Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I "JOMO'd" a bunch of books. Put them in a cart at the online store then decided to ask the library to buy my favorite option. They usually get my suggestions and I try not to abuse the request system

·
Super Moderator
20,322 Posts
If I felt like I was missing out, it wouldn't make me feel joyful. Like, at all.

Every time I go to the grocery store, I could make a long list of things I don't buy. Usually what I don't buy isn't about money, but calories and weight loss goals.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I like that ! jomo! I think more that you aren't upset you can't do that too. like skiing etc or going to certain places. happy for the person but no interest. went though cards and found enough for next couple of years. don't know which ones people got before but don't care lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
SD: True!

I was thinking about that point. I usually get some JOMO when I see people with cable and streaming subscriptions. I like entertainment but I don't pay for it. I get movies from the library or click "skip ad" on youtube repeatedly. But that's a tiny triumph

On the way to work this morning I was reminded of a few of my JOMOs that truly bring me J
1) I have my sister's old iphone as an ipod (took out the sim card so it is just a wifi device). She left her audible subscription on it and told me to listen to whatever books I want if she's already bought it (yes, it kind of violates my amazon boycott...working on that!). My "new 20" year old honda has a sound system of sorts but no way to plug in the ipod/phone. I usually have books on cd from the library but had none. SO, while thrifting a while back I put "one of those cassette that plays the walkman through the car things" and FOUND ONE! Couple of bucks. It works! I take the cord from the cassette thingy and plug it into the headphone jack on the ipod/phone and turn on the "stereo".

2) I was shoveling the drive by hand (park near the road when snow is on the ground and/or expected). The neighbor's plow service showed up. I don't know what she pays, but that drive way is over 1/2 mile long and despite having snowmobile, 4-wheeler and being in good shape, the pays to have the whole thing plowed. I spent 45 min shoveling (I am picky early in the winter and shovel a big space...as the snow accumulates it gets smaller/quicker). I got fresh air, exercise, knew I did not pay any money beyond the 25$ really good steel shovel I bought about 10 years ago. I walk about 1/4 mile from the house to the car, using gifted snowshoes when it's really snowy, today was just really good winter boots (bought by my employer and specifically told it was fine to wear them home and back...actually, they also bought the last 3 good winter coats as christmas gifts for staff). I got to see pretty snow on trees, think about my day, and had an excuse to put off a trip to the gym.

3) Once in the car, while the oil circulated for a minute, I used my thrift store thermos of water heated on the woodstove last night and just reheated to boiling this morning on the butane stove, to make coffee in my travel french press. Thermos was 2 or 3$ at thrift years ago and I've used it so much the plastic inner lid broke. I have one that doesn't quite fit jammed in there until I find a better match and I try not to let it tip. The french press is a "new" one from thrift that did cost about 5$...a lot for me but I wore out the inner pressy-downy thing on the one I had used (and have not thrown away...it's the same size as the "new" one) and broke the handle off (then I just called it a "tumbler). The coffee was bought at a discount store and ground in a manual grinder from thrift that replaced a manual thrift grinder I used until the ceramic grindy bits broke. I like the processes and it gives me about 2 minutes for the oil to get back around the engine and take off in the morning.

The part of the morning where I have to put on 40degree jeans because I don't heat the place with the woodstove while I'm at work, just let the fire die through the night and enjoy (really enjoy) sleeping in the cold room...well, putting cold jeans on warm legs in the morning is not really a "joy". Not paying for wood to heat an empty house with no plumbing does...but not right when the frozen brass belt buckle hits my gut!

·
Super Moderator
20,322 Posts
Husby used to like shoveling, too. I used to help with shoveling decks and small areas, too, but that all came to a screeching, unforeseen halt 2 yrs ago for me, 4 yrs ago for him. Now we love our plow guy, without whom we would be truly missing out, because we couldn't continue to live here.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I actually feel a bit of JOMO for a house. Not that I was planning on buying one recently.

But I have complained in the past that we only have a condo because houses are quite expensive where we live.
However, I realized that neither my husband and I really want to do any of the outside work required for a house. And we are not the type that enjoys having people over for outdoor cookouts. So really I am happy not to have a house.

The only issue prior is that having a house is sometimes seen as a sign of having made it or doing well financially. Pretty sure my in-laws - who live in a lower cost of living area than us - thought so. Also pretty sure our condo cost more than their house, though I never told them so.

But I have slowly and gradually reached a point where I don't care what people think of our financial status.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
condos aren't cheap here either and most people downsize to a condo from a house in later years for that reason yardwork etc.

·
Super Moderator
20,322 Posts
I was having a lil bout of floss box envy while I worked on a recent cross stitch project. Husby has a small plastic floss box, like the big floss storage boxes but about ¼ the size. It seemed like a good idea for WIP floss, even with the added chore of winding floss on bobbins at the start of a kit project. But I think it will be better for the floss vs leaving it on the presorted cards, and handier than a baggie for stash floss already on bobbins. Amazon to the rescue, right? But... $13! WHAT?! Don't think so. What to do? Like my cheapness is going to keep me from having my very own floss box. After considering and discarding several ideas, I thought about my dwindling tin collection. Checked to see what I had. Yes! Two good prospects! But wait! Husby's box has those nice dividers. Envy... But I have a whole tote full of boxes waiting to be recycled. A few slashes and snips later, I too have a little divided floss box of my very own, all ready to be put to work. And I'm very much enjoying my JONMO (joy of not missing out), since I'm not missing out on a thing except waiting a week for UPS to bring me a dang plastic box. And I get to enjoy using one of my cute tins, which I love. Yea, me!
Rectangle Chocolate bar Material property Food Recipe

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
We went to JOANN yesterday. Dh needed some Velcro for a project. He also wanted a glue gun. Mine is really cheap. I looked at the christmas Clearance. I just looked. Dh got what he wanted and I only bought 3 pieces of felt to make Gabby Cat headbands for dgds. I didn’t look at fabric. I was proud if myself .

·
Registered
655 Posts
Stopped at a thrift store in case my hardware/tool list stuff would be there. Nope. BUT there was a travel French press coffee maker which I love. I left it there. First time I have passed one up. The price was higher and it wasn't stainless steel. They had a great deal on vintage enamelware plates. I also love those and the whitebwith red trim matches an antique table I use. Alas I have no room AND a ton of enamelware plates in other colors that are also pretty so I managed to put them back. Went to the hardware and for the grommet kit I needed and left without checking the sales

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
MaggieTru, that is some serious willpower!!! Gold Star!!!

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Oh dear. I just found this - right after I placed an Amazon order. 😂 I was pretty good though and only have one thing on it that shouldn’t be - a cube timer. I think they’re cool. Definitely don’t need it since my phone has a perfectly good timer, but wanted it. It’s staying on the order. The rest is boring but needed household stuff.

My problem with craft stuff isn’t so much FOMO as FOFI - fear of forgetting it. I see so many great cross stitch patterns on my craft groups and want them all. I’ve starting dealing with that by immediately putting them on wishlists. Then every once in a while I sort through them and find that most that were awesome at first sight have devolved to just nice or even ok, or similar to one I already have, so I take them off. Anything that survives multiple culls over time is actually worth remembering about.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts