Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning on Sunday, Father's Day. Its a bright, sunny morning here, and its going to get very hot!!!

Today is going to be a day of rest. I've been saying that for a number of Sundays now, but there isn't much I need to do here on the homestead, so it can wait until morning.

We do need to see if we can find out where the beetles are coming in upstairs and thats about it.

Have a wonderful day on your homestead.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Happy Father's Day to all dad's!!

It has been raining all morning and most of the night. I guess it is good for the flowers and trees.

Not much happening here on our homestead either. I do want to do something special for DH today. I don't know what yet. He had to go to work today.:(

Later tonight, I have to go to family visitation at the funeral home.

I hope you all have a very relaxing Sunday.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Good evening all and Happy Fathers Day to the Dads!

Dh pretty much slept all day but tha'ts what he wanted to do as he doesn't get much sleep anymore. He and ds watched a little of the races and he did try to watch Red Dragon (oh my gosh how scary!) with us but snoozed through the middle. lol

I grilled pork chops and veggies and potatoes all outside tonight. So nice not using the stove. It was a great meal and our neighbor came over to use the phone and we invited him for dinner as well. It was so good to be able to feed someone who really appreciates my cooking as he lives alone. hehehe

I sorted through some costume jewelry that was my MIL's and matched up earrings and necklaces. Trying to decide which pieces I want to keep and which I don't mind giving away or selling. Plus I did a little laundry and watered some trees. It was a very relaxing day and I think it was 102 degrees here!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
It was a glorious day here on my homestead. Nicole turned 18. I have been asking her all day if she has learned the answers to the universe that she thought she would have on the day she turned into and "adult", so far no answer!

My house is really shaping up. My bathroom is beautiful. It is so clean I would eat in there!!! Man I just go in there and take a big deep breath and feel very gratified. I bought some new inexpensive towels and they made all the difference.

My bedroom is about 85% done. There is a little more stuff that I can thin out and some dusting way up high along with the cieling fan to be done, but it can wait until dh is home to help.

My livingroom is half way finished. I started cleaning from the top down. Lots of cobwebs, the kind that dont really show until you find one, then oh man, there are many more hiding! I also cleaned my mirrored wall shelving unit and washed all my glass hummingbirds and cleaned the fireplace area and rearranged the furniture. Still not done in there yet, but it is lookin good!

Ds#1 spent the night at a friends house last night. he called me this morning and asked me to come and get him because he hurt his ankle. When I picked him up, he couldn't even walk and it was swollen huge. I took him to the emergency and they said it was a very bad sprain. He is not supposed to put any weight on it for 2 weeks and they gave him crutches. He already is tired of using them. They told him that a sprain like this would only worsen if it was not given long enough to heal. He is hard headed ( it is hereditary with the men in this family)

Well, only four more days of work and school will be out in this district, then summer school dtarts for me the 23rd! I got lots to do and only a little while to do it.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK LADIES

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
mrscornbread - I know how your son feels with the sprained ankle! I sprained mine last Monday and it's getting better, but it still swollen and still hurts. I didn't go to the dr. - you'd have to know our dr. - because I know she wouldn't have done anything anyway. *sigh* I'm sure mine would heal faster if I'd stay off of it, but that's impossible!

Yesterday we swam and played. I made a pan of macadamia nut brownies for dh. :) Dh did spread the grass food in the front yard yesterday and made a mess with it all over the sidewalk and driveway. Of course he didn't tell me that and then told me in a panic this morning that it was staining both and since he was on his way to work I needed to get the hose and spray it all off. What a lovely way to start my day - NOT!

I have laundry underway and we'll do ds's school lesson in a bit. I joined FlyLady again and while I'm not following her routine exactly (I'm convinced this woman can function on little sleep, has no children or pets that she has to feed or chase out of stuff, doesn't cook, doesn't homeschool, etc. - there aren't enough hours in the day to do what she wants me to do ROFL!). Anyway, I'm motivated so that's what counts.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Monday morning to everyone. We had quite the thunderstorm last night, but no rain. I'm sure someone to the south of us must have got dumped on BIG time by the looks of the sky.

Today will be a busy day here on the homestead. First I've got to wash clothes and hang them out to dry. I've got a load in the washer right now.

I need to mow the lawn, once the grass isn't so wet from all the dew! It usually takes me 1 1/2 hrs. to get it all finished. With the rain we've been having though, its growing so fast.

I brought in my first rose yesterday. The smell filled the house. Today, I have a couple more ready to bring in. I also need to trim the roses. They are just loaded with buds though. It must be a great year for them, because they are stunning.

I need to also do some plastering in dd's room. We think we found the area the beetles are getting in, so it has got to be plugged. We need to tape and get the gyproc plastering finished, but we were waiting until the m/bedroom and living room were done and then we'd do it all together. Guess we can't wait, so I'll do a few places in her room just to stop the bugs!! Living in the country really has made a difference to the bugs we have and how easy it is for them to get in an old brick house.

Once that is finished, I need to cut some sashing for dd's quilt. She is finished the top, so now needs to get a border and her sashing put on. Once that is done, I need to quilt it for her. She wants to get started on another one, but I won't let her until she has completed the top of this one.

So the buzz on this homestead is that I'm going to be busy today!!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the clothes are all hung on the line to dry and the grass is cut.

I also put away the rain barrels. A neighbour found a dead crow in her yard yesterday. :yikes: No report yet if its from West Nile or not, but its just too close for comfort!!! I can use town water to water my plants. They also found a dead crow in Winnipeg that DID have the West Nile virus.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
QuilterMom said:
mrscornbread - I know how your son feels with the sprained ankle! I sprained mine last Monday and it's getting better, but it still swollen and still hurts. I didn't go to the dr. - you'd have to know our dr. - because I know she wouldn't have done anything anyway. *sigh* I'm sure mine would heal faster if I'd stay off of it, but that's impossible!
Robin, hope your son's ankle heals fast, and yours too Quilter Mom~

yesterday was nice for father's day. We went for lunch and dh rreally went crazy and ate like a starving man, lol. We came home and watched movies after the lunch and a stop at Wally World to get some needs. WE still have one to see this evening before we take em all back tomorrow morning. I grilled steaks on the grill last night. And Dh liked the card the kids and I made him. :)

Today I have done some laundry, dishes, and some picking up in the house. I got partial payment for the cards i made a friend, and will receive the rest on Wednesday. I am excited. She will be giving me more than I was hoping for, so I am thrilled. Woo hoo. I have lots more cleaning to do in the house. I have a deadline i set for myself for decluttering, hope that motivates me more to get it done. If dh would just get rid of the orange couch.

Anyhow, that's about it from this Colorado Homestead

·
Registered
121 Posts
Getting lots done around here today. Clothes and bedding were washed and hung on the line. The bedding is back in and on the bed. I have finally taken my king size pillow cases and cut them off and sewed them back up to make them the right size for regular pillows. We don't use king size pillows, and I hate seeing all those nice matching pillowcases not being used. I am so happy to get this done, as I have been meaning to do it for a long time but never seemed to have the time. The garden is weeded and watered and boy is it growing! I have dinner planned, but have a few glorious hours before I have to start it. It is a beautiful day, and I might go enjoy a little time on the porch.

yolo

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi everyone and good afternoon. I am reeling from the weekend,one extra child,and everyone at home:bang: I'm glad it's Monday! Dh had a decent Fathers Day. we went and looked at some houses for DD#1 who wants to move this way.
I am working on laundry,and us girls are going to make some cookies! There will be chicken,mashed potatoes,and green beans for supper.
Next weekend I will have a FULL house,as DS is coming home to visit with 2 friends and wants DD#1 to come too,because he is moving to Virginia next month and won't see her for a while! If you don't here from me much-I have to prepare for this.(If you don't here from me next week-I didn't survive:toothy: )
I hope you all have a great sunny day on the homestead!!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Happy Monday all!:cool: The sun is shining brightly and I have the laundry hanging on the line. This mrning I skimmed the cream from the milk and made some fresh butter. Yum! All three of my boys are on restriction at the moment, so my front flower beds are getting weeded out very well! I still have some hanging baskets to pot up and a few more plants to gt in the garden. The kids brought home a bunch from the local greenhouse (the owner is giving them tons of stuff for free or way reduced prices). I've never had so many hanging baskets variety of flowers in my yard before.:D I may take the munchkins up to the pool later to cool off (they have been working really hard).

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Afternoon to all! I did a load of laundry, then got ready to attend a funeral. After the funeral, we went out to eat for lunch.

CJ, I sure hope that isn't West Nile Virus! Keep us posted.

DH, the boys, and me have already went up to the baseball fields to rake and drag them for tonight's game. It is really hot outside. BUT they are ready! Tonight midget league finishes up. YEAH!! Only 2 more leagues to go and we are completely through for the season.

Well, that is all that's a buzz here on our homestead.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good morning on a bright, sunny Tuesday morning here on my homestead.

Michelle - no report yet as to whether it is West Nile or not!!! It is scary but as always, we will continue to be extra cautious. I'm not going to have my whole summer ruined because of it.

Well I got all the quilts washed yesterday and dried, so today I'm going to wash all the sheets and pillowcases. I'll be putting the quilts away for a few months.

I also got all the flowerbeds weeded and watered yesterday and they are really looking good. The perennials are thriving this year, in part to the wonderful weather we are now having.

Don't plan much for today. Need to get last nights dishes done, wash the sheets and then just enjoy the day with the kids.

Thats the buzz on this homestead. Have a great day everyone on your homesteads.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is a beautiful Tuesday morning here too. The sun is shining bright. I got up at 6:30 a.m. and went for a 2.5 mile walk while it was still cool out. It has been getting in the 80's during the day. So far today, I have house vacuumed, floor swept, laundry washed and on the line, spice cupboard cleaned and organized, croutons made, dinner (beef stroganoff) made and in the fridge waiting to be warmed for dinner, and dishes cleaned up. Now I have to get my dd to basketball camp and ds picked up from work so he can come home to have lunch and then head back for the rest of the afternoon. After that, I plan to pick up some fruit at the store and then enjoy the afternoon.

yolo

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I'm just continuing to clean and declutter today. I have been making good progress in cleaning out old papers and such from one of my file boxes. We've finished ds's school lesson for the day and it'll be time to get lunch ready in a few. I have a few odds and ends bits of laundry to do today as well.

Dh needs to put the grass food down in the backyard tonight - not sure if I'm going to have to help him with that or not.

CJ - I hope everything comes out okay in the West Nile testing. That's some scary stuff! We heard the mosquito spray truck come by for the first time this year last night - I've always wondered if the spraying really does any good.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well I sure blew it this time! LOL
I have decided to stay of my pc on Sundays, and yesterday I was busy at the DR with ds. He has a throat infection that is trying to move into his lung!
Dh had a nice day Sunday, very relaxed had his favorite dinner, fired chicken nuggets, mashed taters and glazed carrots.
Yesterday I made whole wheat pancakes for breakfast.
Then off to the DR with ds#2.
Today I plan to relax a bit, and do some laundry.
I hate going to town it wears me out! We left yeasterday a little before noon, and didn't get home until after 4! The dr did chest xrays, she says it is not unusual for kids Chris' size to get a collapsed lung!
He is about 6'5 and weighs about 140. She said it has something to do with him being so skinny! Chris looked at her and said, "great, so your telling me I am gona die soon??" She reassured him that it was not fatal, and he would like a long time yet!
Well thats all from our home this morning!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Quiltermom, I will PM Sara for you. I am sure it must be a site problem and not something Sara did purposely.

CJ~ I was listening to our news at noon and they said they have a case of the West Nile Virus here in Central Texas as well. I guess it is bad everywhere.

It is a nice day out today. I decided I better get the lawn cut before it gets too hot. Well, that is done and I walked a mile.

I have a major headache. I have had it for 2 days and nothing seems to help. Chris had it, but he seems better. Richard said his head hurts too, so maybe another virus is going around. UGH!

I have only washed 1 load of clothing. There is more to go, but I need to make myself get up and do it. I washed the breakfast dishes and cleaned the kitchen, but that's it.

It looks like there may be some rain coming according to the weatherman. We have baseball tonight and I would prefer it not to rain so we can get the season over with.

Well, that is all that's a buzz here on the homestead. Hope you have a great day!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Happy Wednesday! Mel, I hope your Chris gets better soon! I'll be saying a prayer for him. Michelle, prayers coming for your family too about those headaches, could they be allergy related? CJ, any word on the testing of the bird yet?

This has been a wonderful day so far. I have 3 loads of laundry hanging on the line and gently blowing in the breeze. My oldest son got the back yard mowed and weedeated for me so it looks much nicer now. The boys and I did our devotions on the back porch early this morning (about 6:30 a.m.) to beat the heat. Josh had a horseback riding lesson at 7 a.m., Chris picked strawberries for me and then went to work for a neighbor at 9 a.m., Jaysn did the lawn and is now at the library. I'm having some quiet time.:) We are suppossed to get thunderstorms later today, so I'm going to play in the garden for awhile before that happens. Have a blessed day everyone!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good afternoon!
We have had a decent day here. It looked like rain earlier but now the sun is shining and it is beautiful.
I cleaned my laundry room-it looked like a bird exploded out there:toothy: The rugs are clean and drying on the line. We will have a early supper as DDs are off to youth church.
The dishes are done,except the baking dishes that are soaking while I ran to "The Village" to visit.LOL i still need to vacuum the kitchen:( I really hate carpet in there!!!!!
Hope everyone has a great evening:D

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Debbie~I think the headaches could possibly be allergy related. We all suffer from allergies, except Chris. I just have a minor one today...nothing like yesterday.

The weather is sunny and hot. No rain in sight.

I had a dentist appointment this morning. (posted about it in the veranda)

I haven't really accomplished much today, except taking out the trash and doing some laundry. I need to do dishes. They are just sitting and waiting on me. I also need to get some rosters and birth certificates ready for the coaches that are taking their teams to district play. I am glad my board duties are almost over. Saturday we pick new board members and I am not accepting any positions!! I want to be able to enjoy my life with my family. I will help out ONLY if I have time.

DH has a softball game tonight. I guess we will go and watch him and laugh. I always laugh at them because they look like they have no clue as to what they should be doing.:D

There isn't much buzzing here on the homestead today. I just feel like I have no energy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts