Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:thunder: <My day until about 10 minutes ago...

I have been worried since Friday when I realized I had $11 for the week, and not sure how I would feed df & dd.

Well... I was reading through my emails and thinking about DD and :hocus: .. freecycle popcorn maker, still in box with manual. DD Loves Popcorn and the microwavable stuff is not only getting to be expensive, but it is also unhealthy...

Figuring I had better grab it before someone else does, I dressed for the beautiful New England spring weather (it's snowing right now) and decided since I was out, I was going to take my $10 and find something at the grocery store to keep our tummies fed for the week.

I walked in to the grocery store and said my frugal prayer...

I need to keep my family fed
and now that has been said
help me find the sales today
I only have ($$) to pay.

Stop laughing... it works!!!

While I was there, I saw "THE LOOK" on the face of another shopper. Young woman with 2 small ones in tow. She was near tears because she was trying to keep HER tummies fed too. Thats when I heard the whisper 'do something, say something'. :hocus: So, I said a frugal prayer for her too... and then I made contact and told her she had beautiful kids. We got in to the normal grocery chit-chat and (those whispers again) then I asked her if she had ever heard of the Frugal Village. -nope- (tadah, out came the cards... oh ya, DD and I took a cereal box, painted the printed side and made small cards with the website on it and stickers on the back). I gave her the baby food coupons that I had and told her if she ever felt like she needed help, she didn't even have to register, she can just read what has been said to get help.

The FV fairy decided I had enough worry for the week...

Anywho... this is what I walked out with...
1/2 turkey ($5.23) *gulp*
1 pkg tomatoes (.57)
1 box mac & cheese (.40)
1 pkg cornbread mix (.34)
1 pkg pork liver (.60)
1 eggplant (.60)
1/2 gal milk (1.50)

Total - 9.24 :hocus:

I will boil the turkey to salvage any piece I can.. any "ugly" pieces will go to the food processor to make a turkey-loaf for Monday. Turkey and tomatoes with mac & cheese on Tuesday... Wednesday is leftover day... Thursday will have us feasting on this fun dish I make, cornbread with turkey and refired beans cooked in the over. DF's lunches will come from the dinners and DD and I will have turkey sand, turkey salad or turkey soup for the week... I will have feathers by Friday, but...

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can do it!! Great job being frugal!
I'll be thinking of you this week.
<gobble gobble>

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Thank you for sharing that story. Sometimes I worry and it helps to know that others have the same troubles and it works out for them too.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow that's great and you even came out with change, how sweet of you to help that lady out as well. :hugz:

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I will have feathers by Friday, but...
I love this line the most of your adventure to the grocery store. Are you going start doing the headbob automatically and gobble? :lol: Sorry I couldnt resist!

Thats great that you're not also helping someone else but spreading the word of the site and encouraging her to be frugal and assuring her that shes not alone in this battle. She will now have a place to turn to for help like the rest of us. WTG! :applause:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That was so sweet of you to share coupons and the fv website with the woman who needed help. You did an amazing job stretching your money too, it sounds like you are going to make some great meals this week and you still came in under $10. Your story and stories like yours inspire me to shop more economically :).

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Reaching out to someone eles took alot of compassion and a kind heart. Shows you haven't gotten so wrapped up in your own problems not to spot someone eles in need!
Just as a thought do you have any boxes of jello in your cabinet? Nothing brightens up a meal like a bowl of jello. Especially for kids. We often have jello in one of a hundred different ways. Its a standard snack here because my dented cans store sells it for .10 a box.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
That was so sweet of you, and I love the sticker idea!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
How kind of you to reach out to the woman at the market and to share coupons and this web-site with her. You were able to purchase a lot with the money that you had available and your meals sound good too. I agree that you can add some jello if you have any, and the family will feel like they had a real treat after dinner.

I love your prayer too. I prayed something similar a few weeks ago when my budget was slim and only had a small amount to spend on groceries that week. The prayer was answered too.

May you be blessed today.

auntie

·
Registered
579 Posts
Your story warmed my heart. A friend of mine always said that kindness extended to others comeback to you 10x. You have alot coming your way.....lol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with julieb, and that was true kindness you showed to the lady in the supermarket. I am trying now to imagine how she must have felt. Overwhelmed is probably a good word, she probably went home and cried from sheer relief afterwards.

Buddha says that what goes around comes around, do unto other what you would have done to yourself - so I"m sure good fortune is heading your way.

Did you and the lady exchange contact details?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you and the lady exchange contact details?
Unfortunately, no. I didn't have my 'momma bag' only my small keychain that holds my license.

Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words. I didn't share the story to get a pat on the back... just to let you all know how you all have helped me through some tough times, whether you knew it or not.

Because of this site, I have been helped, been able to help, and I will pass it on wherever I can.

:hug2:
And for any who were wondering about the pork liver :lol: it was to make cat food. I get the creepy crawlies even looking at it!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
What a great story and what a nice thing for you to do! I love your prayer, I'll have to remember it for future reference. :)

--Michelle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts