Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
The tab on the mail alert flag on our mailbox broke off. Not the red flag so the mail carrier knows to pick something up, the yellow one we added that flips up when mail has been delivered. His idea of 'fixing' it was to jump on Amazon and find 3 potential replacements ranging from $35 to $105. Oh, hell, NO! He's no good at most repairs. I took 10 minutes and made a new part from a SPAM can. I suspect that won't last long, but good enough for now. I'm making him rivet the new part on. He had to go to YT to figure out how to use it. TBF, it's been a while, but still. I just paid for the $20 set of quilt rulers I want, fixing his stupid mailbox alert for him.

On a less grumpy note, I figured out how I want to make a removable outdoor shelf on the camper. I've wanted one since we got the new camper 10 yrs ago and lost the shelf on our last camper. There were a variety of problems I couldn't seem to solve when it came to making a new shelf. But today an idea hit like a lightning bolt. I love when that happens! I priced the wire closet shelf I would need. $18+ for a 23wx16d piece. Not thrilled with the price or the width, so that was just a maybe. Found out a metal shelf we had wasn't available, so the hunt was on within my salvaged stuff. I knew I could and would pay for new, but I didn't want to. Luckily, I found a chunk 31x16, much better size. It needs cleaning, rust remediation, and paint, but we have everything for that already, so won't have to buy it. And I won't need to buy the new shelf, saving $18+. I found folding shelf brackets for $5 each, well worth it to buy 2. I will also have to buy some hardware, some of which will be stainless steel (expensive) but Husby has a $5 coupon that should cover most of it. Very happy I won't be buying the new wire shelf at such a high price, but will still be getting the ever so handy shelf I've wanted for so long at a bargain price. I will also need to make a carry bag for the shelf, but shouldn't have to buy anything for that either.

Can't wait to get the shelf done. I hope it warms up soon so I can paint.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
I was out today running errands and feeling hungry and cold. I could have gone by a fast food place for lunch and bought myself a fancy coffee, but I came home instead. Warmed up chicken and leftover biscuits, and made a big cup of hot tea. Feeling better now.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
View attachment 59369
Today I deserve a medal! I DID NOT buy this dish towel for my in-laws, who actually "cook" scrambled eggs and pillsbury biscuits (if those count) and just reheat ABSOLUTELY everything else from cans, the freezer section, or restaurant leftovers, and almost entirely in the microwave. It is a very pretty kitchen, though, and easy to keep clean that way...
hahaha well getting to be me..but it is like now everyone needs a chef kitchen in their house with so many cupboards on those shows yet you know it is just for show not to banging out meals.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Today at work we were finalizing a tedious grant application and I loathe it every year. I DID buy cookies and lunch out to get through it, but managed to NOT buy the usual celebratory crappy take out dinner. Baby steps??? Also healthier to have 2 bad meals rather than 3.... the cookies were breakfast. Anyway, had the dinner order ready online but deleted it and went home instead. Saves 20$

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I didn't buy a new refrigerator to match my other appliances. It was tempting. If I still want it on January 1, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I really didn't want it badly.
That is wise, and maybe you'll catch a year-end sale!

I found 12 Royal Prince Albert Old Country Rose dinner plates on an auction tonight....I let them go at $33....I thought I would go $50 but I didn't feel like driving cross town in the morning...... I'm sorry I did this, but I really don't need them.....I'm having storage problems as it is....
Ooof! That is some willpower! But probably the best choice... once you had the 12 piece plates, there would be the temptation to get the matching bowls, cups/saucers, salad plates, bread plates, dessert plates and serving dishes... I priced that pattern out 25-plus years ago, NOT cheap, even if you DID start with a great deal on the plates...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I made it through 2 thrift stores with empty hands and full pockets!!!!
Didn't buy a really cool vintage pan with cup measurements on it. I love those...and DO NOT NEED another .
Well done, MaggieTru! I know how much you love that kind of stuff!!! Next time post a picture so we can ogle along with you!!!

The past few days I have been catching up on reading free ebook versions of books I took pictures of here-and-there over the past few years (while I was busy with my own school plus the kids'.) Of the 3, I am glad I spent zero money on any of them... not great reads, but now they are checked of my "to check out" list and deleted off my phone, and they didn't cost me anything, so...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I am particularly proud of myself today for NOT buying an absolutely beautiful dollhouse for $12 that I had absolutely NO need for... You know those $$$ kits they sell at Hobby Lobby? It was one of those, but actually finished, and probably the loveliest completed one I have ever seen that wasn't an actual floor model at a store. H has started-and-trashed at least two of those over the decades, maybe even 3... don't remember... My girls are too old for that sort of thing now, and I don't expect grandchildren any time soon (if ever.) But it was just so pretty and so tempting...

Luckily, before I left the store, someone else was buying it for her granddaughter, and all is right with the world. :)

I also didn't buy the cute light blue "cruiser" bike (that was probably a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Drink Natural foods Handwriting Alcoholic beverage Glass bottle

Y'all, talk me out of going back for these!!!

I have a cookie jar, it is an awesome cookie jar, and I don't even make cookies very often...

BUT these are a blast from my past. When I was a young bride (without a cookie jar to my name) I used to ogle these when they would show up in the grocery every holiday season-- out of my price range and filled with cookies I didn't want... So now my inner 90's girl is sulking that she wants them, even though I don't need even one, let alone all 3 (or both designs, etc.)

Must. Resist.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
They are very pretty, but will you use them? Do you have space for them?

Reminds me of my duck shaped soup tureen. I bought it because who wouldn't want a soup tureen with a duck shaped lid? And I thought that one day I'd live the kind of life where soup tureens were used daily (and cleaned by someone else). LOL! It's still it original packaging in a box in the garage somewhere. If I could find it I'd send it to the thrift shop to sit next to the cookie jars.

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
Oooo, that was cold, DLR! 😂😂😂

I had a duck-shaped soup tureen. It became one of those "what the hell was I thinking?" items I got rid of fairly quickly.

Cookie jars are overrated, IMO. They often don't seal very well so the cookies get stale right away. And in my case, if I have cookies or their containers in my line of sight like on a counter, I eat way too many cookies. And who has room on the counter anyway?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Ok, y'all, let me get this straight, TWO of you have/had duck-shaped soup tureens? I actually just had to go and look that up, and yep, apparently they are a thing! Who knew???

CH, some of the ones I saw in a quick search are pretty pricey, you should see if yours is worth anything... never know!

DLR, I have the picture in my phone, that will have to do. :) And now it is immortalized on the "thread o' dumb $#!t Z doesn't need to be wasting money on." 😜

SD- I have a tiny dedicated spot on my counter for my cookie jar that I rarely use... it is Nightmare Before Christmas Themed and labelled "Deadly Nightshade." Even though I rarely use it for cookies, it makes me happy having a container labelled "poison" right next to my stove!!! 🤣

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Spoken by someone who donated about 25 car loads of unused china/glassware/clothing/knick-knacks from parents' house....
I don't have a soup tureen or cookie jar. I DO have and use a cut glass biscuit barrel received as a gift. It's just tall enough to stand the homemade biscotti upright inside. On the other hand, I love silver coasters and have a couple (inherited) sets. :devilish:

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
I got rid of all my inherited sets yrs ago except my mom's wedding china. I probably won't keep that after she's gone, but she was so heartbroken about getting rid of it when we cleaned out her house I said I wanted it. There are a few things we have for only that reason.

I keep weeding out more and more knickknacks all the time. I'm trying to get useless stuff down to a minimum. It takes forever though.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I use my Waterford biscuit jars in the bathroom to hold cotton balls, Qtips, and floss....I got them as a wedding present and I admit it wasn't long ago they were sitting in the boxes and I decided I need to use them.... I confess I have a couple soup tureen.......I had four......I gave my duck one away about two years ago....kept the Ivory one as it goes with everything and I use it when we have soup and sandwiches and people over (which isn't often).......gave my husband's niece one that I never used........the other one is a pumpkin and I used that during the holidays.....I usually put stuffing in it.....

I have a thing for dishes and crystal and I admit I have wayyyy too many....I love setting the table pretty....it makes me happy and it does no harm so I do it....husband likes it too.....last week had a friend come for dinner and she is so busy she hardly has time to eat and she was excited to see the table decorated and she really enjoyed her meal which was only a salad , naan and wine...... She's quite young and has never seen a table set correctly....she has four boys so you can imagine what it's like at mealtime....now they are getting to be teenagers and they are hardly ever home during meal time so it's fast food eaten in the car ........I grew up eating at the table....my kids grew up eating together at the table....now adays it's different world...

Sunday while at Big Lots I found a beautiful glass bird bath with butterflies and hummingbirds....beautiful colors....I have two but they are faded and the stands are leaning and we talked about replacing.....I hesitated cause it was $38....husband told me to get it.....got home and looked at receipt....it was on sale for $22!!! So I'm happy it jumped in my cart.....probably shouldn't be posted here cause I DID buy it...

81 - 100 of 110 Posts