Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot about how our lifestyles have changed in the last few decades and computers are the final nail in the coffin.

Our bodies were meant to stand and move. Not sit.

But that is what we do. We sit in cars. Sit at desks. Sit and watch TV and Movies. Sit at the ...ahem.... computer. We do less and less everyday. And our bodies are deteriorating and becoming weak and ill.
I've read that some companys are putting walking treadmills by phones, mobile exercycles under desks etc... to fit in movement during the work day, to increase their employees health and productivity.
But we can do that and more.
If we can be up and moving a min. of 20 mins but better yet 45 mins, 3 times a day without changing anything else (ie: the amount of food we eat) we will lose 1 to 2 pounds of weight/month and keep it off!
You don't even have to break a sweat! Just move. The key is designing your movement into your day so it is just something you do!

I love to move. I know I feel better when I do. I love to walk, weight lift, swim... but the fact is my life gets in the way all the time. I get too busy and I stop... and start .... and stop etc.... sometimes with weeks between...:furious: Life keeps getting in the way!

So I propose a new plan. A new way of thinking about activity.
I propose a challenge where we do a min. of 20 mins. and hopefully as much as 45 mins. of productive or fun activity 3 times a day... every day.
It can be walking, gardening, playing frisbee, walking the dog, doing outside farm chores, hanging laundry, even kneading bread... but MOVEMENT! You don't have to break a sweat, change your clothes, go anywhere special if you don't want to! It can be a half hour on your stationary bike while watching TV, slowly pedaling, or leisurely walking on a treadmill (if you are lucky enough to own one) while reading a book!
I am going to post my list in the next thread.
And I will add to it as I think of more ideas.
I will post daily what I did or did not do!

Please post if you have other ideas...
And if you would like to join me please do...I'd love company.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
19,119 Posts
Great idea Holly Hill!! I'll be back daily, regardless of what I have or haven't done. This is really important for our health the rest of our lives!! Mahalo for the great idea!!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do one of the below 3 times a day for a min. of 20 mins EVERY day.

- Walk
- Garden
- Vacuum
- wash floors
- wash bathrooms
- do and hang laundry
- actively play with my kids (frisbee, sledding, tubing, waterslides etc)
- dance
- wash windows
- bake and knead dough
- sweep and dust
- ride my excercycle while reading a book
- join my kids in their stretching exercises
- do a yoga tape
- go get the mail ( a 15 min walk)
- window shop (more walking than standing)
- Paint
- move furniture
-big organization (ie: Garage)
- Wash and vacuum the car

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hubby and I have motorcycles and we are getting out and doing more - charitable fundraisers, rides to destinations of interest, sightseeing, picnics, etc. It IS getting us out of the house and we are walking when we get to our destinations.

We also started judo classes. Hubby started last week and I started yesterday. I sit here at my computer with LOTS of aches and pains but am very proud of myself! Judo classes are Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday for 2 hours. It is physical AND cardio.

Sensei has PROMISED I will not be thrown until I am ready to try. Throwing others is VERY satisfying! I am also learning to fall which will help in every day life since I am such a klutz.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I sit way too much. I do aerobics every day and, while I like it, I wouldn't call it a lot of fun. :) I'm going to make myself get out and walk around the block a few times a week.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Judo is great!

The problem I have had with classes... while I enjoy them, I run out of time and end up skipping them. That is why I am determined to move NOW, here! And if I get to a class that's a bonus, on top of the basics.

So so far today. I went for a 20 min. walk with the dog, we are pet sitting for Mil instead of just throwing him out the door in the morning.

·
19,119 Posts
Great idea for the list and commitment Holly!!

Have decided that I will take my students to recess every day instead of letting the aides take them without me - that's 30 minutes of walking and at least not sitting 4-5 times a week.

15 minutes everyday I am going to ride my stationary bicycle and read 'Under the Dome' - and when I finish that book, I'll get another and continue.

continue doing pushups and crunches with Debbie Cat everyday

That's my start and they are all doable. I brush my teeth three times a day without thinking, I can certainly do these!!

Mahalo again for the inspiration Holly!!

Reactions: hollyhill

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the idea Maui! You've got it.

We need to make activity a habit!

Just think in the past how much everyone did just in day to day living... it certainly wasn't sitting.
So we need to be creative and find ways to be more naturally active.
I mean, I wouldn't normally jump up and willingly wash windows, but if it is considered part of an active lifestyle, I just might do that instead of going to the Gym. I would save money and have clean windows and have saved time driving... WIN WIN all the way.

Second activity today was walking for a half hour between my daughters races instead of just standing or sitting!

·
19,119 Posts
Great going Holly!!

Thanks to your inspiration I have found myself much more active today - even though I really do have a lot of work to do on the computer. Feel happier too!!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to James Levine, MD, PhD... who wrote a book about NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) that increasing movement, increases metabolism and makes us feel MORE energenic not less.

He wrote a book called "Move A little, Lose A lot." That in addition to weight loss NEAT makes you want to move more rather than less. It increases energy rather than exhausts you.

As far as computer work, I am still trying to think of how to infuse activity into it. What Levine suggests is an under the desk mini cycle. Apparently just an apparatus with pedals. I am considering getting one... but in the meantime, I am trying to sit on an excercise ball while on the computer. It isn't much but it is some movement....
Also, get up as much as you can. Reach... for the papers you may need... etc.. Small movement adds up over the day, too.

Today I walked the dog for 30 mins this morning. My MiL picked him up.... so will have to find other reasons to walk now.

I am coming down with the dreaded cold my kids have had... not feeling too good but I am going to try and keep moving...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I tried walking, but with our Texas heat and humidity it WAS not working for me. I do get on the treadmill several times a week.

I am trying Judo because it sounded interesting and like something I MIGHT stick with. The dojo is VERY close to the house and the classes are on days and at times that work for me and hubby. Sensei is very flexible and said he would rather we came late rather than not at all.

SO we are going again at 6 p.m. I am still pretty stiff from Saturday. I am going to take it easy and see how much I can get through.

Good Luck everybody no matter what you do. The point is to do SOMETHING!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good going Mary!

And could you use your treadmill while doing something else... like watching TV? You don't have to jog. A stroll would be enough...

I did end up with a whopper of a cold...

But I am feeling better today.

So I did a 45 min walk
A 2 half hours of housework.

Tomorrow I hope to beable to get some gardening in.

And this weekend I maybe camping with scouts (if I can't get another female to do it.. LOL) and if I am I will try and be active with them the whole time... not just cuddle by the campfire..hehe.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few days behind in posting...

Saturday- I managed 2 twenty min. walks and one 30 min. walk.

Sunday- I gardened for 5 hours... ouch. My glutes are killing me... LOL.

Monday- I can barely move.. I certainly can't walk comfortably.
Did 20 mins of walking
Did 20 mins of housework
Did 20 mins of Yoga DVD (moaning every little bit of it)

Tueday- Still feel a little bit sore
45 mins of baking
20 mins of housework (lots of tidying)
20 min walk

hope I feel better tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has been a busy week.
But I have kept up my movement! Until today. It was very busy driving around sort of day, and pouring rain so not great for walking. And I wasn't home to do housework....

Driving exercises anyone???

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did 3 walks yesterday!

But none today so far... it has been crazy busy. I hope to get a long one in this evening..

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Holly,

I have been going faithfully to my judo classes 3 times a week. I will be skipping tomorrow's class because of a prior commitment. I REALLY don't want to skip it though!

I am getting stronger, able to do more, for longer periods of time, etc. I think I am going to be the poster child for getting old(er) people into the dojo!

I MIGHT even be able to get into a size smaller jeans soon - WOO HOO!

P. S. I already watch TV on the treadmill. I am gradually building up to longer periods of time, sharper inclines, and a faster pace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts