Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have lived in this apartment since sept and have had to listen to the people down stairs having sex, playing music that thumps through the floor. Partying etc until 1 or 2 in the morning. This morning the person from down stairs came up to complain that he can hear us in the morning. I can understand about the dog barking bothering him. I didn't even know the dog barked when I left. But seriously!!!! I can understand it being bothersome but really it is an apartment there will be a level of noise. I can hear the people upstairs walking around and peeing. GRRRRRRRRR I mean at least I know about the dog and can try to do something about it. But what am I supposed to do with a 7 year old with severe ADHD???? I do my best to keep her from running, and keep her calmish. Seriously though this just ticks me off so much. How can someone who partys all the time that you can hear the music word for word through the floor and feel the base coming up through the floor have the nerve to complain about hearing us in the morning. I am a pretty passive person I hate confrontation. I never handle it well so now I am all flustered.
So any ideas of what to do about the dog? The only thing I can think of is a muzzle when I leave and move his crate from my bedroom to the living room when I have to go out.
Okay thank you I needed to get that out.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
So I have lived in this apartment since sept and have had to listen to the people down stairs having sex, playing music that thumps through the floor. Partying etc until 1 or 2 in the morning. This morning the person from down stairs came up to complain that he can hear us in the morning. I can understand about the dog barking bothering him. I didn't even know the dog barked when I left. But seriously!!!! I can understand it being bothersome but really it is an apartment there will be a level of noise. I can hear the people upstairs walking around and peeing. GRRRRRRRRR I mean at least I know about the dog and can try to do something about it. But what am I supposed to do with a 7 year old with severe ADHD???? I do my best to keep her from running, and keep her calmish. Seriously though this just ticks me off so much. How can someone who partys all the time that you can hear the music word for word through the floor and feel the base coming up through the floor have the nerve to complain about hearing us in the morning. I am a pretty passive person I hate confrontation. I never handle it well so now I am all flustered.
So any ideas of what to do about the dog? The only thing I can think of is a muzzle when I leave and move his crate from my bedroom to the living room when I have to go out.
LOL, I just got a mental picture of you saying to him, while you bat your eyes, using your best Scarlett O'Hara voice "Oh, I DO declaaahhh, I had no IDEA we were disturbin' you, suh. :drama: I wouldn't wish to cause any type of rift between us neighbuuhhs, as y'all have always been so DIVINELY silent until ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT." (bat eyes, smile sweetly, slam door) ;)

Sorry, I was just having a bit of mental fun, thinking about how big an a$$ your neighbor is being. I wouldn't advise trying the Scarlett thing.

·
4,028 Posts
Are you able to put some sound barriers around the dogs crate?

Bare walls will make the barking sound louder. Perhaps hanging some thick fabric along the walls behind the crate, put some extra padding under the crate, and even put a blanket hanging over a chair in front of the crate sides that are exposed to the room.

I would be very concerned about putting heavy blankets directly over the crate for extended periods of time as it can change the dogs sleep patterns. But setting up a fabric "blockade" about 1-2 feet away from the crate may significantly help.

I would also let your landlord know that you are doing everything you can about the dog barking when you leave but it is not always possible to keep your child quiet. It would also be appropriate for you to inform him of the music and partying you hear in the wee hrs of the morning. You don't want to sound as though you are complaining to him if you have not already mentioned it to your downstairs neighbors. They might not realize they are that noisy... in terms of music or the sex.

hugs

Reactions: Rhiamon

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I would certainly NOT leave a muzzle on your dog while you aren't home.

You could try blocks of foam to absorb the sound - and I would move his crate to another room if you think it will help - maybe leave the tv on for him? Or get him a bone to chew on that will keep him busy?

Keep him away from window though - all the activity & noise will surely make him bark.....

Can you record your dog during the day? just for your own peace of mind, and to know how loud he really is?

I would think that if the neighbors stay up all night, anything in the morning is waking them up - even if it's the NORMAL activity levels -

you could tell the neighbor to imagine if you adopt those 2 year old quintuplets you were thinking about! ROFL!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
It's so difficult to keep the noise down when you have a young child with ADHD...if I had a nickel for everytime someone complained about my son when he was little, I'd be rich! Is the dog barking because you're gone? If so, leaving the TV on while you're gone may help....expensive solution, but not as expensive as moving.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone. I have spoken with the landlord several times about the music and noise from downstairs. So he knows I also went and told him what happened this morning so he had a heads up. He just couldn't believe that they would complain about us. He was just flabbergasted. I told him that I would do what I could about the dog, but there was not much I could do about DD. He told me that he knows the floors carry noise and that people should understand that you can hear people walking around. So not to worry about DD and that as long as I was trying to keep the dog quit he was not worried. He said that there are other dogs in the building way louder then mine, and that he can't hear him when he walks by the door doing his checks when I am not home.
I also told him that I was not happy about him coming up to me. He said if he comes back to tell him to go talk to the landlord and not me if he has a problem with me. It makes me real uncomfortable for several reasons. One being it is just DD and me, the other is that I know for a fact that drugs are being sold out of the building, and there were prostitutes working out of the building. (landlord found out and kicked them out) and I don't handle confrontation well as I grew up in a house as my psychiatrist put it was growing up in a war zone.
I live in one of the cheapest buildings in town at 775 a month. So there is bound to be some shady people, so I just keep to myself. I have a really good landlord though who likes me so I think that will help my case if things with downstairs ravers gets bad. He says I am friendly, clean, quit and I pick up after my dog so he says he has no problems with me at all.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
GRRRRRRRRR I mean at least I know about the dog and can try to do something about it. But what am I supposed to do with a 7 year old with severe ADHD???? I do my best to keep her from running, and keep her calmish. Seriously though this just ticks me off so much. How can someone who partys all the time that you can hear the music word for word through the floor and feel the base coming up through the floor have the nerve to complain about hearing us in the morning. I am a pretty passive person I hate confrontation. I never handle it well so now I am all flustered.
For the dog I would like to recommend Pet Safe no-barking ultrasound indoors unit. I have it and within days mine stopped barking and I no longer have to use it. For the next week or so I put it where they could visibly see it but I did not turn it on, now I don't even have it setting and they broke the habit of boredom barking. (I have 5 dogs, this is quite the accomplishment, hahaha!)

Here is the unit I have: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751312&lmdn=Dog

The dogs do not have to wear anything and it only takes a 9-volt battery which lasts a long time. Just use it when you are not home. Granted not every device works with every dog but I just had to share as I've had great luck with it and I feel its much more humane than de-barking a dog.

I hate conflict as well, I'm a very avoidance person. Hugs to you.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Don't they have special collars that can stop a dog from barking? Might be a way to keep the barking down while you are gone. As far as the complaining neighbor. I would have told him, "Thank you so much for letting me know. I know the walls are awfully thin. I can hear you every time you have sex or play your music".

·
4,028 Posts
Thank you everyone. I have spoken with the landlord several times about the music and noise from downstairs. So he knows I also went and told him what happened this morning so he had a heads up. He just couldn't believe that they would complain about us. He was just flabbergasted. I told him that I would do what I could about the dog, but there was not much I could do about DD. He told me that he knows the floors carry noise and that people should understand that you can hear people walking around. So not to worry about DD and that as long as I was trying to keep the dog quit he was not worried. He said that there are other dogs in the building way louder then mine, and that he can't hear him when he walks by the door doing his checks when I am not home.
I also told him that I was not happy about him coming up to me. He said if he comes back to tell him to go talk to the landlord and not me if he has a problem with me. It makes me real uncomfortable for several reasons. One being it is just DD and me, the other is that I know for a fact that drugs are being sold out of the building, and there were prostitutes working out of the building. (landlord found out and kicked them out) and I don't handle confrontation well as I grew up in a house as my psychiatrist put it was growing up in a war zone.
I live in one of the cheapest buildings in town at 775 a month. So there is bound to be some shady people, so I just keep to myself. I have a really good landlord though who likes me so I think that will help my case if things with downstairs ravers gets bad. He says I am friendly, clean, quit and I pick up after my dog so he says he has no problems with me at all.
It sounds as though your Landlord likes having you as a tenant! Good tenants are not easy to find and landlords will do their absolute best to keep them. :D WTG!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
You did the right thing about contacting your landlord. He obviously enjoys having you as a tenant which is a big plus. If the noise continues you can also ask the landlord if it would be possible to move to a quieter area. Not sure how big your apartment complex is. If it is a large complex he may let you do this.

Have had my share with a horrible neighbor and it really does make you feel helpless at times. But it really does sound as if your landlord will work with you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The solution is a bark collar...spent years trying to get our dog to stop barking. Ran to the door every time he stopped barking.

Spent $40 on the bark collar and it was some of the best money I've ever spent. Only took about two times before he figured it out. Funny part is that the second it's off and he goes outside, he lets the neighborhood know what's up.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
there are laws about noise at certain times in certain towns the day and when yours seem to be loud are during the day - their are late when not really legal in some areas.

i can just see judge judy telling them to stop staying up so late blasting music- partying and having loud sex and maybe the daytime noises wouldnt bother them so much .

its very nice of you to be concerned the way you are .

it would be funny to knock on their door next time they are having loud sex and tell them they are too loud and how do they expect you to explain their noises to your child ??

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would NOT muzzle the dog.

First thing I would try is leaving the tv on or a radio while you are gone. See if that helps. Your dog probably just feels lonely!!

As far as your daughter moving around and stuff that is to be expected from a child!! Good lord that person who complained needs to get over himself. You are going to hear noises in apartments. Try not to worry yourself about it. :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
it would be funny to knock on their door next time they are having loud sex and tell them they are too loud and how do they expect you to explain their noises to your child ??

I had a devilish idea. . . .Maybe she could tape them when they are loud and play it back with the volume on high in the morning. Then when they come a knocking, she would let them know that it is actually them on the tape.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Some people aren't very self-aware, but you said you've discussed the neighbor's noise with the manager. Has the manager talked to the neighbors?

When I lived in apartments, I basically just sucked it up as far as noise was concerned.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The manager did go talk to them the one time I did complain because it was so loud DD could not fall asleep even with a radio going. Normally I just try to ignore it. But that night it was real bad. I do understand that there is noise in apartments so I just deal with it you hear people, walking, talking etc. But I just couldn't believe that this guy would come up and complain to me when he party's all night. So he did turn his music off last night at 10 but I could still him laughing and talking and swearing through the floor. I think that I am going to look into getting a carpet with a foam underlay for my bedroom.
I talked to the people across the hall and they say they never hear us. So I think this guy is just being a jerk.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got one of those no bark things from walmart.. it is a as seen on tv thing its not a colar but a unit that you can turn on and there is a noise only they can hear it was only 10.00 and it worked.. mine like to sit on the porch in the summer and they bark at folks walking by just telling them hi im here... but it anoys the neighbors..

They also have them at dollar general. like the others said maybe hes lonley try the radio. but dont muzzle when you are not there...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.