Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"
Corn, wheat, soybeans, vegetable oils: A small handful of commodities form the backbone of much of the world’s diet and they’re dramatically more expensive, flashing alarm signals for global shopping budgets."

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
don't know cus every year they say prices are going up. after all the flooding a couple years ago killing all the pigs etc pork was suppose to go up but didn't. here food prices going up and spring flooding is just reg news march/april

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yes, food goes up most of the time. But generally it is around the same rate of regular inflation.

If it is just for a few items with noticable increases - which it usually is - the total increase of your over all food spending is only increased a little bit. You also have the option to be flexible. You can have less of the foods that are more expensive and more of the foods that didn't raise in price.

Food is pretty global as well. So even if the harvest is bad in some places, it is often okay in other places.

Income is a factor as well. For people barely getting by, increasing spending for $5 a week could be a big deal. For most people it is not.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
360 Posts
Interesting! I don't think I buy many of those companies' products but I guess I will find out! I'm trying to avoid processed food so hopefully the plain old fruit and veg will not go too high.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you know if the name brand goes up $1, the other brands and/or generics will go up .75 too.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I think some of the stores are trying to hold the line on basics like carrots, potatoes, chicken, cheese. These prices seem to be consistent for the last few years. If people learn to live with basic foods and prepare it themselves in different ways it should be tolerable. If the price of potato chips and soda doubled I would not even notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts