Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone on this glorious Sunday morning. It looks like the sun wants to pop out and the clouds look like they are disappearing, so hopefully the day will warm up and everything dry up after 2 full days of rain.

The buzz on this homestead is that I don't plan on doing much today. I'm trying hard to take Sundays as a day of rest, to rejuvenate and relax with the family and do some fun things, rather than working.

So we may go for a small ride today, just to look at the countryside and enjoy nature.

Do you realize at the end of this week, we'll be at the middle of June already. Time has really flown fast this year for some reason.

Whats the buzz on your homestead?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Good morning! Yesterday was my play day, so today I work.
Got up bright and early this morning and did a couple of loads of laundry this morning and already have one haning on the line. On a sad note, I went to let out my chickens and something got in the barn and killed on of my girls. :( I'm assuming it was an opossum. Oh, how I hate those things! My hubby will work on that this week getting all the holes plugged up. I think I'll make a roast for dinner tonight. something that is a stick to your ribs dinner. Well, need to go hang out another load. Have a great day everyone!!

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Today is mine and dh's 7th anniversary so we'll be going out to eat tonight.

Yesterday we wandered around Home Depot for a while and I ended up finding two Ti plants (love them!). Can't decide if I want to pot them or plant them. Today we've been to Target and Lowe's. I found two gorgeous hibiscus (a variety I've never seen) at Target so I grabbed those and as soon as dh gets the yard mowed we'll start planting. We also need to get all of our lava rock and old mulch out and put down weed screen and new mulch. Hopefully we can get quite a bit done before the rain starts again.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well all I truly have planned for today is a load of laundry or 2. Andrew has to do his laundry today as well. He leaves for youth camp tomorrow. He will be gone until Thursday!
He just isn't my baby anymore!
He turns 18 July 1st!
Chris is going to do some summer school this week, hopefully he will finish what he needs to do in a week or 2, then we can plan a family trip someplace! We won't leave TX, there is too much here to explore but maybe we can see something fun!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Happy Anniversary QuilterMom!

Today we ended up with more rain. We need all the rain we can get at this point. They are saying we are still behind on what we need. DH had to respond to an accident on the interstate though due to the rain slick roads. An 18 wheeler slid across the highway and jack-knifed. DH said he was lucky and noone else was involved.

Today I vaccuumed, did some laundry and decluttered a little. Yesterday was a play day with DH and the boys, so today is a catch-up day.

I would like to go to Lowes today and buy some paint. I want to re-paint my bedroom walls. Really I want to re-paint the whole house, but will start with one room and move to the rest.

Nothing else buzzing here today.

Hope you have a great Sunday.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Hope you are feeling better soon Carolyn.
Also, I love the sway idea!! Maybe once you get it finished you can post a pic of it.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Hi ladies!!:smball:

Happy Anniversary QuilterMom!!

Carolyn, try and take it easy and hope you are feeling better real soon.:angel:

Today I woke up to beautiful sunshine and a warm breeze coming in my bedroom window. No church today so after exercise and breakfast outside we went and that's where we stayed until it started to rain this afternoon (I did run in and make a quick lunch and we ate at the picnic table) I planted bulbs and plants that I dug up from a neighbours place...he didn't want them!! I also FINALLY got my clothesline moved so now my laundry isn't dipping into the pool!:D Can't wait to hang a load on the line tomorrow morning. I helped DH and the boys clean out the front of the barn and organize....I don't know if they appreciated my help or not...I kept saying pitch this and pitch that, my one son said to me Mom don't you have more bulbs to plant????;) Regardless we got alot accomplished outside today.

Supper is in the oven and DH has to leave after supper. I think I will bath Delaney, let the boys have their shower, then I will exercise, have a hot shower and everyone into bed early. I am sure we will all be out like a light!!:)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carolyn, hope your migraine is gone today.

Good morning everyone. Today looks like another day of rain. I ended up by washing clothes yesterday because we had run out of towels and facecloths, so today I need to get those clothes folded and put away.

I'm also going to be making rhubarb/strawberry jam today. The strawberries are out and melting and I need to go out and cut some rhubarb. Its an easy recipe and I can hardly wait to start filling up my pantry again with canning/preserves!! There is just nothing like the feeling you get when you go downstairs and see all the different size jars, the different colors, knowing that you made them!!

Once that is finished, I'll be working on a baby quilt I'm making for charity. Its turning out really cute and yesterday I worked quite a bit on sewing the blocks. I have all the material cut, so when I get a free minute, I sew a bit.

I'm going to put off baking bread today until tomorrow. Its a little cool and I like to have the kitchen warm when I'm baking bread - tomorrow is suppose to be a bit warmer.

Thats the buzz on this homestead.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Good morning!:smball:

We are getting a cool windy day here today, looks like rain!

DD has an appointment this morning. DS#2 is done his homeschool for the year, a few little odds and ends but we are pretty much done so today is running a few errands and picking up some supplies for the pool.

Our sand filter cracked over the winter and to replace it and the top cap was going to be approx. $800.00:eek: , big expense!! We told some friends about it and they just happened to be going for a drive the very next day and saw one that would be the right size for our pool PLUS the motor (so now we have a spare) all for $150.00, I was so excited and felt so blessed!! SO, we are now able to get the pool ready for the summer.

Need to wash bedding this afternoon and hopefully if the rain holds off I still have a few plants to plant.

Have a great day!!:smball: :smball: :smball:

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Oh CJ, mmmmmmm...........on the jam!! And yes I do know the wonderful feeling of seeing the lined shelves! Great isn't it???:)

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Beautiful morning here and now the dreary rain has set in for the afternoon.

I haven't gotten a lot accomplished today. We got up a little late so homeschool ran late, etc. I've got a load of towels in the dryer and have been tidying up throughout the house.

I noticed earlier today that our next door neighbors had a bunch of stuff sitting out by the curb next to their truck. They are moving soon so I assumed it was stuff they were going to load (they've been doing that for a few days now). But........ just in case I've been peeking out the window at it for hours. LOL! The rain was just about to start and I noticed some things already gone and could see some definite trash strewn about so I figured it was fair game (although our other nosy, up-to-no-good next door neighbor saw me!). I got a Pyrex 13x9 baking dish, a Pfaltzgraff 10x7 baking dish, a gardening spade, and a silk greenery arrangement in a basket. Neighborhood kids beat me to some interlocking floor mats that I could have really used. *sigh* LOL!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
What a Monday?? Had some errands to run this morning and am done with those for now.

Weather isn't too bad outside. It is in the 90's, but there is a little breeze. It is better than it could be.

I had to take Dakota to the dentist this morning. OUCH! He hates to go to the dentist and every time we go he panics and when they get in the middle of something he stops them. So he can never have anything completely done. He has some pretty bad cavities in the bottom back on each side. There are some other minor things they need to do too, but to cap those teeth are expensive!!! I told DH after insurance pays there part, our part is still $1,055. Can you believe that?? I about died. I told Dakota he better take care of those teeth!! The dentist we see recommended a pediatric dentist. They are going to put him to sleep. I guess that is why it is so expensive. BUT that is the only way they will get anything done. His first treatment is June 30th. I have to pay half the balance on that day. Thank goodness my paycheck will be coming in on the 25th. (Children are expensive to raise!) But they are worth it.

Tonight DH has a softbal game. I will be at the baseball field in the concession so I will miss it because he plays in another town. I hope Richard comes and helps me. Chris has baseball practice tonight. Dakota will be with me too. So we will all be going different directions.

I did manage to do some laundry and recolor my hair. (Story about hair in veranda forum.)

Well, I hope you have a great Monday.

I probably won't be posting Tues., Wed., or Thursday. I have to attend a educational class those 3 days. Something I have to take for my school.

That's it for the buzz on our homestead.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well thanks to Homesteadmamma, I am experimenting with cookies! I found a recipe on line at the bread site she sent (thanks soooo much sis! I love that site!) For "good for you chocolate chip oatmeal cookies" and I subbed about 1/2 the flour with whole wheat flour!
Jesse is typical MALE! He doesn't get people food, and the entire time I was mixing the dough he was barking at the mixer!
Now he is chewing his toys under my desk! He has claimed the bottom shelves as HIS and sleeps there whn I am computing.
If he thinks I am walking around too much, he lays down and holds on to my foot, then uses it as a pillow!
So far I did a load of laundry, visited with a friend, got dh to eat lunch at the kitchen table, and had a nice nap. Plus I walked Jesse this morning.
Andrew is off to youth camp, and Chris is taking some summer courses that he decided not to turn in work for over the year! GRRRRR
Thats all from this homestead today!

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I badly sprained my ankle last night so I won't be getting much accomplished today (and I had a lot to do - Wahhhhhhhhhhh!).

The day is starting off really gloomy so I guess we'll have rain, rain, and more rain.

Hopefully I can still get an apple cake made today and we'll do ds's homeschool lesson. Other than that I think I'm pretty much stuck sitting down with my foot propped up. :(

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good morning and this sunny Tuesday morning on my homestead.

Today I need to bake bread and while I'm doing that, I'll be working on the cinnamon bun tutorial. Don't have much left to do on that one, then will get the pictures developed and get them scanned.

I don't have to make anything for supper tonight as the Legion ladies are bringing supper over. We donated a clock for them to raise some $$ and so they are giving back to us by bringing supper over. There will even be dessert!! Kids are going to love that.

We were given a huge pile of deer meat last night, so I need to re-organize my freezer. That means taking everything out and making room so that I can put some veggies in on the weekend. I won't have to purchase meat on this homestead for quite some time!!

I need to get downstairs and bring up a shelf that has been there since we bought this place. I want to spray it black and then put it up in the kitchen and put a few cups and saucers on it. Its an antique!!!

Thats about all the buzz on the homestead for this morning.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well so far, bread is rising, the dog is walked, and chicken is cooking to be shredded for recipes.
Next is to cook the beans for the recipes this week. Oh an a load of laundry is washed and drying. Plus 2 that were washed yesterday are being folded and put up.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
All are so busy today!!:smball:

This morning I baked three pies and 2 dozen cupcakes for our church Fish Fry tonight. This afternoon I am going up to the complex to cut up the tomatoes and put on serving trays. Boys have swimming lessons after school and then DS#1 has a grass cutting job to do and DS#2 has a 4-H meeting to go to AND we have to make it to the fish supper at some point!!:smball: Everything happens on the same night. When I get home tonight I must pack for DS#1's graduation trip. They are going to Toronto for three days and are going to so many sights including a Blue Jay game and Lion King play.

Also have done 2 loads of laundry and hung out to dry and cleaned the pool.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Hi Ladies,
QuilterMom, I pray your ankle heals soon! As for us, one of my sons is having a horseback riding lesson while his twin babysits the istructor's children. This afternoon, the other twin babysits the same kids while their instructor gives lessons to other kids. They have a barter arrangement where their babysitting is traded for lessons! All 3 boys have to get ready for their piano recital tonight which means I get to hear alot of piano practice today. I bought cookies to take to the recital, so that is one less thing to worry about. The laundry is in the dryer (looks like it might rain) and the kitchen still needs to be cleaned.:) The twins still have some weed eating and a lawn to do today (paid jobs), so I am hoping they get home soon. On my personal to do list today I still have bread to make, a quick dinner to prepared so it can be zapped in the microwave later, my bangs to trim and some reading to do. I'm also hoping to organize the pantry today!:smball:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Not too much going on here. I have been on a laundry kick today. I have gotten more done in this half day than i have done in whole weekends. getting to the bottom of the hamper!! WOo hoo. I need to declutter the craft room, bedroom and the kitchen, hopefully this week. Plus I have been trying to get rid of DH's orange couch, since he got a new couch for the living room the end of last month. But he has instead decided to move it into the bedroom....ARGH!! Anyhow, I hope to have it out of here in the next week or so, i will be glad when it is gone.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts