Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saying for a while that we need a thread to celebrate the temptations that we resist! So here it is! I put it in the money challenges, because sometimes it is food, sometimes it is durable objects, sometimes it is craft supplies and toys... but it ALL costs money.

So I'll go first... Michael's B1G2 scrapbook paper bundles yesterday. I already have a desk drawer full.
Shelf Font Retail Shelving Publication

And then Aldi's had their own version of my FAVORITE cookies... ok, actually, 3rd favorite, but #1 is seasonal and #2 is not available locally... and they are so CHEAP !!!

:cry::cry::cry: Gas Bumper Machine Food Font

TBH, the ONLY reason I was able to resist these is that I decided to get back on the weight loss wagon YESTERDAY...otherwise, these would have been in my cart in a heartbeat and my belly 3 hours ago!!! But still, I'm counting it as a win.

Ok, your turn! Resist and celebrate!!!

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I haven't bought fabric in 8 days, even though I went by Joann's and Michael's this week and get daily sales ads from online shops in my email each morning.

Haven't been to Aldi in over a week, so I haven't seen the christmas cookies yet.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I was out running errands and looked over at the coffee shop and..... drove home and made tea.

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
I noted elsewhere I hated the J needle I was trying to relearn cable knitting with, and found myself perusing Amazon in search of a different style. But I decided to use what I have since I already had it, and make a better effort to learn to use it. I like the J needle now, and I think it works better than what I thought I wanted. I saved a few dollars and avoided turning my J needles into unwanted clutter.

Incidents like this often remind me of what my Grandma, who raised 6 kids through the Depression, used to say: "If you don't got what you want, then want what you got." Excellent advice in many situations, particularly when money is tight.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Oh I like this thread...I would have LOVED to go by the donut shop this morning...a chocolate donut with nuts sounded soooo good...instead I ate homemade oatmeal. The oatmeal was yummy...but I really wanted a donut.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Electric fireplace at 75% off.

I've always wanted one and our heat is out, but I have a little space heater that will do and $300 is more than I make a month. It was lovely, but... 75% off something I don't really need is not a savings.

I have to keep reminding myself of that instead of dwelling on how I missed out on a really good deal :rolleyes:. When the finances are more in tune there will be other electric fireplaces on sale. I have a tendency to act as if something beautiful and/or useful that's on discount is the only one I will ever see at that price, and it's crazy how often that is not at all true. It's not like I live on the international space station and there's only one limited delivery a year.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I was all set to go buy new clothes for a holiday party this week and I remembered a black top with lace inserts I bought over the summer. I have some very sparkly costume jewelry that will look good with it. Shopping from the closet: $0

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
Went to change the batteries in my dental irrigator - couldn't get it to work with good batteries. Started looking online for a replacement. Then I saw a box in the corner of the upstairs hallway - I have a duplicate! I have no idea where I got it, it looks slightly used but the tip is still in a plastic bag. Fiddled around with both of them, got the original one to work again.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesterday I was at Wallyworld and I saw this "list" on the side of a Cheetos Popcorn Tin and thought it was very cute. Alas, I don't like Cheetos... so hooray for the internet, where I found a picture of the tin, have cropped it, and now I have the "cute thought" for free with no clutter, no junk food and no cost! I can imagine doing up a similar homemade image for Christmas cards some year...

Font Poster Rectangle Advertising Staple food

being good and cooking dinner when I don't really want too lol but using up stuff in the house. did buy that big choc bar yesterday cus need a sugar rush lol
Chocolate is a necessity sometimes!

Oh I like this thread...I would have LOVED to go by the donut shop this morning...a chocolate donut with nuts sounded soooo good...instead I ate homemade oatmeal. The oatmeal was yummy...but I really wanted a donut.
That is some serious willpower! (She types as she puts on her shoes to drive the teen to 7-Eleven for a sugary pre-school bribe...)

I have a tendency to act as if something beautiful and/or useful that's on discount is the only one I will ever see at that price, and it's crazy how often that is not at all true. It's not like I live on the international space station and there's only one limited delivery a year.
The internet has a name for that, "FOMO." It is too easy to mourn the idea of something we resist, even if the reality would never have measured up. You'll get your fireplace some day! :)

Fiddled around with both of them, got the original one to work again.
I am always impressed with people who can fix things by fiddling! It is a highly underrated skill!

ds is on work shadow all week so nagged to get him to make a lunch for tomorrow.
Possibly the most impressive of all! I keep TRYING to get H to pack his lunch-- his school only has limited-menu Chick-Fil-A... unhealthy, expensive, and frankly BORING IMO... but even when I have tried packing things for him, he has "forgotten," so that is something that he is just not ready for at this time. :( Kudos to you for getting your son on the right track!!! The food is probably better, and it will save him SO much money in the long run!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
lol well he doesn't get an allowance so though there is lots fast food etc places around and I didn't encourage coming home at lunch cus school is close. When he worked w his dad he learned too cus there isn't much around there and min 10min drive for food. plus I don't like making sandwiches..will buy the stuff. took a long time to get dh to take lunch and eat at home. he didn't when single etc.

now we always have a stockpile of sugar stuff lol but the halloween choc was long gone and my good choc too.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts