·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can make pretty much any soup if I have an onion or some garlic...or a dried/powdered version of either.
In fact, thanksgiving meal for me is probably going to be a jar of whatever meat I grab off the shelf, some garlic (out of onions) and whatever veggies I have. Throw it in the dutch oven right after breakfast and eat it all day.

Learning to make soup was one of the thriftiest things I ever did.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I don't think there is a right way to make vegetable soup.

I am reminded of something I read in a cookbook called "recipes from our immigrant grandmothers". The author actually went out and asked the grandmothers for their recipes. When he asked one of the ladies what to put for in soup, she said "whatever you have."

Some of our soup this Winter will be a big scoop of dried vegetables. When Covid started we ordered a lot of dried vegetables since we thought we might not be able to get fresh or frozen vegetables. Happily we were able to get fresh and frozen vegetables. But we still have a bunch of dried stuff we should start using.

It is not as good as using fresh stuff, but we did it a couple of times and it is pretty tasty.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can make a pretty good soup out of "whatever you have", but like the article says if you know a few tricks, like using herbs, earthy root vegs, and ingredients for texture you can make a better soup. Because at one point we've all had an insipid home made soup and not understood why it wasn't as good as we wanted.

I loved the Immigrant Ancestors cookbook, btw. It's one of the few I kept when I cleaned out my collection years ago.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
While I do like herbs and spices, I also have a liking for food others often think of as bland.

I see a lot of recipes to add things to vegitables to make them tasty. I actually like vegetables plain where all I taste is just the vegitables. When we would have lunches at work one lady would bring vegetables with olive oil, garlic and a bunch of spices. They were tasty. But I also felt like you don't need to do all that to vegitables to make them tasty.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I find, because Julia Child told us so, that a "bland" soup (whatever that is to each of us) can often be fixed with a bit of vinegar in the bowl right before you eat it. Better than salt even. I use whatever vinegar I have. Since I've been cutting salt I've been doing this more. Bit of vinegar and fresh ground pepper will fix a dull soup or one that I'm tired of because it's day 3.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use tomatoes. They have a bit of acid and an earthy flavor. Any time I have a little leftover tomato sauce I freeze it to use in soups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts