Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Easter everyone.

I woke up to a glorious sunny day, with the promise of nice warm temperatures. The easter bunny had hid 24 easter eggs, filled to overflowing and it was fun to watch the kids search for the eggs. They will now be content for the rest of the day.

Today will be a nice quiet day spent with the family, enjoying the homestead to its fullest. Will probably be outside due to the wonderful weather.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day "down on the homestead".

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Happy Easter everyone!

This has turned out to be a beuatiful day....sunny and warm.

The Easter bunny left chocolate bunnies behind for the boys. The bunny also left lots of eggs to be found by Dakota and my niece and nephew. They had such a great time finding them.

DH bbq'ed a brisket. I made a coconut cream pie with Richard's help. It is delicious. I just had a piece.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
Happy Easter everyone! :bunny:

The sun has managed to peak out a bit today and it's not raining or snowing so I'm very happy.

We spent a quiet morning together as a family remembering some of our past Easter celebrations. At noon we had a wonderfully simple but delicious Easter dinner. Ds#1 is now at work and my kitchen is clean so I will just rest, read and enjoy my family for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Hi everyone!:)

We did spent a good part of the day outside. Dh and I took turns to rake our backyard. The weather was warm and beautiful.

The boys spent the whole day skateboarding in front of the house. We visited with my ILs and we were back for a small supper, just the 6 of us.

Happy Easter...

Lucie:)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning everyone. Its a beautiful day here with the sun shining again and the promise of nice warm temperatures. Its going to be a very busy day here down on the homestead.

I need to grind grain and get a batch of bread going as soon as the kids are up. I also plan on making a batch of buns. While the bread is rising, I may make up a batch of peanut butter cookies for the kids and dh.

Dh has put in a request for hot turkey sandwiches tonight. The neighbour gave us 1/2 a cooked turkey last night, so I want fresh bread for the sandwiches for his meal tonight.

I just put in a load of clothes to wash. Will try to get that all done today too and hung outside to dry. Also plan on getting a couple of dressers decluttered AGAIN!!!

Need to do more work in the flowerbeds and get them ready for planting the roses. Also need to clear a patch for more raspberry bushes. The strawberries all survived and are looking good. All the perennials survived as well and are all starting to shoot up.

I also need to do more reading and studying of Becoming Vegetarian. Its a great book and there are some really interesting stats and information in the book.

Tonight I plan on having a relaxing evening spent reading. Also will be doing my biking and walking today.

Hope everyone is doing well "down on the homestead"

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I typed the above post, I have whole wheat bread in the oven, cinnamon buns rising, 4 loads of laundry done, with 2 hung up.

I've also decluttered dh's dresser. He is notorious for keeping "holie" socks and not wanting to throw out t-shirts that are stained. They will be in the garbage before he even notices they are missing. :toothy:

The weather has turned out absolutely beautiful here, with a little breeze, sun shining and puffy clouds passing through.

As Carolyn says, always something to do down on our homesteads.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
My goodness CJ, I need a nap after just reading your day today, LOL.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Something smells good. I bet it is CJ's cinammon buns fresh from the oven!! YUMMY!

The weather was nice today. Suppose to rain tomorrow. It is needed, but I like the warm sun.

DS#1 helped out today by doinf laundry, sweeping, moping and vacuuming the floors for me. He only had 1/2 day of school today and the other half he spent doing chores.

My knee is feeling a little better. Trying not to do any more damage to it. Feels like there is alot of pressure in it. Glad DS#1 was able to help out.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well today was a relax day! I did tidy the kitchen, and do 1 load of laundry.
Other than that I watched diy shows on tv!
I did go for my a\walk, this evening we went a bit further and walked a bit faster. My legs are a bit tired!
Hope everyone is having a great evening!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man/woman healthy, wealthy and wise. Well after being so busy yesterday, I was in bed at 9:30 last night and was up at 6:30 this morning.

I woke up the sun, the birds singing and the promise of a wonderful day. Last night, during my walk, I noticed the leaves were bursting forth. Oh to see green again. One of my favorite things to see is when the wheat is first up out of the ground. It looks like a lush green carpet that you could walk on barefoot. I love it.

Today down on the homestead, will be a much easier day. I plan on making the peanut butter cookies I didn't make yesterday. I'm trying to get some froze ahead for the summer, so that I don't have to use the oven then.

I'll use my meat grinder tonight to grind up some fish and make fish patties for the family for supper.

I plan on decluttering another dresser today and moving it, although I'm not sure where to yet. If I can find a place for whats in the dresser, I may end up by storing it downstairs and taking it to our oldest dd when I'm in the city again.

Also want to get out into the flowerbeds again and do some weeding. Already those weeds are sprouting.

Everytime I look at the veggie garden plot, I'm torn between wanting a garden and not wanting all that work, yet wanting those fresh tomatoes picked right off the vine, those beans snapped outside, kwim. I really am torn!!

I'll do my bike later this morning and doing my walk later tonight. Ds#1 and dd came with me last night.

Hope your all having a great day "down on the homestead".

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well since the kids are gone today it will be a tad busier than yesterday. I have trouble working around people!
Sis, who says you have to do an all out veggie patch? Just plant a few of what you like best.
For me that maters, melons and peppers. I do plan a bigger patch but just because I WANT to.
I saw last night on one of my $.25c rose bushes, a new bud!!!! they are alive!
True its a yellow one but I can just smell it, and yellow roses are cool, just not as cool as pink red or purple!
What a glorious day God has given us!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Good afternoon! It has been raining on and off all morning. I know we needed some rain, but we had baseball tonight and now it is probably cancelled.

I am not sure what will be for supper tonight. Any ideas ladies?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well here we are at the middle of the week with another wonderful day in the making.

I stayed up late last night to finish reading a book, so I think today will be a lazy day around here. Dh was told yesterday he can put in has many hours overtime has he likes because they are getting so busy, so our meals will be at odd times. Thats okay, because all the extra $$ will go into our van fund.

I plan on getting outside today and working again in the flower beds. They need to be ready in a couple of weeks. I'll put the rain barrels up also and have them ready, should we get rain soon. Also need to water the plants.

Other than that, not much happening here today.

Hope your all doing well, "down on the homestead".

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
Its been a busy few days here and dh has been hogging the computer so I haven't gotten a chance to post. ;)

It's a beautiful sunny day here; the windows are all ready open. :)

We have been doing quite a bit of yard work the past few days and it's looking a lot better around here. Now if I can just get to weeding the shrub beds I will be very happy.

Yesterday I cleaned the house and did lots of baking. I made two loaves of whole wheat bread, 8 dozen choc chip cookies, two dozen muffins, and I made some pancakes and waffles to freeze for breakfasts.

Today will be a different day. I have two dks working on their school work and I'll be leaving here in a few minutes taking my oldest to college. I'll pick up a few groceries and then this afternoon we are playing tennis with another homeschool family. We'll need to have an early supper and then take ds#2 to work and dd needs to be dropped off to babysit. Now that I'm reading this I can see that I'll be living in the car today. :( Oh well. These kind of days make me appreciate the days I can stay home all day.

Hope everyone has a great day on their homesteads.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well since I posted this morning, the kids have all their math and language arts done and I finished the weeding of the flowerbeds while they were working. Thats all done.

I then watered the perennials and roses and I was surprised, the the rose bush I thought I might have lost, I didn't. Its starting to get new branches on it, so it was a complete success in covering my roses and perennials up with leaves. I didn't lose one!!

My apple trees and cherry trees are starting to burst forth in leaves so hopefully they will grow a bit this year and maybe even produce a little bit of fruit. I need to get more raspberry bushes and a few more strawberry plants.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this homesteader is up very early this morning, not normal for me. I just couldn't sleep so I figured may as well get up and do some reading while its peaceful in the house. I love this time of day when the kids are sleeping and dh has gone to work.

Today isn't going to be too busy, at least I don't think so. I'll be hauling some black dirt to the neighbours along with filling some low spots in our yard. I have way too much dirt and she doesn't have the finances, so its a little way of paying her back for all the fresh buns and baking she has brought over.

It looks like we could get some rain, although the forecast doesn't say rain. I'm sure the farmers would like it to hold off until they can get their planting done. It sure would turn everything green if it did rain.

I'll be watching the quilting forum quite a bit today to see who wins the contest. I'm hoping that they don't begin to throw things at me for giving them harder words. :eek:

Hoping everyone is having a wonderful day "down on the homestead".

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well since I posted early, early this morning I got a spirt of energy. I've been decluttering again and now have 3 bags and a full box to go to the recyling depot.

I also started to clean up the porch. I never wanted a porch on a house because it always tends to have all junk in it. Unfortunately, there was a porch on this house when we bought it!! I now have a huge garbage bag filled with things for the garbage tomorrow. I'll need to tie the bag before dh gets into it. :toothy:

I decided because its clearing up, I'd throw a load in the wash and hang it outside.

Always something to do on the homestead!!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Hi all!! Happy Birthday CJ!!

Today I am a decluttering machine.....I am still at it and am feeling so much better the more stuff I get rid of. My day will be spent continuing on with this. I have spent most of the week at appt's, helping neighbours move and clean their houses (new and old). Seeing the amount of things that get accumulated over the years at my neighbours farm, it has really made me look at my own home. I have a bin set up for things to be burned in the burn barrel out back, I have a huge box for sending to Salvation Army and another box for my Mennonite friends. I have enough bowls, pie plates etc. to set up another household. I take these things to my Mennonite friends and they divvy the items that they can use between them and their neighbours.

Enough rambling! It is a sunny but still cool day out today, don't feel bad for being inside!

Have a wonderful day!!:smball:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a fun filled day yesterday looking for bunnies!!! I didn't get a thing done on the homestead, but when its your birthday, you can do that without any hesitation!!

Today is library day, so once the kids are up, will hit the small library south of here. They are all out of books and dh needs more as well.

This afternoon will be working outside. I need to begin to scrape down dh's workshop and then start painting it if the weather is nice. I have all the paint here from last year, but the weather turned bad and we weren't able to do it then.

Once that is done, dh has to make some flower boxes and I'll need to prime them and then paint them so they are ready to put the flowers in at the end of May.

I just looked at the grass as well and it needs cutting.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day down on the homestead.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts