Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

· Super Moderator
24,538 Posts
It's fun to hear about the birdbath, Peg. Glad you got a nice discount.

I know I did the right thing last week, but it still stings a little that I didn't buy a very old, very heavy cast aluminum roaster. It was in perfect shape at a thrift shop having a storewide 50% off sale. It was marked $20, so I would have paid only $10. I stood there looking at it a l-o-n-g time, but sadly concluded I already have a vintage aluminum roaster the same size. I don't need 2, don't have room for 2, and won't get rid of the one I've had and loved for decades. After those thoughts went through my mind, I realized I had already made my decision. It was a cool old piece. I'm proud of myself though. In the olden days, like 2007, I would have just snapped it up and worried later about if I really needed it or where I'd store it. I'm glad I've learned to buy, or not, more thoughtfully. Not perfect, but doing much better.

I spent $32 at that store, mostly on fabrics, much of the fabric needed for a new custom quilt for the odd shaped T-bed I made in the camper. There were lots of things I wanted to buy, but pretty much stuck to my shopping list except for obvious things, like a brand new large spool of black Dual Duty thread for .50. Not on the list, but sooner or later I'll need it and would have to pay much more, ditto for the very cheap NIP drawer pulls to replenish my depleted stash of them. And some sheets for quilt backs for WIPs. Not on the list, but at $1.50 each, it would have been stupid not to grab them instead of waiting till I need them.

I didn't buy a large bright pink shopping bag. I loved it, didn't need it, even at $1, and the tote for cloth bag storage is full.

Lots of other things I passed up, but since I don't recall them, I guess I didn't want them very much after all. 🙂

· Registered
1,464 Posts
We don't have a cookie jar. We eat them too fast.
I didn't buy a dehydrator since mine broke. I'll wait on that. DH said I was going to wear it out and sure enough...I spent a lot of time looking online, though. I'll can things for now.
I had gotten flooring samples but decided not to get flooring. Too pricey and maybe another time....

· Super Moderator
24,538 Posts
I don't like cookie jars because cookies get stale so fast in them.

What isn't working on your dehydrator? Can you get replacement parts and DIY a repair? Check YouTube for instructional videos to see if there's a way to fix your model and how difficult it might be. It might be easier than you think. I don't think most dehydrators are very complex and don't have many parts to go bad.

Many ovens are suitable for dehydrating. Of course, operating costs might be higher.

I got both of my dehydrators from secondhand sources. Maybe you will be lucky, too. The nice thing for me is that both use the same accessories, so I can stack the trays and only have to run one dehydator.

· Registered
13,263 Posts
The part that broke on my dehydrator was sealed in a lump of plastic and not fixable. I found that I can dry things just as well in the oven, but it does take some practice.

I cover a sheet pan with what I want to dry, for example sliced tomato or peppers. Turn oven on 350 for about 3 minutes. Turn oven off and slide pan in. Let that sit until the oven cools off. Check the pan, repeat as necessary until dry to your liking. Usually I repeat a couple times the first day, turning the oven on only long enough to get hot air going. Then it will finish the 2nd day after 1-2 more cycles.

The hardest part is getting DH to check the oven before he turns it on to heat up something else. He has destroyed entire sheet pans of tomatoes before.

· Registered
965 Posts
I loves my dehydrator back when I had the electric to run it. When I moved off grid I stored it then my sister's broke so I sent mine to her. She only needed the heat part but got 20 trays too

I didn't buy a bird feeder or a really cool enamel pan at thrift. Only a giant pan to heat water was on the list. Didn't find that

· Super Moderator
24,538 Posts
I love cool pans, too. That's why it hurt to leave that wonderful vintage roaster at thrift last month. The pain is slowly fading.

Maybe an enamel canner would be good for heating water. How much water? Would 2 or more sun tea jars work? Just tossing out ideas.I bet sun tea jars set inside a black trash bag on a hot day would get pretty dang hot. Or even a dark colored canner by itself.

· Registered
965 Posts
enamel canners do work...I've burned through a few since I get them dinged up and well used. Right now at thrift they want 12$ or more for a canner without the guts. I don't need the guts, but won't spend 12$.
I didn't buy 5gallon buckets this weekend! I could use 2 new ones to refine my summer laundry system. BUT at 7-8$ PER BUCKET I'm not going to do it. I'm going to sort the ones I have and clean up the best 2 for laundry and those that are carrying tools will now be the ones with ungluable holes. Those with gluable holes will get glued (with what I have lying around glue-wise) and put in to non-potable water hauling duty or chicken feed holdery.

CRIPES!!!
I am taking better care of buckets, bins, and metal pales.

· Registered
13,263 Posts
BUT at 7-8$ PER BUCKET I'm not going to do it. I'm going to sort the ones I have and clean up the best 2 for laundry
Yikes! Home Depot used to sell them for $1-2. Prices have gotten stupid.

Unfortunately today, I did buy quite a few things.....

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

· Registered
13,263 Posts
I passed on the option to get "free" magazines with an online purchase. I know they'll come with several year's worth of junk mail. But if you don't mind the extras in your box, this is the link: Mags.com

· Registered
965 Posts
Good for you Martha! I am only bringing 5$ cash (OK...I have a back up 5$ bill in a different pocket) to the farmers market where I sell today. So many good things, but only 14$ left in the grocery budget this week.

Here's hoping I can skip the treats.

· Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
The past few days have been cold, rainy soup-weather, and the universe has been tempting me fiercely with the idea of wonton soup from our local chinese place... they do a version that has tons of veggies and meat in it, very hearty... So far I have resisted,but it's been close a couple of times...

· Registered
13,263 Posts
Mnn. That sounds good. You can buy bags of wontons at a chinese grocery and make the soup at home fairly easily. It doesn't have hard to find ingredients. I'm going to have to put this on my soup list for later this month.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts