Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you can see, we now have a new name until the end of the year. Kinda catchy! Thanks Sherry.

Well today is the first of June. Seems like only yesterday, we were celebrating Christmas and now will soon be celebrating Father's Day and the start of summer. Time really is going fast this year.

Today, I woke up the a beautiful day, with the sun shining, the promise of more warm weather, a gentle breeze and dh using his plainer - UGH!!! He isn't suppose to make noise until after 9 a.m. He didn't realize the bylaws say, no noise until after 9 a.m. Hope he didn't wake up the neighbours. :eek:

I need to grind some wheat and bake bread today. Then I'll also wash a load of clothes. I've been trying really hard to make Sundays a day of rest, but with my foot being so bad, I'm behind in my work. Were also out of bread!!! Good enough reason to bake. I also need to do it before it gets too hot in the week.

I was just out looking at the flowerbeds and the flowers are doing really well. I wasn't sure if the poppies would survive, but they had perked up and are looking good. The flox are starting to perk up as well. Now if I could just get the stray cats to stay out of the flowerbeds, things would be great.

Thats the buzz for this homestead today.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Well, I must say, I have had a very productive week end. Today Dh got up and started on laundry and I went down to our garden spot and put in the rest of my garden. Well, ok, almost, I just got done tilling it and I'm giving my hands a rest then I'll go plant the rest of the seeds. I have blisters on blisters, but it's a good thing.
I went to the store and gota bitof fill in food milk, bread, ect. For dinner tonight i'm goingto make beer butt chicken, my firt attempt was not successful so wish me luck! I'm off not to finish the garden, if I sit here too long my muscles will tighten up and I'll not be able to move! LOL

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Hi everyone! Nice place we have here. :)

I bought a 25 gallon octagon aquarium and stand at a yard sale yesterday for .... *drum roll* ... $20!! :D So last night I got it all set up and filled and moved my fishies in from the old tank. This morning Tyler and I ran into town and got a replacement bulb for it and a few more fishies. I love aquariums.

Found out last night we are most likely getting another dog. When I met Dave he had a Husky and we loved her... she had to be put down a few years ago at 19 years old. Anyways... we met up with a friend in town here who has 7 Huskys :eek: He needs to get rid of 1 female because she is too timid and gets pushed around alot by the other 6. So I think we are going to take her. He is going to bring her over for a visit or 2 first to be sure she's ok with Tyler... and Rocky and Whisky. Andy says she will be fine though. Shes just a year old and her name is Brat. hehe I'll keep ya posted.

Oh! I found clothesline poles at a sale too! So I can finally hang my clothes out. I need to get Dave to put them up for me when he gets home from fishing. :)

Thats whats up here! Have a good day!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sherry, great to see you posting here again. Missed ya!!

Well the bread is finished, clothes are folded, dh has the kids at the park and I'm here all by myself. Its so quiet other than listening to the birds singing.

I've also watered the plants with rain from the rain barrels, but I'll soon need to use the town water. The rain barrels are almost empty.

Its a nice day here on the homestead.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi everyone! It's a beautiful warm sunny day here:cool: We did some loss leader shopping toay. 10# potatoes $1.39(2) chicken leg quarters $.29 lb(20#) Stokley veggies $.25 a can(20 cans) and a free 4lb bag of kitty food.
Now Dh is grilling burgers,the grass is mowed,and here I sit-after dropping the corner of a can on the top of my foot:eek: It's really pretty-if ya like the shade of purple!lol

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well lets see. Not much done here today. I AM going to take Sunday off every week. Other than feeding the horde anyway.
Got up an went to church with ds this morning. Had a headache this evening so he went with friends.
After church we went to HEB and I discovered their prices are the same as Wally World! No more grocery shopping at wally!!!
Tried ti take a nap but my head ached so badly I oculdn't relax. Then all of a sudden BOOOM and the house shook!
We had a really bad storm coming in! Looks like we may get a bit more in a while too.
At one point, the furniture on the back deck was being blown around in a circle! Several screens blew off the hosue and have not come down.
The yard is slightly flooded, and we had golf ball size hail at one point. It hit the house so hard my friend who had called said it hurt her ears through the phone! The wind blew so hard, it made the decorative frames stuff crooked! No glass appears broken though.
Wel its time for my 12 hour drops so I will leave you all.
Thank God for the rain, we sure need it!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good morning on this wonderful Monday morning, where the sun is shining, the birds are singing and all is quiet on my homestead.

Today I plan on doing some more decluttering. I still have a couple of drawers to get done in the kitchen and one drawer in my dresser.

I also plan on re-arranging my living room furniture. I just feel in the mood to change things around.

I need to also go to the post office and get Misty's swap in the mail and when I'm up there, I'll put up some strawberry Jello. I have enough rhubarb and strawberries (they were froze) to make up a batch of rhubarb/strawberry jam today.

Not much else happening on the homestead.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Morning CJ and everyone!

We have an appointment in town today at 11am. We need to stop at Wal Mart while we're in town and pick up some sort of a light for my new aquarium and dog food for a friend here in town.

I think Dave is fishing when we get back, but I'd rather he got some work done around here. :p I need him to put up my clothes line for sure. Then I can work on laundry this afternoon.

Hope you all have a great Monday!

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Yesterday we filled in for ds's Sunday School teachers who are on vacation. Dh volunteered us for that and I told him he'd better not do that again! LOL!

After we came home we went to the health food store (haven't been there in a long time!) and bought some things (lots of bogof). We are trying to change the way we're eating -we've not been getting enough fruits and veggies. :eek: We stopped at the pharmacy on the way back home and got our prescriptions (dh and I are both fighting sinus infections). Dh and ds stayed home to take care of the yard and I went back out. I drove down to a local produce stand to see if they were open - they weren't. Then I headed to Target because I badly needed a new watch. I stopped at Publix on the way home. Last night I started reading Misty of Chincoteague to ds (one chapter a night). It was my fave book as a kid. I read him the first chapter of Little House In The Big Woods last week and he hated it! LOL!

We're up kind of late this morning so I've got to get in gear and get started on our school lesson for the day. It's not too extensive so it won't take long. I need to get some laundry done today and run a few errands if ds will cooperate. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Here it is Monday and I don't have to go to work! Yeah! Summer has begun for us here. Thursday was the boys last day and Friday was mine. I do have to go in next week for 3 days, but I can handle that. I just am glad to be home and get some things done.

I need to reset the clothes line poles. One is leaning. I think I may get the boys to help me out. Then I can start hanging out clothes again.

The boys helped me sit up the pool so they could get in it and swim. Sure saves on trips and money to town to use the public pool. Now they can swim while I am cleaning or surfing..lol!

I noticed yesterday that the bulbs I planted months ago finally bloomed. I was fixing to give up on them. They just kept growing taller and taller, but no flowers on them. I was excited to see them finally open up!!!

Our crisis for the week is trying to decide where everyone wants to go for vacation in July? Noone can agree and I am frustrated because I can't make reservations and I am afraid every thing will be booked when they do decide. Some want the beach and the other half want to go to Disney World. I guess I will go either place. I just want everyone to be happy!

Well, I hope you have a great Monday!!:D

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Michelle - Have you thought about staying at the beach and driving over to Disney a few days? It's an easy trip (straight shot pretty much) from Cocoa Beach. Or stay at Disney half the time and the beach half the time? You should be able to find some sort of package deal that would let you do both. I don't know for sure, but you might be able to find some helpful info at this site - http://www.mousesavers.com/

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
well, a quiet monday here today. I am waiting on a package that should be here today or tomorrow, I hope. And i have some light cleaning to do in the house. if i don't get to it today, i will get to it this eveining after the kids are in bed for the night. I am getting my craft room organised for having people over when i do craft (stamping) workshops, so there is room for people, projects and the like. And then be able to have it as a regular room as well when people are not here. So I have that going on today. Not much else.:D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Hi Ladies,
Do you mind if I join in???:) Yesterday we went to the late service at church since we had been up late at the Brooks and Dunn concert the night before. It was wonderful and we were very blessed! Sunday afternoon was spent working on the van (DH repleaced the front shock absorbers) and in the yard (boys and I planted some more iris and some other plants and did some weeding).
So far today the boys have been doing yard work for neighbors and a few things around the house. I've got 3 loads of laundry done and hanging on the line.:smball: We have a funeral to go to in about an hour for our beloved adopted Grandma Anne. She taught me how to can and about gardening in this area. The peonies that she gave me are in full bloom in my front yard and remind me of her. I will miss her but am also happy that she is finally in heaven with God and that is where she has wanted to be for years since her stroke and heart attack.
Later this afternoon, one of my boys is babysitting and I have to get some bread made. I love to make my bread in the late afternoon so my husband comes home to fresh loaves and that wonderful aroma in the air!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Today was spent outside in the beautiful sunshine planting flowers. First thing was helping the horticultural ladies plant flowers in the barrels around town and in the bed at my end of the village. The kids and I then went to town before lunch to pick up 2 white planters. After lunch for the rest of the afternoon was filling my planters and 2 flower beds. I love doing this, I just love getting my hands in the dirt...um I mean the earth!!:D I did up 4 large planters for the back patio and 2 large and 1 medium for the front of the house. I also have a black iron type planter that is about 24 " high that I filled as well for beside the bench outside out front door. We are going to have a late supper here soon and then clean up and to bed.

Great day!! :smball: It's amazing how nice weather and sunshine can boost the mood!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Well, Monday a.m. all the work I did in the yard bit me in the bum.O.K., I said I was in pain right? Well, i had a big blister that has become infected. Had hubby take me to the Dr. because I thought I had blood poisoning, I don't think it is but my hand is completely swollen. Yes ladies, I have one, count 'em, one wrinkle free hand. Last time I looked that's not too terribly sexy. LOL Other than that , life is good. LOL Hey maybe I can get the sympathy vote from Dh and he;ll do the housework.;) Really though the important thing is the garden is in!! Went to school today. Summerschool, Laid back and it's only for a month and the money is good,which we need right now.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its Tuesday morning and the day is dull with the promise of rain, although I won't hold my breadth. We really need the rain.

Today I won't be doing much. I did some of the bookwork yesterday and want to get that finished today. I threw out some papers that I no longer needed and filed some away that I need to keep for tax records.

I mowed the lawn yesterday so that is done for another couple of days. The flowerbeds are really starting to look good and I have a few perennials blooming. The sashta daisies have really grown this year and spread and once they begin to bloom, they are going to be awesome.

I need to do some quilting and cutting material, so I think I'll try to get to that later today.

Other than that, not much else happening on the homestead.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well today I am doing the laundry and cleaning the kitchen and laundry room.
I may vacuum the living room as well. I have the boys busy trashing out their rooms.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good morning everyone!!!! Today it is a little gloomy and gray,but I woke up with a little extra energy,so I started a roast in the crockpot,made a gallon of freshky brewed tea,and am starting on laundry(I swear there must be other people hiding their dirty laundry at my house!)
Today is the last real day of school,I'm not sure if I am happy or sad about this one yet.
15 yr old DD is going to the mall with THE BOYFRIEND today. They are supposed to fill out applications for summer jobs. I hope she gets one.
I am going to do some baking today-don't know what yet. I need snack stuff to send with DH to work. Any ideas ladies????:D

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
Good morning! It's a beautiful sunny day :sun:

I won't been getting to much done today because I plan to just enjoy the day. All my family are out today and I have the house to myself all day!!!!!! This is a very rare occurance in our home. Someone is always at home. I plan on doing some clean up and fertilizing my hanging baskets and container garden. I'm going to spend some time catching up on all the reading here at the village, probably do some crossstiching and spend some time on my deck with a good book and a glass of iced tea. I think I will surprise my family and make a chocolate cake for dessert tonight.

The rest of the housework will still be here tomorrow. Besides, if I do too much today dh will be mad at me. When he kissed me goodbye this morning he said "Don't do housework, enjoy the day." So I will gladly listen to him :toothy:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Thank you Quiltermom for the link. I will check into it.

Today was spent mostly clipping coupons that I haven't done in a long while. I went on a long shopping trip and was able to get some great deals. I haven't been able to get out and take advantage of anything great since baseball took over my life. I am so glad that it is almost over. The end of June for regular season, but they play District and state if they win district in July. I know we are going to district as Chris is undefeated in league play.

Richard is mowing the baseball fields for money today. He said he plans on saving it for vacation. Chris and Dakota are doing errands around the field too to make money for vacation. They have become the "official" groundskeepers..lol! They have also worked in the concession for me.

Not much else is happening today on the homestead. The sun is shining, but we NEED rain very, very badly!! I wish it would come a downpour!!

Have a great Tuesday!!:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts