salad, there is still blue cheese left.

I like the idea of mushrooms, may use the sliced raw beef and make a "steak and mushroom" pie sort of thing. I have a lot of swiss cheese, too.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We ate out once this week, so the spaghetti and meatballs is getting bumped. Have an idea for apple streudels using the phyllo, too.

Still have:

frozen corn
frozen peas
deli ham
a chunk of blue cheese
walnuts
blueberries
thin sliced raw beef
rise and bake dinner rolls
chicken meatballs
grated cheese of various kinds
"sushi" tuna that's not really sushi grade
frozen cranberries
phyllo

I also have, in the fridge:

cherry tomatoes
cucumbers
baby carrots
red apple
sour pie apples
yellow squash
lemon
limes
spinach
bacon
onions
garlic
plain yogurt
cream cheese
a little cream < 1/2 cup

Going to keep working on it. More blueberry pancakes, tomato and cucumber salad, corn or peas with everything, more ham sandwiches.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The apple struedel came out very well. I used up some walnuts, too.

A night out got canceled, so the chicken meatballs got eaten after all and I killed a partial jar of sauce that was in the freezer. Tonight we are having leftovers and corn. I bought cauliflower and strawberries today. I think the cucumbers are done for the season, but I still have 3 left. Tomatoes are starting to come in full force.

Several night out this week, so I only have 4 meals to plan for:

fish tacos, yellow squash (that is the last of it)
beef stir fry, cauliflower and peas
chicken, spinach, carrots
bacon and tomato sandwiches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts